patching holes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
patching holes

Hello again,

I know that somewhere on this site is the information on what product to use to patch holes from screws, rivets, etc. However, I can't seem to find it.

Will someone please tell me what to use? The holes are in the exterior fiberglass walls.

Thanks!
Tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I use white Marine Tex epoxy for quick screw/rivet hole repairs. It's a fairly close match to the Scamp's gelcoat. Others use a like product from Home Depot but I can't recall the name of it. With Marine Tex be fairly neat applying it because it sets up really hard.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Thanks Eddie,

Is something I can use when I'm going to repaint the exterior shell?

Can duct tape be used until I can meticulously use the epoxy?

Tonnie
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I removed the over sink florescent light fixture and hung a towel rod instead I had the dilemma of extra holes. So I camouflaged them. I pop riveted a new base and plastic snap cap over the extra holes. Looks like the rest. As far as I know there are no cap counters out there. I had the same issue when I removed the curtain rods. So I did the same thing. Snap caps bases and rivets are available from Scamp. Rivets you can get from the local hardware since they are short and only going through the cap base and the outer shell.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
Thanks Eddie,

Is something I can use when I'm going to repaint the exterior shell?

Can duct tape be used until I can meticulously use the epoxy?

Tonnie
Tonnie, duct tape can be used for a temporary fix, but it will break down in the weather & UV light. I have had great success using an aluminum tape, that is also a type of duct tape. It does not break down in the weather, does not leave a difficult residue to remove when the tape is removed, and it can be painted.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
One product I have used for temp repairs is medical tape called 3m Blenderm tape which is a rubbery clear tape that is waterproof. I have used it in a rain to fix a cracked vent cover. I wiped down the cover the best I could and applied it, it forced out the water and stuck down firmly. It held up well until I got a replacement from Fantastic Fan. I have used this stuff for years now as hinge tape on model airplanes and the stuff has held up for years! You can get at most medical stores or some hobby shops sell it as Dubro hinge tape.
Attached Thumbnails
1525_1_P.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lue-53691.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote