Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Parkliner Tire Rub issues?

I just got my new Parkliner on Saturday!

I will save the story of picking it up for another post, but it was quite an adventure. They finished it while I waited!

So the unit was completed, we did a walk-thru, and then I drove it home (8 hours to Birmingham).

Now that I am home, I notice that both tires have rubbed the front of the fender wells. They do not rub as a normal course of just the tire rolling, so it must have been at some point during some suspension flex.

I plan to contact Chandler, but as many Parkliner folks know, getting in touch with him is VERY difficult. I thought I might start here and see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks everyone!

Mark
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Are you talking on top of the the tire where tread is, or inside sidewall or outside sidewall? Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
lets see some pictures!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Are you talking on top of the the tire where tread is, or inside sidewall or outside sidewall? Thanks.

The rubbing is happening on the inside of the well, at the front of well. It is on the streetside of the well, on both sides of the trailer.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps the tire was under inflated creating a wider than normal tire pattern?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #6

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps the tire was under inflated creating a wider than normal tire pattern?
I will check the tire inflation, but I JUST drove it "off the lot" so to speak and I watched as they installed the tires and checked inflation. I would be a little surprised if they under inflated the tires on purpose.

An interesting note...the exit door at the Parkliner location is 8' tall and the trailer is 8'3" tall. So to get them out the door they have to remove the rim/tire and they temporarily roll it out on a set of rims only. It's pretty funny. Anyway, I watched as the reinstalled, checked the torque on the bolts, inflated and checked the inflation.

One question, on these kind of trailers, is there any horizontal flex that might occur (as opposed to the north/south flex I would expect to occur with any suspension system)?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I second the request for pictures- it's hard to visualize what you're describing. Is there any sign of wear on the tires themselves, or just black rub marks on the trailer body?

And hopefully by now you've called/E-mailed Parkliner about this...any feedback as to what might be going on?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I second the request for pictures- it's hard to visualize what you're describing. Is there any sign of wear on the tires themselves, or just black rub marks on the trailer body?

And hopefully by now you've called/E-mailed Parkliner about this...any feedback as to what might be going on?

Francesca
I haven't yet contacted Parkliner. As many posts here indicate, they are still a very small operation and do not really answer their phone or return emails with any kind of speed (it takes days or weeks). At this point, they are struggling just to meet their production deadlines (my trailer was several days late, which is why I ended up waiting on it...in fact, I helped clean it to speed things along the day I picked it up.) I may send them something in the postal mail as I think that may be the best way to get in contact with them.

The tires are brand new and I don't see any abnormal wear. Just black marks on the body.

I will post pictures as soon as I can, but the trailer is currently stored about 30 minutes from where I live. I might not be able to post pics until the weekend.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If I were Parkliner I would want you to call me just so I could correct what might be a design or construction error.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #10

Registry
I'm frankly puzzled as to the purpose of posting a thread about this without giving the manufacturer a chance to even address the issue. Chandler of Parkliner is a member here and may want to participate in this public discussion of a problem that according to you he has no knowledge of.

It would perhaps be appropriate to at least send him a site-based private message with a link to this thread. Here's a link to his profile page if you want to send such a message.

There may be the simplest explanation for what you're seeing, or there could be something there that should be addressed immediately. Best place to start is with the builder!

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #11

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If I were Parkliner I would want you to call me just so I could correct what might be a design or construction error.
I called and as expected, they did not answer. I don't expect a return call based on previous experience. Before I picked up my unit, I was told a mid-April delivery (placed order Jan/Feb timeframe). As I neared mid-April, I tried for three weeks via three emails (two addresses), four phone calls, and even a post on the their Facebook page...all of which were not returned. After sending in a $1,900 deposit, that is VERY frustrating.

When Chandler finally called to let me know how things were looking, he wasn't aware of any of my attempts at contacting Parkliner. In short, I fear that as a new Parkliner owner I think I am pretty much on my own when it comes to repair and support. I think I could just show up at the shop and get some results, but that isn't a short drive at all especially when I can't count on getting service on that particular day.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #12

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm frankly puzzled as to the purpose of posting a thread about this without giving the manufacturer a chance to even address the issue. Chandler of Parkliner is a member here and may want to participate in this public discussion of a problem that according to you he has no knowledge of.

It would perhaps be appropriate to at least send him a site-based private message with a link to this thread. Here's a link to his profile page if you want to send such a message.

There may be the simplest explanation for what you're seeing, or there could be something there that should be addressed immediately. Best place to start is with the builder!

Francesca
See my previous post, and Chandler told me he never checks this site.

As I have stated, my communication from Parkliner is nearly non-existent so to remove your confusion, I am seeking opinions from folks I know have likely seen something like this before and can help me!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark, Reads like you did the correct things. I'm always amazed that at least two manufacturers don't read the posts that contain their name every day. It really doesn't take that long.

If you don't have time for your customers.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Odd...I bought a used one and got emails back lol...took a few days though

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
I'm always amazed that at least two manufacturers don't read the posts that contain their name every day. It really doesn't take that long.

How does that work? Is there some sort of instant notifier that goes out if a trailer brand is mentioned somewhere?

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #16

Alabama
Quote:
Mark, Reads like you did the correct things. I'm always amazed that at least two manufacturers don't read the posts that contain their name every day. It really doesn't take that long.

If you don't have time for your customers.....
It is a small business and I think business is good so they are very busy keeping up with production of promised units.

I cut Chandler some slack because I know what it is like to try and get a small business off the ground while wearing all the hats. It isn't easy.

I am also a big fan of the product. Like the design and the thought that went into building it.

That said, I'm just seeking some help/advice/thoughts from the members on this forum related to my problem. I know I'll get quality (and quick) feedback here.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Reading and responding to this forum ( don't forget there are others related ) is a full-time job.
Isn't it Francesca?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
I, too, have had a difficult time communicating with Parkliner when I sent messages to sales@parkliner.com. But somebody left the tip here to write directly to Cameron at cameron@parkliner.com or Chandler at chandler@parkliner.com. It seems to work! I tried that and have received responses within 24-48 hours twice now in the past 2 weeks from Cameron. So maybe give that a try?
Good luck! I look forward to hearing how the tire rub issue gets resolved.
Kate
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #19

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
I, too, have had a difficult time communicating with Parkliner when I sent messages to sales@parkliner.com. But somebody left the tip here to write directly to Cameron at cameron@parkliner.com or Chandler at chandler@parkliner.com. It seems to work! I tried that and have received responses within 24-48 hours twice now in the past 2 weeks from Cameron. So maybe give that a try?
Good luck! I look forward to hearing how the tire rub issue gets resolved.
Kate
You rock! Trying it now....
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Since the rub is on the street side of each wheelwell could it be that the axle is welded off center a little?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner