Parts for "Orphan" trailers. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Parts for "Orphan" trailers.

I am interested to know if there are suppliers and after-market suppliers that provides making parts for dead brands (Uhaul, Burro, etc). I noticed many of the current brands (such as Scamp, Casita, and Trillium) are very similar to the dead brands (again, Uhaul, Burro, etc). Can some parts be exchangeable? Reason I asked is because we do not want to buy a dead brand used model that may not have parts available. I noticed the FG trailers are very simple compared to the stickbuilt that are more complicated to get parts from.

I do know that when a brand goes out of business, by law, they have to make parts for 7 years from cease of operation of manufacturing such vehicles beyond. Like Oldsmobile ended in 2004, the 7 years kicked in from 2005 to 2012. Next year, GM stop making parts for the Olds except for engine since they are under GM banner. More complicated are for brands the parent company went out of business like Rupp snowmobiles for example. They stopped in 1978 and Rupp stopped parts 7 years later and now CPC makes parts till the last Rupp is gone.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Commercial Member

New York
Wow, 21 views but no response? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I am sorta kinda maybe a teeny bit of the opinion that the "have to continue making parts for 7 years" thing may not be applicable in the case of the trailers. (not sure tho....)

However, when you have a relatively small company, producing only a few units per year and it goes bankrupt - how will someone coerce them into continuing to make parts 'n' pieces?

Also please note that in several cases, the demise of a trailer brand was precipitated by a fire that destroyed the factory.

Having said that, however, there are VERY few pieces/parts that would be unique to any one trailer brand as I know of no brand that would have had the resources to make their own hardware, etc.

They were different in terms of the fiberglass design, the shape, the layout, the method of construction, but the main bits such as axles, door locks, propane bottle holders, fridges, stoves, water pumps, etc, etc were "off the shelf" items from major manufacturers.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Having said that, however, there are VERY few pieces/parts that would be unique to any one trailer brand as I know of no brand that would have had the resources to make their own hardware, etc.

They were different in terms of the fiberglass design, the shape, the layout, the method of construction, but the main bits such as axles, door locks, propane bottle holders, fridges, stoves, water pumps, etc, etc were "off the shelf" items from major manufacturers.
Right. If the basic fiberglass structure is there, you can buy just about anything that would wear out, rust out or break.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
In the case of UHaul, there are some parts still available from the company but the specialty items such as cabinets, doors, etc., are not available. However, many folks have made other things fit or have made their own. Even the most proprietary items on the UHaul can be swapped out for more generic models (specifically the axle and hubs).
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Orphan trailer is a little more mainstream than dead brand trailer. As an owner of an orphan trailer, I've not seen any obligation to provide parts or service once the company ceases operation. The rules of the auto industry don't necessarily apply here.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
This forum provides "Dead brand" trailer owners with alternatives. As an owner of a "Dead brand," I have only to search for Bridgette's information on fixing her leaking windows to work on fixing our leaking windows. If I want to add insulation, I can search for Jen's information on how she added insulation to her Burro, another "Dead brand," and emulate that as the two brands are kissing cousins. If I want to put in new windows, someone on this forum (I apologize that that someone whose name I can't remember.), cut the window openings on his "Dead brand" Uhaul larger and put in Scamp windows.

If I owned a Cadet, not a "Dead brand," but one that is a camper made in Poland, a search will provide ways that people have replaced the very rare front window when it gets broken.

I don't think your 7 years pertains to FB campers, but this forum can help anyway.

Oh, and if you are looking at a Uhaul, be aware that wheels of a Uhaul in particular, are proprietary to Uhaul. You can buy new ones that fit from a Uhaul dealer or replace the axel and rims with ones that are not proprietary.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Stoves, heaters, refridgerators furnaces, air conditioners etc. that came with that 25 year old FG trailer, were not made by the trailer brand manufacturers but by other suppliers, most of which still make those products. The manufacturer made the fiberglass body and then looked around to see what they could find for axles, tail lights and interior hardware. Check the brand name of your particular appliance or item and you'll probably find a replacement item on line.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It doesn't matter what the brand of all molded trailer you are buying... there is more in common than different. All the appliances, windows, vents, etc. are manufactured by someone OTHER than the original manufactuer. When it comes to the "orphan" brands (as seen on the home page) other than the body and frame (and some interior cabintery... if fiberglass) and the frame.... everything else is manufactured by some other company. THAT's what makes molded trailers more alike... than different. ASK about what you need... and we can point you in the direction you need to go...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CNYEggerstrobe... Here's a link to Vintage trailer supply out of Vermont https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com . They have great hard to find window gaskets and some re-man. parts. Also some re-production parts the became extinct.
WELCOME to your newest addiction!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Commercial Member

New York
Much thanks everyone!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
I came across this site for our fiberglass trailers,
Fiberglass Travel Trailers RV
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #13

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i think it depends what your looking for. appliances are rarely propriatory. so you should be able to get stuff like that anywhere. i think unless its a part the manufacture made themselves its probably a standard item
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post The "NADA" guides call them "Orphan" brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Orphan trailer is a little more mainstream than dead brand trailer.
I agree. The Brands aren't "Dead". Only (for the most part) the companies that manufactured them are.
The one exception maybe "Burro"... It is a Ghost Brand that has a Zombie website...

I changed the title so this thread is more searchable.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I changed the title so this thread is more searchable.
Thank you, thank you, thank you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Unique parts that may be no longer available:
  • Boler... Original 7" Round "Wedding Cake" style tail light (Reproductions available aftermarket)
  • Boler... Frenched tail light mounts
  • Hunter/Compact... "Pop-top" lift mechanism
  • Hunter/Compact... "Pop-top" canvass
  • Fiber Stream... Tinted Plexiglas Convex Front Rock Guard
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Unique parts that may be no longer available:
UHaul Taillight lenses
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #18

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Orphan RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
Wow, 21 views but no response? Thanks!
Hi
Are you already feeling abandonned after 21 views ???

If you are looking for used and possibly orphan RV, you have to expect that some parts are hard and expensive to replace. It all depends on the level of patience, time and budget you have. Door lock parts, window, hinges and fridge problems are common headaches. If you don't feel like fixing most problems by yourself, maybe you should revise your budget and look for a fully renovated RV or a brand new one.

Getting into egg camping at low cost requires to invest a great deal of time more than money. The more you learn BEFORE you buy, the more your can do AFTER you buy, the more you will save.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
one option is, if you find a part you just can't get a new replacement for. is make it yourself. could even be a little business in it to help pay for your trailer. if you can make and sell a few of them.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
Commercial Member

New York
Fredrick, you can call them "Orphans" but to me, I still call that Dead brands. It is out in the media. Two days ago, in our local newspapers talking about the Auto show this week and it said, "Saabs, Mercurys, and Pontiacs are not at the show. They are dead brands now...blah blah.." So, they still use the word, "Dead" Sorry to burst your bubble. That is the way it is out there. Maybe in the egg shell RV community, they are called "Orphans" I will still call it Dead. Its my dictionary. That is all. You can say what you want and I say what I want. And that is the way I have to say it in the design community.