ParkLiner wheel wells & tires - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
What make of Axle does Parkliner use?
EZ Lube spindles on mine. Not a unit axle.

Frank
__________________

__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
Frank I am so sorry to hear this, sadly you have been one of their best advocates. Foolish for them to purposely do such a stupid thing. I am certainly shaking my head here in Michigan and wondering what the hell have I done!!!!!!
Thanks Pat. As I've said before, we love this trailer. But I am not pleased with being hoodwinked. All I can tell you is to just keep your eyes open. Make sure to have them show you that everything works before you take the trailer, then camp close by for 2 or 3 days, & take it right back & demand action if anything is not just right. Also, the new trailers have had the molds modified so the wheel wells are much larger, so right off, you avoid my major concern. I can't believe they "fixed" my wheel wells by giving me smaller tires!

Best of luck to you!

Frank
__________________

__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
deryk's Avatar
 
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Posts: 2,086
Registry
Wow! Frank I'm sorry. That is seriously messed up. Now I was told that the earlier axles are rebuildable so we shouldn't get the same problem as the axle's they are using around Thom's model. Don't know.

How did it handle on your trip back with the smaller tires?

I would seriously consider the next step and report it to their state prosecuter for consumer complaints and possibly a lawyer. The cost's you spent with travel and all would probably have covered having the wheel well's enlarged by a fiberglass company locally.

I am really sorry.
__________________
deryk

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
...They took the 205's off & put 185's on! Pretty cool eh? I'll have the only ParkLiner with 185's....
Frank, When i was doing my research for our tire rub issues back in ~fall of last year i actually found, and suggested to Chandler, a light truck 185r 14 load range C tire with an 1879 lb rating. This tire was potentially much more _tire_ than the bias ply 205 rated at ~1600 lbs that came on the PL#35.
That said, the 185's alone in NO WAY took care of the tire rub. Our wheel wells were professionally enlarged by a local marine shop with design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner. The work was amazing and there is no rub whatsoever even in our ~200 miles of off road adventures so far this season.

Bottom line for us, the 185LT tire was actually recommended by our local Les Schwab crew as a tire they often mount on small single axle trailers under 3500lbs like ours. We totally enjoy the ride now compared to the bias ply tires. If i have a choice i will side with LT radials for light trailer use in the future. You should be happy with the difference in towing. BUT keep an eye on those wheel wells! Our 185's were making grooves before the boat yard did their magic.

Thom
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
How did it handle on your trip back with the smaller tires?

I would seriously consider the next step and report it to their state prosecuter for consumer complaints and possibly a lawyer. The cost's you spent with travel and all would probably have covered having the wheel well's enlarged by a fiberglass company locally.

I am really sorry.
Thanks Deryk. I am really sorry too!

I ever noticed any difference in towability on the way home. Same old great tracking trailer, no change that I noticed at all.

I sent an unhappy email to Tom Bass, & must admit to being surprised that he responded. He said Chandler had made this decision & he had forwarded my email to him. Think Chandler will respond, let alone care? These guys could have a gold mine, but apparently they don't give a ray's behind.

To top it all off, I pulled the cover on our spare this morning. Guess what it is? A 205 bias belted. Guess I need to change that out.

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
frank_a's Avatar
 
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Frank, When i was doing my research for our tire rub issues back in ~fall of last year i actually found, and suggested to Chandler, a light truck 185r 14 load range C tire with an 1879 lb rating. This tire was potentially much more _tire_ than the bias ply 205 rated at ~1600 lbs that came on the PL#35.
That said, the 185's alone in NO WAY took care of the tire rub. Our wheel wells were professionally enlarged by a local marine shop with design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner. The work was amazing and there is no rub whatsoever even in our ~200 miles of off road adventures so far this season.

Bottom line for us, the 185LT tire was actually recommended by our local Les Schwab crew as a tire they often mount on small single axle trailers under 3500lbs like ours. We totally enjoy the ride now compared to the bias ply tires. If i have a choice i will side with LT radials for light trailer use in the future. You should be happy with the difference in towing. BUT keep an eye on those wheel wells! Our 185's were making grooves before the boat yard did their magic.

Thom
Aha, so you're the culprit! . Really, that's good to know Thom, & makes me feel somewhat better. Those 185's are still less than 2 fingers from my wheel wells. It almost looks tighter!

Any chance your glass shop would still have the design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner? It would be good to have if I could get it. Bottom line is I'm on my own at this point.

Thanks!

Frank
__________________
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
This is a VERY sad situation. Parkliner is doing nearly irreputable damage to their reputation. It will be very difficult to recover. Based on all the reading I've done, it will not be a manufacturer I can feel comfortable recommending. And, that's too bad, truly. Parkliner would have been far BETTER off biting the bullet and fix all trailers they've built. Then advertise they stand by their customers and product. A work-around is not a proper fix.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Aha, so you're the culprit! ...Any chance your glass shop would still have the design/fabrication data from Tom at Parkliner?
I will ask the guys at the shop. The design info was in an email with images and dimensions of cuts and such. I'll see what i can do.
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...Parkliner is doing nearly irreputable damage to their reputation...
Like you i'm also saddened that PL is not doing a better job upholding their end of the deal on the early models that needed mods. I'm not sure why we were fortunate with our #35. That said, the Parkliner is certainly a rig to behold on the outside and inside. We had a Casita-Couple (17ft with front bath) a couple spaces down from us last week. They were making a trip from Florida to BC and back. They asked for a tour and just sat inside our PL for a while and commented on nice build quality and amazing interior space, and all the stuff i just (now) take for granted. I did mention the mods and they took a close look at the work, which one could not tell ever took place.

Cheers,
Thom
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Posts: 571
I'm a little confused. If I understand right, Parkliner was supposed to relocate the battery(s) and fix the tire rub problem.

You haven't mentioned the battery, so I assume they relocated it to the tongue.

When they told you they didn't have to enlarge the tire wells, did you ask them how they fixed the problem? Are you sure the smaller tires don't fix the problem?

I can understand your frustration, but I think this may be a communication problem more than anything else. I will be very surprised if Parkliner doesn't work out something that is acceptable to you.
__________________
Huck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
deryk's Avatar
 
Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Posts: 2,086
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
What make of Axle does Parkliner use?
Im pretty sure Frank has the same as axle as mine, a Dexter TorsionFlex Axle....Frank does yours look like this?


I still have zero tire rub and I travel a fair bit offroad since I boondock on friends land.

From what Aaron told me and this video from dexter, it seems like we can set it at 7 different settings so I'm sure it can go down one more giving the trailer a little lift in height to give more wheel well clearance...and down the road when the rubber pieces wear out they can be replaced.
__________________
deryk

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
Commercial Member
 
widgetwizard's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Im pretty sure Frank has the same as axle as mine, a Dexter TorsionFlex Axle....Frank does yours look like this?


I still have zero tire rub and I travel a fair bit offroad since I boondock on friends land.

From what Aaron told me and this video from dexter, it seems like we can set it at 7 different settings so I'm sure it can go down one more giving the trailer a little lift in height to give more wheel well clearance...and down the road when the rubber pieces wear out they can be replaced.
widgetwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Posts: 1,265
The Age of 3D CAD?

All along I was wondering what got into those guys' heads at ParkLiner that they did not create a 3D model of everything *before* making molds? This is the age of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and they should have checked things out first. When we used paper and pencil in mechanical design, interference or clearances had to be checked on (sometimes) many prototypes. But that is ancient history! Just shaking my head.
__________________
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #28
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
All along I was wondering what got into those guys' heads at ParkLiner that they did not create a 3D model of everything *before* making molds? This is the age of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and they should have checked things out first. When we used paper and pencil in mechanical design, interference or clearances had to be checked on (sometimes) many prototypes. But that is ancient history! Just shaking my head.
As far as I can tell none of the fiberglass manufacturers with the exception of Nest use any kind of cad. Most don't even do email well. It all seems to be seat of the pants beat to fit. Kinda like the model T. Raz
__________________

__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parkliner, tires


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P185-80 tires OR ST185-80 Tires ericmarlo Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 19 12-30-2014 02:14 PM
Replacing my tires & rims... do they have to be trailer tires? David Scott Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 20 10-16-2012 08:25 PM
leaky wheel wells. michael robert Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 10-14-2008 05:51 PM
trillium wheel wells bouterse Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 13 07-26-2006 09:49 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.