ParkLiner wheel wells & tires - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #57

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Carol, for owners with a different axle then the first dozen or so ParkLiners built, they don't have much of a choice but to widen the wheel wells or have a new axle welded on below the current one to lift the trailer up a few inches to create more wheel well room.
I fully understand that as well. My comments where in regards to Frank's situation where he took his trailer all the way to the factory with the understanding they were going to expand his wheel wells only to have them change to a smaller tire.....

I was and I am assuming he wanted the wheel well expanded as he does not have the same clearance you apparently have or that he does not feel comfortable with only 2" of clearance around the tire... the later I fully appreciate as I wouldn't either.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #58

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have a new all-molded trailer. If I had experienced the same thing as Frank, I swear... my hair would have been on fire and everyone, everywhere (social) would have heard about it. Come on Parkliner, do what's right. You NEED to fix this...

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #59

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't think anyone is really trashing Parkliner... other than their "weak" customer service. AND THAT'S SADLY LACKING.

In July, the Oregon Gathering happened on the southern Oregon Coast. About 100 all molded towables had reservations. Reace and Tammy (Escape Trailer Industries) came down from BC and brough a bathroom door, because someone from California had one in an Escape that WARPED (probably due to humidity). Reace changed it out... during a rally...

Now THAT is customer service!
And of those 100 plus trailers about 25% were Escape Trailers. I talked to many of the owners and NEVER heard one negative comment about Escape customer service. If I was in the market for a new trailer Esc.ape would be at the top of my list.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #60

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I used to work for Fuji Films doing tech support. I came in right when they started to care about the fact they had a rep for horrible customer support ... realized that if you don't take care of your customers needs they will go elsewhere(sometimes even buy a product that isn't as good but has customer support that is really there for you.

I completely agree what they did to Frank is horrible. If they raised the setting on the axle a bit and showed him that he could raise it more before telling him that they were going to enlarge it they could have done all his mods like mine had done in 1 day...been honest about it from the beginning then things would be different.... but I think Tom wanted to cut their losses and decided to not do it...I would have called a lawyer as well as report them to the state. And I also would be trash talking what they did on every forum I could find. That is not how you treat your customers.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #61

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
What was the responsibility of Parkliner regarding the wheel wells and tire rub? It seems to me it was to eliminate the problem, if it existed. Under warranty, how they fix the problem is likely their decision.

The issue seems to be that Parkliner examined the trailer and determined that enlarging the wheel wells wasn't needed and that replacing the tires with slightly smaller tires was an appropriate solution and that Frank doesn't agree with that solution. Since Parkliner has a fiberglass guy, I don't understand why they would not have had him resize the wheel wells if that was the appropriate fix.

So the questions I have are:
  1. Was there a wheel well problem on Frank's trailer exhibited by tire rub? I don't believe all the early trailers had the problem.
  2. If answer to above is yes, did the action taken by Parkliner resolve the problem?
If there was a demonstrable tire rub issue and the action taken by Parkliner didn't resolve the problem, it seems Parkliner is at fault. On the other hand, if there was no apparent tire rub issue or if Parkliner's action resolved the tire rub issue, it would seem Parkliner is not at fault.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #62

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
So if you took your car in for warranty because it overheated, and they pulled your v-8 out and put a v-6 in, you would consider that fixed? That trailer came with a spec'd tire size, and that's what should be on it.

Downsizing tires because a wheel well is too small isn't a fix, it's hack.

My scamp axle was 100% flattened out and the tires still didn't touch, and they never should on a proper design.

Could you imagine hitting a big pothole and stuffing a tire at highway speed and having it stop? All hell would break loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #63

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Gee Huck, should I take the stand?

Early in January I emailed Cameron about the wheel well issue after seeing the pics of their Facebook site of how they could get 3 or 4 fingers in. He wasn't sure they could do anything, so I sent him pics of my wheel wells (I cannot get more than one finger in), and after a week or so he got back to me saying he had talked to Chandler, and they would do it, but needed at least 2, and probably 3 days to do it. No problem. We made arrangements to get the trailer down there, and a week before we were to go, got an email from Mr. Bass, and was told they could not do it the time we had planned. Gee, that's great, time and $ down the tubes. So then I finally get down there, and essentially nothing much gets done. They couldn't even move the batteries and do it right. They broke the bath door handle while it was there. All of a sudden I had a waste pipe leak I had not had before.

I still haven't answered your question, and am not going to. Whatever you think is fine. I had this all arranged and had been told certain things would be done. For all the money (and time) I put out, I could have had the wheel wells expanded (and more) done right at home. Basically, I learned a very expensive lesson. Don't trust ParkLiner.

I still like our trailer, but if I had known then what I know now, we'd have an Escape.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #64

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Gee Huck, should I take the stand?

