parts for old BURRO - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
parts for old BURRO

On March 6, PRIEST found a Burro for sale on Craigslist. He posted a note about it on this forum which he titled "MI burro camper 78". The day before PRIEST made this post, I saw the ad on my local Craiglist. I went to look at it and arranged to purchase it. I am going tomorrow to pick it up. The biggest problem I saw during my initial trip was that the bottom of the door is delaminated. Other then that, it appears to be in pretty good shape, for its age.

My question is this. Once I start fooling around with it, I am sure I will need something. I realize the manufacturer is out of business and parts will not be easy to find. What parts, assuming I can find them, are easily interchangable with similar size (13ft) and vintage (1978) burros? What parts are interchangable with different manufacturers such as U-Haul? Are there any other places, besides this website to look for parts?

Thanks Fred
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Almost all of the appliances are fairly generic, but chassis parts differ from make to make with u-haul being the most unique (I think). List some specific needs and members will chime in with sources and ideas. Remember, you are dealing with a 35 y.o. rig who's builder has been long gone.

And as was said years ago somewhere in Utah: "This is the place"; to look for parts anyway.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Unless you plan to make it as near as possible to what it was when purchased, you should be able to substitute/fabricate what you need. Lots of people have made their own cushions, made their own cupboard doors, and made their own frames. Our '78 Burro had many things that you can still get, faucet, tires, refridgerator.

Uhauls are unique with proprietary parts and frankly, because of that, a bit of a pain. I speak from experience. When our hub blew on vacation, it was providence and helpful people that helped us find a Uhaul replacement. Otherwise, we were planning to delay the vacation a few days while we waited for an RV repair place to order Dexter parts and new rims to put on.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Uhauls are unique with proprietary parts and frankly, because of that, a bit of a pain. I speak from experience. When our hub blew on vacation, it was providence and helpful people that helped us find a Uhaul replacement. .......

CindyL
That hub is a standard Camaro / Firebird part and its available at nearly any auto parts store. You didn't know that at the time, but now we know.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tom, what year cars use that hub. I don't need one as I have two new hubs from Uhaul, but I want to put the info into my Uhaul folder.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Tom, what year cars use that hub. I don't need one as I have two new hubs from Uhaul, but I want to put the info into my Uhaul folder.

This 5 x 4.75" hub is available from auto parts stores as part # 513090. It is the same as the front bearing hub of a 1993 to 2002 Camaro / Firebird.

If you want to go to a 5 x 4.5" bolt circle, get the 1990 -2001 Lumina rear bearing hub, part # 295-13018.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Oh, well. We met some very nice people and an interesting Uhaul dealer. We now have a standing order to stop by John's Uhaul in Cheyenne, WY with our VT when next we are there.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I can't imagine you should have much trouble. I've been pretty happy with ebay, dyers rv, and rvdirect. I'm doing my best to NOT use most stock parts. Why not upgrade and make it unique? Stock is boring.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Why not upgrade and make it unique? Stock is boring.
my thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!! It's not like someone is ever going to say "Look Gladys a {year} trailer with original curtains, etc.!"

Absolutely capture Thomas' info about the Camero and Lumina parts. Those cars are now 10-12 years old and it won't be long before THOSE parts aren't available except through a reproduction company... how well I know that which means more $$$
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

New York
[QUOTE=Thomas G.;369792]This 5 x 4.75" hub is available from auto parts stores as part # 513090. It is the same as the front bearing hub of a 1993 to 2002 Camaro / Firebird.

I just did a price check online at Advance Auto Parts, their price is about double what I paid from Uhaul. OK if you're broke down on the road and need a quick replacement, but I carry a spare with me. Probably what I'll do when the weather gets better is install those new hubs since it'll be easier at my shop where I have torches and air wrenches, and carry an old one as the spare.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This 5 x 4.75" hub is available from auto parts stores as part # 513090. It is the same as the front bearing hub of a 1993 to 2002 Camaro / Firebird.
Quote:
I just did a price check online at Advance Auto Parts, their price is about double what I paid from Uhaul. OK if you're broke down on the road and need a quick replacement, but I carry a spare with me. Probably what I'll do when the weather gets better is install those new hubs since it'll be easier at my shop where I have torches and air wrenches, and carry an old one as the spare.
You are right, UHaul has a pretty good price, but the price also varies all over the place at auto stores and even eBay. The one that I bought from UHaul didn't have any brand markings on it and it may be Chinese like the most inexpensive ones. And that may well be adequate.
1 Wheel Hub Front Camaro Firebird 93 96 97 98 00 01 02 | eBay

The bigger point that I wanted to make was that just because UHaul doesn't use the typical open spindle and tapered trailer bearings, a UHaul owner isn't particularly vulnerable to being caught with no wheel bearing parts available. Wheels are a different story.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #12

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Tom, I take it this hub isn't correct for our trailers?

URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Haul-Trail...-/160847582749
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

New York
It's becoming much more of a problem to find quality US made parts. And even US companies are having parts made out of the country, so if we buy a part from a US company it may have been foreign made. This has become an increasingly frustrating issue. It's important that Uhaul owners know the availability of these hubs, as I'm sure not everyone is like me and carries a spare. I also carry misc. screws & bolts, fuses, light bulbs, door hinges, and even a complete door latch assembly. So far I haven't needed any of them As always Tom, the information is greatly appreciated, but how did you figure this out! My new "Uhaul sourced" hubs have a plastic plug on them, I assume for antilock brake wiring, so these are probably designed for cars anyway. Another Uhaul owner mentioned the plug also.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #14

New York
Sean: that's not the one, Part # for what I got is 23484001. That's Uhauls number, price from them on August 2011 was $56.85 each. I think over $25 order their shipping is free. you may want to check that part #, I remember looking up one number, emailed them to verify the fit, was told a different number from what I asked, and now don't remember what I was told, and if I ordered what I thought was correct, or what they told me. But I did measure the mounting bolt pattern on what I got and it looked right. Uhaul does carry parts for vehicles other than their own trucks & trailers, so that may be why my hubs have that wiring plug.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Sean: that's not the one, Part # for what I got is 23484001. That's Uhauls number, price from them on August 2011 was $56.85 each. I think over $25 order their shipping is free.
I agree. Also be aware that it is usually cheaper to order from the UHaul truck parts page than to buy from UHaul off eBay, especially when it comes to shipping.

http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/...aul/misc_parts
Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #16

New York
Note that Uhaul has a list of camper parts available, it's on their site under misc. parts. Edit; I just checked Uhauls site, that is the part number they list for the bearing/hub assembly.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm thinking about my 1980 Burro and which parts of it have been hard to replace...there's the door - those are not replacable with stock parts. I'm replacing my windows right now and have to go with custom manufacturing since these are not standard.

But for everything else I can remember that we replaced or upgraded, it hasn't been hard to find stuff. Oh, well, we made our own replacement cabinet doors because the originals were particle-board bricks - I saw no value in either keeping those or recreating in the spirit of the original! I also had a spare tire carrier fabricated to my specs.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro