Patching old vents and intake lines - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 78 toyota chinook travel trailer
Bc
Patching old vents and intake lines

Hello everyone! I am new to everything about owning a travel trailer. My husband and I just purchased a Ubuilt travel trailer (it is modified from a 78 Toyota Chinook). Yesterday we completely gutted the entire shell which turned out to the best decision. We removed all the old propane appliances (there was evidence of fire damage), the cabinets, sink, water storages, etc (water damage).

Now we need to seal all the screw holes, old access holes, and large vents. What is the best way to seal the old access holes (propane appliances and water) and the large vents (from radiator and fridge)? I need to put some sort of structural support between the hole before fiberglassing. Waterproofed plywood screwed in? Metal bracers screwed in?

Thank you!
metiscutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by metiscutie View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to everything about owning a travel trailer. My husband and I just purchased a Ubuilt travel trailer (it is modified from a 78 Toyota Chinook). Yesterday we completely gutted the entire shell which turned out to the best decision. We removed all the old propane appliances (there was evidence of fire damage), the cabinets, sink, water storages, etc (water damage).

Now we need to seal all the screw holes, old access holes, and large vents. What is the best way to seal the old access holes (propane appliances and water) and the large vents (from radiator and fridge)? I need to put some sort of structural support between the hole before fiberglassing. Waterproofed plywood screwed in? Metal bracers screwed in?

Thank you!
Go to this page and scroll down to post 129. It shows how I was patching round holes. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-74938-10.html

I have patched larger refrigerator holes but don't have photos of doing it. But there are plenty of those that others will link you to. But for the backer board I used a piece of shower board, that stuff is white coated fiberboard, looks like the white marker board. You can get it for an affordable price at places such as Lowes, Home Depot and lumberyards. Give it 4 or 5 coatings of paste wax for a mold release so that the resin does not stick to it. I made it wider than the hole and secured it with screws through the shell. It is easy to plug the small screw holes with epoxy putty afterwards.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 78 toyota chinook travel trailer
Bc
Thank you so much! Tomorrow I will investigate more
metiscutie is offline   Reply With Quote