Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #281

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Is there anyone on this thread/site/forum who is a fiberglass repair guru?

I would really like to go down the road of expanding the wheel wells on my unit, but I don't really know the impacts to the overall integrity of the structure if I do that. It appears to my untrained eye, that the wheel wells are part of the basic support due to their overall thickness...if I have someone who doesn't understand fiberglass trailers go cutting on that, it seems like I could risk ruining the whole unit.

I could try a boat repair shop, but I am not sure they would have enough knowledge to know how to proceed.

Is Parkliner really the only source who can ultimately answer this question?
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #282

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I know it's a whole different look, but just for comparison, have you seen the wheel wells on the White Water 155 Retro Fiberglass?

2014 Riverside White Water 155 Retro Fiberglass, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Mount Vernon, Indiana | Gerton Auto Sales | RVMotorized.com - 134594

I haven't seen one in person, but from the picture (sorry that it's from a commercial ad, but it's the best side shot I could find) - now that's what I call "margin for variation"! Looks like you could lift it a bit and throw some 20 inch rims under there!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #283

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mark, there is Oliver in TN. They are experts.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #284

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Mark, there is Oliver in TN. They are experts.
Do you know if they do repair to non-Oliver units?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #285

Don't know, thought it would be worth an ask since it's not too far from you.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #286

Mark,
going off memory here, but i think snoozy said on the forum here they would at one time. A further drive for you, but it might be a plan B for you. Best of luck.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #287

Alabama
Quote:
Don't know, thought it would be worth an ask since it's not too far from you.
I appreciate the tip. I just checked out their website and sent them a note!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #288

If you dont get a response, Robert a member of the forum here, said try his email robertpartee@olivertechnologies.com
I don't want to side track this thread so I better back out, Good luck.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #289

Alabama
Quote:
If you dont get a response, Robert a member of the forum here, said try his email robertpartee@olivertechnologies.com
I don't want to side track this thread so I better back out, Good luck.
Still the same thread for sure. I am just trying another angle on fixing the rubbing issues.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #290

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cari & i've been down at a river camping since last weekend...
As of this post i've received no reply from Cameron/Chandler/Parkliner on what they plan to do for our PL#35's ongoing tire rub issue. I will certainly report in here once they share any ideas.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #291

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Another question I would want resolved is whether 5 or 10 yrs down the road when your axle begins to wear and some sagging occurs (happens to all of us), will the tire rub issue reappear at that time? I feel the same as Brian when he said, "it seems like there isn't enough margin for reasonably expected variations".
In one of the earlier post I thought I read that an owner had 4 or 5 large guys from the tire store stand on the floor over the axle, moving the tire up from load increased clearance. Not an absolute duplication of a worn axle but might be a reassuring indicator of tire position as axle rubbers age and trailer sags.

Sorry just not willing to dig back through 20 pages to find a page and post number.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #292

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Accrete's post #150 on page 11, Roger. I doubt if revisiting the ephemera of observation is going to improve on Brian's conclusion.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #293

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The prediction of a future "sweet spot" in the orientation of a torsion arm reminds me of the "Are You Being Served?" universal response to the problem of fit in off-the-rack suits for men: "It'll ride up with wear." No alterations necessary. The difficulty of grasping such straws, except in humorous relief, is immense.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #294

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
In one of the earlier post I thought I read that an owner had 4 or 5 large guys from the tire store stand on the floor over the axle, moving the tire up from load increased clearance. Not an absolute duplication of a worn axle but might be a reassuring indicator of tire position as axle rubbers age and trailer sags.
Good, but how did they simulate the growth in overall diameter of the tire due to the speed of rotation? Oh, right, missed that detail...

Also, the trailer weight plus a thousand pounds of added static load seems likely to be less than the dynamic load of two thousand pounds of trailer going over a significant bump.

I probably wouldn't think of every factor that would affect clearance if I were designing a trailer from scratch, but it's easier to spot them with hindsight. Apparently there's a reason most trailers have a bunch of space around the tire.
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself."
- common saying, perhaps attributable to Eleanor Roosevelt
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #295

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself."
- common saying, perhaps attributable to Eleanor Roosevelt
Me like, will add to my collection, right by "If I can't make it right, I guess I'll just make it adjustable" - anon

It did seem like from that ad hoc test sag at least might not make problem worse once dealt with in current configuration.

Innovation is often painful process of having to make your own mistakes, I wish the company and the customers that support that innovation the best of luck in finding a good solution.

Now I'm off to see if HD has an oval drill bit that drills slotted holes, tired of the darn things not lining up after I drill both parts.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #296

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Now I'm off to see if HD has an oval drill bit that drills slotted holes, tired of the darn things not lining up after I drill both parts.
You jest, but there are at least two different designs of drill press rigs which make a square hole in a single pass. I wouldn't be shocked if someone made oval holes... although of course not with an oval bit!

But seriously... drill with a plunge router, shift it one direction after plunging all the way through and voilà: oval hole.

I remember one of the major auto manufacturers proudly announced (now many years ago) that a new model was their first which didn't have oval bolt holes on the front fenders because they had reached new heights of precision and bolt-sized round holes actually lined up well enough that they could put the fenders on.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #297

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
End mill. It's not exact good on the bearings.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #298

In addition to GPJ's post and #297 above, here is 8-22 update for further reading if interested.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post412876

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I guess not everyone is reading these threads. Cameron said "As for the customers, the warranty process went as follows: Send in your pictures. Take your ParkLiner to the nearest tire shop. We will ship them the correct tires, and then cover the costs."

So to my mind, the issue is resolved.

All my best to you.

Frank
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #299

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jared; nice work there. I've got an old Timken bench top milling machine, haven't used it since I bought it, got it along with an old Atlas lathe.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #300

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
looks like someone is building a steam powered bike?

Tags
parkliner