Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #161
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
LOL...yup...moving the axle back a 1/2" would do the trick!
I just hope the solution is easier...that dexter axle is welded and incorporated into the frame design on the parkliner. And well, i'd sorta like to use my #035 this camping season!
Well there is a solution and there is a workaround. I'd guess that you will get new wheels/tires...and hey, that will take care of the rubbing problem.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #162
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
LOL...yup...moving the axle back a 1/2" would do the trick!
I just hope the solution is easier...that dexter axle is welded and incorporated into the frame design on the parkliner.
I wonder why they weld the axle? Dexter makes a bracket that bolts to the axle and is then welded to the frame. This makes axle replacement much easier. While Dexter warrants the axle they make it clear that if the axle has been welded, it's at the customers expense to remove it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #163

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
i took some pictures in case my eyes were deceiving me...
here is the digital proof...they are welds rather than bolts on #035 axle:
Attached Thumbnails
PL035axle02.jpg   PL035axle01.jpg  

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #164

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hummm looks like the manufacture didn't considered what happens when the day comes that the trailer needs a new axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #165

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
This is the axle????? I've never seen a torsion axle welded to the cross members under the frame! Those I'm familiar with have an upcurve in the middle that supposedly flexes, or so I thought.

Here's the side shot- can sombody 'splain what's going on there...is this what's known as a "half-axle" setup? I think Dexter sells those.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #166

Astoria Oregon
Registry
the upper shot showing the beam goes from one side of trailer to the other and the lower shot is a close up of where the beam has an angle bar with bolt holes (unused in PL design) and then you see the swing arm. There is only _one_ piece to assembly (ok lots of parts but not two half axles).
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #167

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Interesting

After reading all 12 pages of posts I've come to a suggest conclusion of the cause of the problem. In manufacturing there's this thing call "tolerance stack up". Studies are made on every part and specification to insure that the tolerances don't stack up and become a problem.
With changing axle and tire manufactures the tolerances have also increase, thus it's it more likely to run into tolerance stack up problems.
If my assumption is correct the only real fix is to replace the axle with one that's closer to design specifications. Anything else is a band-aid.

All you engineers should know what I'm talking about.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #168
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
i took some pictures in case my eyes were deceiving me...
here is the digital proof...they are welds rather than bolts on #035 axle:
Thanks very much for the photos - very informative.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #169

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
There are offsetting errors as well as stack errors. Should have used those big honkin wheel wells like Casita and Escape do. I think it's just as well to use a removable skirt as to invite this mess. You would think the "little guy" who can't buy in volume such that he's at the mercy of whoever will supply him at the moment would know this and loosen up a bit on the uncompromising fit and quality angle. Chandler strikes me as a decent chappie so I hope the problem is resolved to everyone's satisfaction and doesn't dig a hole in his cash flow. From the qc pov, he's lucky to have you as customers.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #170
Raz

Most of our trailers have just the axle flange welded ( or brackets bolted to the flange welded) and the frame sits above the axle. Here the frame has cut outs that are welded to the center portion of the axle. I'm not sure how that effects the bow we typically see but I suspect the idea is to put the trailer body lower to the ground.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #171

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
There are offsetting errors as well as stack errors. Should have used those big honkin wheel wells like Casita and Escape do. I think it's just as well to use a removable skirt as to invite this mess. You would think the "little guy" who can't buy in volume such that he's at the mercy of whoever will supply him at the moment would know this and loosen up a bit on the uncompromising fit and quality angle. Chandler strikes me as a decent chappie so I hope the problem is resolved to everyone's satisfaction and doesn't dig a hole in his cash flow. From the qc pov, he's lucky to have you as customers.

jack
Offsetting errors???
Is that a new engineering term?

I have no doubt that Chandler is decent chap, and is doing the best that he can under the circumstances, with the exception of multiple suppliers of critical components.
Basic rule of any manufacturing don't change components until you know the effect of changing those components.
During part of my working days I ran a department that the main job was to evaluate any proposed component change to understand the effect of the change. That includes the same component, but different manufacturer.
During the design process you can mitigate some the effects by designing to allow larger tolerances. It doesn't make any difference whether the design was done by a "barn yard" engineer or a professional engineer attention to major items are essential. Running gear in a trailer, in my opinion, is a major item.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #172

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When you are up to your arse in alligators it is hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp.

Given the scope of his operation and the fact that he is cook, head waiter and bottle washer, Chandler is doing a bang up job in generating a nice product with good value.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #173

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
...Chandler is doing a bang up job in generating a nice product with good value.
Agree 100%

...and i've got tire rub...but a fix is on the way per an email this afternoon. (tire swap, w/tires being dropped shipped to a tire center of our choice to do the work paid for by PL)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #174
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
When you are up to your arse in alligators it is hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp.

Given the scope of his operation and the fact that he is cook, head waiter and bottle washer, Chandler is doing a bang up job in generating a nice product with good value.
I couldn't agree more. Further, when it hit the fan with my Trillium, I would love to have had a Chandler to deal with. He wants this to work. Raz
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #175

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
But is this a permanent fix ? Didn't someone say something about sag over time?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #176

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
But is this a permanent fix ? Didn't someone say something about sag over time?
I commented on that possibility earlier in this thread. Sag-Over-Time will only increase clearance in this situation, not decrease it. If a tire swap will do the job (which i proved at the local tire center yesterday) then that is fine with me.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #177

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
(Sorry on my droid at work). Ok then that sounds great! Glad no more hair pulling

Now Brian... you had some fiberglass wear...taking a ride down south?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #178

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Looking at the photos in posts #163 and 165 I'm not liking the way the wiring is run to the brakes. Possible rub points?? The one Parkliner we saw was a very nice looking trailer, but the basic mechanicals have to be done correctly too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #179

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Quote:
I commented on that possibility earlier in this thread. Sag-Over-Time will only increase clearance in this situation, not decrease it. If a tire swap will do the job (which i proved at the local tire center yesterday) then that is fine with me.
I *think* I am good with the fix. The email I received was a little short on details...such as what they feel caused the problem and the brand/size of the replacement tires.

I may not have much more than a little clear coat damage, but I want to discuss that with them also.
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #180

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Here is a related question for you all!

What is the best product to safely remove tire rubber from fiberglass?!

Elbow grease?!
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner