Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #99

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
No incoming information on my end from PL either.

I have a 1500 mile trip later this month. It would be nice to have a fix before then to at least prevent further damage to the fiberglass. But I will likely continue to plan to go, fix or no fix.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #100

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The danger here is eventual wear-through of the FG where it gets rubbed. Tire wear would also be somewhat quicker. Tires would rub for short, irregular intervals and should not build up enough friction heat to cause a blowout. I doubt it is a safety issue, but it is nonetheless a very important issue that needs to be resolved.

Those Flexirides probably cost more, but they have great angle adjustability and seem like a better value to me.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #101

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Thanks guys for this discussion. We're planning to get an egg, likely an Escape, one reason due to the personal attention Reace has, but so does Chandler from all I've read on this forum. We're thinking of stopping by Parkliner on our way home next Monday from our visit here in NC. Hopefully he'll have this tire rub issue cleared up by then.

Adrian
Old 05-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #102

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Greetings Adrian, & best wishes on your egg-hunt.

If you can somehow work it into the conversation with Cameron or Chandler...i think mentioning the tire-rub issue will be actually a huge benefit for all of us. Nothing like a potential buyer asking about a current _issue_ than to put some fire under a designer/builder!

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #103

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
I know if it were mine, I would rather take that kind of step, if it would cure the issue, rather than having to do axle and frame work.
I wouldn't do anything. I'd leave it up to Parkliner to fix the problem under warranty. I wouldn't mess with the trailer or tires. It's Parkliner's problem and the need to come up with the solution. They don't need help.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #104

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I wouldn't do anything. I'd leave it up to Parkliner to fix the problem under warranty. I wouldn't mess with the trailer or tires. It's Parkliner's problem and the need to come up with the solution. They don't need help.
Glenn,
I agree that it is in fact a problem that Parkliner needs to solve. And from what we have heard from these owners so far, it sounds like the manufacturer is in fact going to do just that.

I'm certainly not trying to pick a bone with you, but I don't totally agree with your sentiment that "they don't need help". If it got out of the factory that way....ummm....maybe they "do" need help. All I am saying is that if ( key word here is "IF" ) the clearance interference issue is just a very slight one, and further, "if" this problem could be solved by using a tire of slightly smaller diameter, and further still, if I had one, and could go to an arguably better tire, with a higher speed rating, and a higher load capacity, AND solve the clearance issue, I'm just not seeing a downside to that at all, as a possible solution.

Again, I was not, and am not trying to stick my nose in it.... I have no dog in this fight. I was simply pointing out a possible easy solution to the problem, that would take 30 minutes to implement. A lot easier than grinding out welds and relocating an axle assembly. Especially, if said welding work would need to be done at the factory. It seems unlikely to me that a manufacturer would be willing to pay the expenses to have a trailer transported back to the mothership. So if the owner had to shoulder those transport costs....well....you see where I'm going with that.

All meant to be helpful....just some food for thought.

george
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #105

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
...All meant to be helpful....just some food for thought.
Thanks for your input George. And that's how i've taken your posts.
Cheers,
Thom
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #106

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
By "they don't need help", I meant they don't need owners messing around trying to fix a problem and possibly making it worse.
If Parkliner operates like Escape, they will have a warranty issue addressed, after they have identified the fix, where the owner lives and not expect them to return it to the factory.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #107

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Having spent 27 years as an auto engineer, I can tell you that there is nothing worse than having a problem that can stop production and may involve a recall of product in the field.

So, I think that it would be appreciated to gather facts (as opposed to proposed solutions) to help this get resolved. On such a low production product it can be hard to come by enough data, just due to the small sample size.

I'm not directing this to anyone, just stating what I'd appreciate if I was stuck with finding a solution.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #108

Alabama
One of the unique things about this situation is that PL might not even HAVE a unit with the problem they can test with...they sell 'em as they build 'em so unless an older demo unit is also rubbing, well, this here forum might be some of the best "testing" they can do.

I just picked up the last one on Saturday so I know they don't have another one yet completed.

I am a little surprised they haven't contacted one of us to maybe help with exploring fix options. I'd be glad to go put on some new tires and take a trip! Maybe I can work that into a full-time job as a professional camper tester for all the builders!

Again, I'm just speculating but since we haven't had any direct information for a couple of days, that is all we can do.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #109

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
By "they don't need help", I meant they don't need owners messing around trying to fix a problem and possibly making it worse.
If Parkliner operates like Escape, they will have a warranty issue addressed, after they have identified the fix, where the owner lives and not expect them to return it to the factory.
And one would hope they will in fact be able to get the problem addressed local to the owner. I just didn't ( and don't, I guess I should say ) know how these smaller manufacturers deal with this kind of stuff when they don't have a dealer network.

I also hang out on the Airstream forum, and I can tell you there at least some folks who own that brand that actually take their trailer back to the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio, simply because they feel they will get better repairs than they might at the local dealer. From the threads and reports I have read, when those owners choose that route, then certainly all of the costs to get it there and back and their lodging etc while there is paid for out of the owners pocket. Some of these guys are spending many hundreds if not a thousand dollars or more of their own to get factory warranty work done. Go figure.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #110

Alabama
A picture of the Parkliner factory! The one on the left in the middle is the one I took home. You and *just* see a few frames stacked up over to the left.

This should give everyone who hasn't yet seen a picture and idea of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
20130427_120252.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #111

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm curious if any of the problem owners have taken their units to a rv dealer and them inspect and give an opinion. Those too far away from the factory will have to do this anyway before Dexter will approve any warranty repairs.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #112

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Just cuz i feel like a little drive around town...

Tomorrow i'm going to stop by my local Les Schwab tire center as they install and work on (even replace dexter axles) on trailers. I am doing this simply with the idea that an extra set of professional eyes on the situation may shed some light for Chandler/Parkliner.

Also since i'm out and about, i have a Dexter certified dealer/repair shop in town that i'm going to stop by and pick their brains also.

Again, this legwork is done with a heart on helping out in whatever way a couple other professional's observations and possible suggestions and pass onto Chandler

Thom

Tags
parkliner