Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #241

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My 2 cent opinion. Axle alignment is measured from the center of the ball to some point on the outer edge of the axle, preferably but not necessarily to the center of the spindle. This is how we did big cargo trailers, center of the kingpin to a pointed tool that centered on the spindle. Many manufacturers use a jig or fixture to align parts that are to be welded together. I believe if this is the case with the Parkliner frames, if that fixture is a little off, then the axle alignment could be off of its correct position. Another idea; how were the molds made for the trailer body, could it be they were hand made and the left and right wheel wells are not exactly the same size and shape, or the body is not perfectly aligned on the frame when bolted down, resulting in a variance of clearance between the well and tires from one side to another. I have encountered incorrect alignment of welded parts on big trucks, and many of these parts get out there before someone catches the error. Just my opinion of a possible explanation, but a good alignment check will have to be done to narrow down the problem.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #242

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Who is Marisa Miller?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #243

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Who is Marisa Miller?
I was wondering the same thing. Glad you asked!
Linda
Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #244

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You guys lead sheltered lives, even I know who Marisa Miller is. Careful when you open up this website... your eyes might bleed: Marisa Miller
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #245

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You guys lead sheltered lives, even I know who Marisa Miller is. Careful when you open up this website... your eyes might bleed: Marisa Miller
There we go getting off topic again! I don't think anyone will mind this time, though!
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #246

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I thought she may have been the welder these guys were complaining about
Old 08-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #247

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Never heard of her.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #248

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I too had to do a yahoo search for Miss Miller. I must be getting old......
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #249

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I went to the site, and I still don't know who she is.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #250

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Glenn, she's a Victoria's Secret model. Now, back to the original topic. I just thought pointing a website of Ms. Miller y'all would be rubbing your eyes... and this thread title is about "Rub Issues." Hey, I can spin anything...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #251

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
i realize this next bit is not to scientific

I can fit my thumb between the street side tread and wheel well, but can only fit my pinky (thickness) between tread and well on curbside... so there is a difference.

With the 205's i couldn't even fit my pinky in there!
I have not read all the posts, but if I understand correctly the tires rub on the inside of the wheelwells and there is enough room at the outside of the wheelwells. If that is the case, how about using wheel spacers, like in the link below.

Wheel Spacers and Wheel Spacer Parts at JCWhitney.com

Eibach Wheel Spacer at Auto Parts Warehouse
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #252

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Yeah, forget Victoria's Secret; let's stay on topic... "Parkliner's Secret."

Hey, those wheel spacers sound interesting. What about it, PL owners? Could they help? It would be less expensive than two new tires, or moving or changing the axle.

About frame building, I bet PL is farming that out. I do know that Snoozy has frames built for them; they get them in all complete and attach their FG bodies. It seems sensible and common for a small startup to farm out some fabrication. But some knowledge of the farmed-out work is still needed, to ensure that it is done appropriately.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #253

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
Knowing what I know now I would have taken more pictures of that stack of frames than I would of Marisa Miller...
I'm glad the PL's bare no family resemblance to Ms.Miller because the line during the last EggFest to see the inside would have been substantially longer than it already was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
I have not read all the posts, but if I understand correctly the tires rub on the inside of the wheelwells and there is enough room at the outside of the wheelwells...
Well actually the wheel rub is on the forward wall of the inside face of the outside wall of the wheel wells (say that fast ten times!)...so spacing outward would make things worse. And the tire guys tried to find a negative-off-set 14" rim (take it in 1/2") but could not locate one for our bolt pattern ,( THAT would do two things, add some bling and take care of the rub.

This is a shot of the curb side well during my initial repair project, i've patched the area and next i gave two coats of grey epoxy. The current rub is in same area, just smaller impact zone.

Honestly, my suggestion to PL would be to ditch the cute retro look on the well and just hack the mold and go Casita style!

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #254

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
im pretty certain they farm out the trailers... i have a sticker on mine that says it was made in dec 2011 but the parkliner wasnt completed till feb 2012.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #255

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Well actually the wheel rub is on the forward wall of the inside face of the outside wall of the wheel wells (say that fast ten times!)...so spacing outward would make things worse. And the tire guys tried to find a negative-off-set 14" rim (take it in 1/2") but could not locate one for our bolt pattern
Thom
Some of the spacers can convert one bolt pattern to another if that is the limiting factor. If the tire guys can't find a 1/2" negative offset maybe they could find a 1.5" negative offset and you could use a 1" spacer (positive offset) to get the required 1/2" negative offset.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #256

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
.......... If the tire guys can't find a 1/2" negative offset maybe they could find a 1.5" negative offset and you could use a 1" spacer (positive offset) to get the required 1/2" negative offset.
Right, I like simple solutions, too.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #257

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Are there any brand new Parkliner owners watching this thread that can report back the current status? I would assume they are still rolling new units out the door so I am curious of all of the new ones still have the problem. If not, is it the same tires? Same axle?

Have anyone with a unit on order received any feedback from Parkliner?
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #258

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
I'm glad the PL's bare no family resemblance to Ms.Miller because the line during the last EggFest to see the inside would have been substantially longer than it already was

Well actually the wheel rub is on the forward wall of the inside face of the outside wall of the wheel wells (say that fast ten times!)...so spacing outward would make things worse. And the tire guys tried to find a negative-off-set 14" rim (take it in 1/2") but could not locate one for our bolt pattern ,( THAT would do two things, add some bling and take care of the rub.

This is a shot of the curb side well during my initial repair project, i've patched the area and next i gave two coats of grey epoxy. The current rub is in same area, just smaller impact zone.

Honestly, my suggestion to PL would be to ditch the cute retro look on the well and just hack the mold and go Casita style!

Thom
Curb side photo, ok. From that photo, it looks like there would be no rub if (1) the axle did not pivot up as high as it does, or (2) the axle were mounted a bit farther to the rear. Am I seeing that correctly?

PL is highly unlikely to want to change the mold if something else can be changed instead. Because the molds are very expensive to make, and once created they would want to get their money's worth out of the investment.

I think they could more readily change their frame and axle attachment design. If they weld in a cross member where the axle currently is welded in, then bolt the axle to that (preferable to welding it), the wheels would sit below the wells. It would add a couple inches of height to the PL and perhaps 10 or 20 lbs. Of course, other frame/axle modifications have been mentioned that would accomplish the same thing, too. My point is that if they would just step back from their self-imposed construction schedule treadmill and take time to examine and rectify this problem, they could announce to all that they have fixed the problem (with a minimum of fuss and expense!) and happily resume production with full customer confidence.

Business consultants charge big bucks for this type of advice. Why is my advice still free? Hmmmm, maybe I should start charging....
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #259

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Andy & Tom, thx for the idea...i will ask the tire boyz if that is possible on my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Curb side photo, ok. From that photo, it looks like there would be no rub if (1) the axle did not pivot up as high as it does, or (2) the axle were mounted a bit farther to the rear. Am I seeing that correctly?..
Mike, that is my take on the situation also. And the more loaded (up to a point) the further away from the forward rub area. This is a 3500lb cap axle with an at-the-scales loaded weight of 2400lbs. Maybe if i install that marble flooring my wife has been eyeing that would take care of the rub

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #260

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought she may have been the welder these guys were complaining about
Good one, Jim!

Miller - Welding Equipment - MIG/TIG/Stick Welders & Plasma Cutting
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags