Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
Brian M. in NY's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Posts: 371
Registry
Received the following in an email from Chandler this morning:

"I am going ASAP to get a trailer from another customer that has the same issue; that way I can see better what is going on. We are working on it, and will have a fix for you ASAP. On the surface, it looks like different brands of tires vary in diameter, but we will see.

I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience."

Obviously, Chandler is very concerned and is working on the problem. I'm sure that it would take a great deal of time to communicate individually with each of the affected owners. Time that would be better spent resolving the issue. If anyone else gets any feedback from Chandler, please post. Sorry I didn't get this up sooner.
__________________

__________________
Brian M.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Received the following in an email from Chandler this morning:

"I am going ASAP to get a trailer from another customer that has the same issue; that way I can see better what is going on. We are working on it, and will have a fix for you ASAP. On the surface, it looks like different brands of tires vary in diameter, but we will see.

I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience."

Obviously, Chandler is very concerned and is working on the problem. I'm sure that it would take a great deal of time to communicate individually with each of the affected owners. Time that would be better spent resolving the issue. If anyone else gets any feedback from Chandler, please post. Sorry I didn't get this up sooner.
Thanks for the update!

I agree, I don't expect him to respond to each of us individually until he finds the solution. If we all just report back any communication to this forum, we will all be in the loop.

Thanks again!

It also appears there is a 4th trailer with the issue, so I definitely feel like this will be something fairly easy for them to trace back to a "when" and that may lead to a "why."

If it just turns out to be the tire diameter issue, some of the posters here nailed it! And that would be the solution that would make me happiest as I can get that fixed local and quick!
__________________

__________________
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
I received a similar email back from Cameron a bit ago. He also stated they were following this thread and were grateful for the support they see taking place.

As a "tire size" note... what Chandler noted on differing sizes was exactly what i was told over the phone at Les Schwab tires...not so much with radials, but definitely with bias ply which is what our current tires are (as much as 1" +/- on a 205/75/D14 bias tire!

ALSO...during the tire center call...they also stated that wheel off-set will make a difference and be a possible solution/work around in some cases. #035 has a measured ~2" clearance on the inner tire to trailer. I believe there was someone with a Scamp? that found a similar situation...going inward and gaining outer clearance.

Just ramblin' as Cari cooks up some steaks
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #116
Commercial Member
 
Name: Chandler
Trailer: Park Liner 15
Posts: 12
I thought I would chime in as this thread has been brought to my attention by Cameron, who is adept at keeping up with the social end of things where I am not. I am Chandler from Park Liner.

First, I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, yet really do appreciate being told of this problem before more trailers go out with it. We aim to have a fix for it by Friday, and it will be fixed.

For all those of you who slicing around in the dark: We have used three brands of axles, four brands of tires, and five brands of rims. I have been trying to correlate types with the problem, and you will probably get a call from me shortly if I don't know what hardware you are running.

It is true that there is wide variation in diameter between tires of different brands and even within the same brand.

In the meantime, thanks to each of you Park Liner owners out there for your patience and understanding; you are a great group of people.

Best, Chandler
__________________
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Posts: 172
Why, I couldn't be happier!

Well, I could. Instead of being on this forum I could be hanging out with Olivia Wilde. Outside of that, I'm doing pretty good.
__________________
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Brian M. in NY's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Posts: 371
Registry
I second the motion!

Just had to update my avatar to show some of that ParkLiner luv'. Just finished painting in the carving on my campsite sign and this seemed a fitting way of celebrating!
__________________
Brian M.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #119
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Wink

So would it be the House/Dr version? or the SciFi Chick TRON version?

I'm partial to the final TRON scene with her in biker-chick leathers. And yes, my wife approves also. Did i say that?
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
So would it be the House/Dr version? or the SciFi Chick TRON version?

I'm partial to the final TRON scene with her in biker-chick leathers. And yes, my wife approves also. Did i say that?
I have a thing for the brainy tough gals...so combine them please!

Your wife is a keeper!
__________________
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #121
Senior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
I second the motion!

Just had to update my avatar to show some of that ParkLiner luv'. Just finished painting in the carving on my campsite sign and this seemed a fitting way of celebrating!
I was wondering what they heck that was when it was unpainted...it looked like stamped metal or something. I had been meaning to ask.

It looks great! You will be easy to find at the campgrounds!
__________________
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #122
Senior Member
 
Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Posts: 588
This kind of issue is basically “teething problem” in the design process. Without the benefit of sophisticated mechanical design and modeling software there can be issues that arise requiring some corrections. Ideally a suspension designer would cycle the system to check parameters in all positions of travel. It is difficult to cycle a torsion axle due to the inability to remove the spring from the system. One would have to load the system with actual weight to bottom the suspension. Alternately an axle could be fabricated with bushings and no springs, and the trailer could be lifted with jacks to articulate the suspension through its travel. Another approach would be to use strings and rulers to try to approximate what would be expected, and then make a prototype to test. If it rubs, move something until it doesn’t rub. Then document the dimensions and go into production. The design more or less just evolves. In some cases the design is correct on paper, but slips occur in actual production which can cause these issues. Setting up solid fixtures and tooling instead of measuring tapes would help in that department.
I’m sure the manufacturer will figure out the best way to eliminate the rubbage issue. Existing units will possibly require a different fix than future ones. Changes to axle length or position, tire or wheel dimensions, fiberglass mold changes could fix it. They have a fine design that may just need a little tweek.
No worries,
Russ
__________________
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #123
GPJ
Senior Member
 
Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
This kind of issue is basically “teething problem” in the design process. Without the benefit of sophisticated mechanical design and modeling software there can be issues that arise requiring some corrections. Ideally a suspension designer would cycle the system to check parameters in all positions of travel. It is difficult to cycle a torsion axle due to the inability to remove the spring from the system. One would have to load the system with actual weight to bottom the suspension. Alternately an axle could be fabricated with bushings and no springs, and the trailer could be lifted with jacks to articulate the suspension through its travel. Another approach would be to use strings and rulers to try to approximate what would be expected, and then make a prototype to test. If it rubs, move something until it doesn’t rub. Then document the dimensions and go into production. The design more or less just evolves. In some cases the design is correct on paper, but slips occur in actual production which can cause these issues. Setting up solid fixtures and tooling instead of measuring tapes would help in that department.
I’m sure the manufacturer will figure out the best way to eliminate the rubbage issue. Existing units will possibly require a different fix than future ones. Changes to axle length or position, tire or wheel dimensions, fiberglass mold changes could fix it. They have a fine design that may just need a little tweek.
No worries,
Russ

I'm not sure that sophisticated software would help in this case. My experience is that modeling software is a first step, but issues like this are worked out in the prototype stage. That's where you modify your design to deal with the reality that rears its ugly head when you test your prototype to extremes that would not normally be encountered.

The real issue to my mind comes from Chandlers post where he says "We have used three brands of axles, four brands of tires, and five brands of rims" - and they have only built about 35 units. This seems a rather bizarre situation and fraught with potential problems. Settle on a good brand and stick with it! Develop long term supplier relationships. Apart from the current problem - how do you deal with problems when they arise if there is very little parts commonality amongst the user base.

Anyway - that's my two cents - I'm looking forward to hearing the final resolution of this problem. Best wishes for a speedy resolution to Parkliner and all concerned.
__________________
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #124
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
...Your wife is a keeper!
30 years this Memorial Day weekend! It's been a SciFi Comedy adventure
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
The real issue to my mind comes from Chandlers post where he says "We have used three brands of axles, four brands of tires, and five brands of rims" - and they have only built about 35 units. This seems a rather bizarre situation and fraught with potential problems. Settle on a good brand and stick with it! Develop long term supplier relationships. Apart from the current problem - how do you deal with problems when they arise if there is very little parts commonality amongst the user base.
I don't think Chandler is fickle in sampling available components at this early stage of his business. Suppliers don't treat small manufacturers much better than an individual. Thousands of sales gets their interest. The suppliers take care of their biggest customers first and then work down the pecking order. The little guy is lucky to get ANY parts. He will settle into a preferred supplier list after dealing with them for a while, and that will make it easier for his business to handle these unfortunate issues when they arise.
Russ
__________________
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #126
Senior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
30 years this Memorial Day weekend! It's been a SciFi Comedy adventure
Congrats!
__________________

__________________
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parkliner


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WA: Parkliner Thomas G. Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 19 04-15-2013 10:37 PM
Looking for a Parkliner Jomoflymo General Chat 29 03-02-2013 08:12 PM
Parkliner WaltP General Chat 70 11-08-2012 06:54 PM
Parkliner, Anyone? GingerB Hi, I am.... 6 04-25-2012 07:56 AM
Something going on with ParkLiner? harryjhere General Chat 32 11-17-2011 03:27 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.