Frank
Frank, I think we can hold off on the witness stand for now!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #65
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In July, the Oregon Gathering happened on the southern Oregon Coast. About 100 all molded towables had reservations. Reace and Tammy (Escape Trailer Industries) came down from BC and brough a bathroom door, because someone from California had one in an Escape that WARPED (probably due to humidity). Reace changed it out... during a rally...

Now THAT is customer service!
Whether Escape builds a better trailer doesn't matter. People perceive they do and that generates a cult like following that results in ever increasing sales. People will wait a long time and travel a long way to buy a trailer from these folks. That in turn increases the resale value of a used trailer when the original owner wants to upgrade. One could spend thousands of dollars on advertising and not promote your product anywhere near what the owner repairing a door at a rally will do. A little good faith goes a long way. I don't get why this is so hard to understand but it must be. Raz
Old 08-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #66

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
This whole sorry affair comes down to communication, like most do. Poorly communicated expectations and poorly communicated resolutions. I think what can be learned is a buyer should clearly express (maybe in writing?) exactly what they expect to happen, get the company to agree, and make sure the company understands that they are to keep the buyer informed along the way of ANY deviations from this plan.

Perhaps we expect too much in this day and age. I bought a new (laptop) computer the other day. I needed one, as did my daughter for school (she has to have her own computer for the 6th grade!) so I decided to buy one similar to hers so she could teach Daddy how to use it. The one I wanted was not in stock so I had it sent to the store. I paid them to set it up with the virus software and generally get it ready to go. I picked it up the next week and took it home. At home I discovered they had set up a password and nobody bothered to tell me what it was. A calm but stern phone call and several minutes of them trying to figure out what the Tech had done got me going. So, lesson learned, don't leave the store unless I am sure I am not locked out of the dang machine.

A couple of weeks back I sent a note of encouragement to Parkliner via their website expressing my interest in their product and my intent to possibly be a customer in a year or two. I ended my communication with the hope that they would pay particular attention to product quality and customer service. So, I am watching and waiting. I can, or cannot buy whatever I want. If I decide I want a new trailer I will have one. Or not, I have a good Scamp and it meets my needs. I WANT a new trailer, and the Parkliner meets my WANTS. Wants can wait, they are not going to keep me from camping.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #67

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
What was the responsibility of Parkliner regarding the wheel wells and tire rub? It seems to me it was to eliminate the problem, if it existed. Under warranty, how they fix the problem is likely their decision.

The issue seems to be that Parkliner examined the trailer and determined that enlarging the wheel wells wasn't needed and that replacing the tires with slightly smaller tires was an appropriate solution and that Frank doesn't agree with that solution. Since Parkliner has a fiberglass guy, I don't understand why they would not have had him resize the wheel wells if that was the appropriate fix.

So the questions I have are:
  1. Was there a wheel well problem on Frank's trailer exhibited by tire rub? I don't believe all the early trailers had the problem.
  2. If answer to above is yes, did the action taken by Parkliner resolve the problem?
If there was a demonstrable tire rub issue and the action taken by Parkliner didn't resolve the problem, it seems Parkliner is at fault. On the other hand, if there was no apparent tire rub issue or if Parkliner's action resolved the tire rub issue, it would seem Parkliner is not at fault.
I think a better question in regards to determining if there is an issue with the tire clearance or not is to confirm that the axle manufacture Dexter says the min. tire clearance should be. Its my understanding that Dexter specifies a min. of 3" of clearance with their torflex axle. Thats on a fully loaded trailer. Which is why you would be hard pressed to find a current fiberglass trailer manufacture that does not build with at least that and in most cases twice that and more.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #68

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Frank, I just came across this thread today and so sorry to hear of the "non-fixes" PL did especially when you seemed so pleased on your way home from NC.

My experience with customer service is with Escape and I can second Donna's story of bathroom door fix. Our new to us Escape lost it's spare tire and mount on our very first trip. My wife sent a very nice email to Escape and I followed up with a picture of what was left after losing it. A PO had modified the mount which made it weaker, yet Escape still offered to go half towards new tire, mount, and cover. Now THAT is customer service.

Adrian
Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #69
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I think a better question in regards to determining if there is an issue with the tire clearance or not is to confirm that the axle manufacture Dexter says the min. tire clearance should be. Its my understanding that Dexter specifies a min. of 3" of clearance with their torflex axle. Thats on a fully loaded trailer. Which is why you would be hard pressed to find a current fiberglass trailer manufacture that does not build with at least that and in most cases twice that and more.
"Allow 3" bump clearance from full load". At about 2 1/2", Trillium missed that line. What is the Parkliner measurement? Raz
Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #70

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
"Allow 3" bump clearance from full load". At about 2 1/2", Trillium missed that line.

Perhaps that and a few other quality and well documented customer service issues is why that particular Trillium factory/company that built yours had a very short shelf life as well

Tags
parkliner, tires