Payment for Trailer Import - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Triple E
Colorado
Payment for Trailer Import

Hello All,

After a good bit of searching, I have found a great looking 14 ft Surfside in Canada. Unfortunately, I'm in Colorado and my work schedule won't allow me to pick it up in person. At this point, I have viewed almost 100 photos of the camper and spoken with the owner at some length regarding the purchase. We have settled on a price.

The issue here is that the current owner is not a PayPal user and doesn't appear interested in becoming one. Is there another payment method anyone can recommend for this sort of circumstance that offers some sort of recourse if the deal heads south? I know Western Union and Moneygram are frequently used in scams and am not looking there.

Also would like to add that I've built a bit of a report with the seller and believe that the sale is legit, so I'd prefer that those who would not participate in this sort of transaction keep that to themselves.

Thanks,

Ben
kellyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well Ben, you could hire a rv surveyor to look it over and if he gives it a clean bill of health, fed ex overnight a contract with a return envelope then send him the funds if you feel it is legitamate. Bit risky, but if you have a signed contract at least you have something in writing about it.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Where in Canada is it?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Colorado
East St Paul, MB
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
l am in Canada and have only bought trailers from the States but if it was the other way round I would be looking at either wiring the money - your bank to theirs, bank draft (not sure if you call if that, certified cheque from bank)- this will take some time to clear or also international postal money order. Ask them to check with their bank/post office on this end as to what would be best.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
Perhaps for a small fee he and you could get a Canadian dealer to broker the arrangement for you. There will need to be some sort of import paperwork to handle, I imagine, and a dealer might be better prepared to do that. When I bought my trailer from Escape, they handled the paperwork and it glided through.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
All I ever hear from the folks south of the border is "title" how do you get a Canadian trailer titled?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
In California I believe all you need is a good bill of sale with VIN, proper import papers, and depending on its age, perhaps some attestation that the vehicle meets current road standards. I'm not sure how that works with trailers. I know you can't bring an unsmoggable car into California very easily, if at all. I think I'd look into that aspect before buying from a private party.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #9

Colorado
I have read here that trailers 25 years and older come through without issue.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #10

British Columbia
Robert's post regarding broker reminded me that as Canadians we cannot sell trailers and transport etc over the border without a broker. Buyers need to come to Canada and fill out paperwork at border when bringing it home. We were going to transport a trailer we sold to some folks in Idaho down to them and couldn't, they had to come and pick up. I think you may find using a broker is not reasonable priced unless it is an expensive trailer.
Our buyers haven't had trouble getting a title with the BC trailer registration though.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Robert's post regarding broker reminded me that as Canadians we cannot sell trailers and transport etc over the border without a broker. Buyers need to come to Canada and fill out paperwork at border when bringing it home. We were going to transport a trailer we sold to some folks in Idaho down to them and couldn't, they had to come and pick up. I think you may find using a broker is not reasonable priced unless it is an expensive trailer.
Our buyers haven't had trouble getting a title with the BC trailer registration though.
How old was the trailer you attempted to bring through?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I live in North Dakota. I see they are near Winnipeg. I wonder if he could drive in down to Grand Forks. I could meet him there and get it for you. I could then take it home. I live about 2 hours SW of GF. I have plenty of room to park it until you can come get it. I go to Bismarck a lot. I could then meet you there. Some gas money is all I would need. Aren't Sufesides make in the US? You might not need to do anything special to get it especially since it is used and a private sale. I will send you a PM.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #13

British Columbia
One trailer was a 1977 Trillium and the other was a 99 Scamp. I think you'll find if you call the border it is not related to year of trailer/ where trailer is manufactured it is more that legally they do not want Canadians selling items with a title directly in the States. They often ask at the border if we are planning on leaving anything there
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 1974 Triple E "Whale", or "Land Yaht"
Canada
A trailer going out of Canada, is no problem, where you will be stopped, is at the US border, I would contact the US border service, they must have some form of website, and you should be able to find out "what is required" to import into the states.

As far as the transaction goes, paperwork, and a Canadian based law firm doing an "in trust" withhold on the funds until it crosses the border (you would call the law firm to release the funds to the seller.

There must be some form of agreement and the law firm only holds the money until "yes, it's good to go" from your end,

His end, is that the money is in Canada, with a local law firm.

I think BOTH sides need to have recourse if this is going to work.

most Canadian law firms only charge about 100 bucks for this simple service, it is somewhat like a house transaction, but do NOT have the firm draw up the agreement, that would be a 1000 touch at least.................

Greg
a31ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
All I ever hear from the folks south of the border is "title" how do you get a Canadian trailer titled?
David, the problem with asking a Canadian for paper work showing the trailer is "clear titled" will more often result in a blank stare or a what do you mean question in return? Its not a term used or heard here often and paper work showing clear title is not something that is normally issued here.

What we have instead is two things:
1) If the trailer is registered to the party selling it they will have registration papers from the province it is register to them in and that paper work will have a section on it where they sign it over to the purchaser. If they do not have the Registration papers for the trailer I would stay well clear of it as you will have a real tough time registering it anywhere (even in Canada).

2) Most provinces have what we call a Chattel Mortgage register or Manitoba and Ontario I believe the trailer would may fall under what they call a Personal Property register. So if the person has a loan and the trailer, car or boat or what ever that has been purchased and it has been used as the chattel against the loan it will be registered. If the the trailer has not been used as chattel for the loan then it will not appear in the register and would be considered as what those in the US would call Free Title. A search of the data base of Chattel Mortgages or Personal Property can be done using the trailers serial number and the cost in most provinces is normally under $25. A lot of people here dont seem to know they can do it themselves often on line & print off the search result for the purchaser. But I assure you anytime you trade in a car or boat or trailer at a dealer they will in fact do such a search. Here is the link to the online Manitoba Personal Property data base search. A search can be done using the serial number only for $12.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyben View Post
Hello All,

After a good bit of searching, I have found a great looking 14 ft Surfside in Canada. Unfortunately, I'm in Colorado and my work schedule won't allow me to pick it up in person. At this point, I have viewed almost 100 photos of the camper and spoken with the owner at some length regarding the purchase. We have settled on a price.
I know the main issue here is the payment method, but it occurs to me to ask:

Since you can't pick it up yourself, how are you getting possession of it? Is some third party delivering it, and if so is there any possibility that they could handle the financial end, too?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #17

Colorado
Francesca, I had put the trailer out for bids on Uship.com.

Unfortunately for me, the owner got cold feet about dealing with someone outside of Canada and put the kabosh on the sale this morning, despite having agreed on a price and a deposit. The search continues.

Just want to say thank you to everyone who offered their assistance with the purchase. The amount of support from people on the forum who were willing to help out with this transaction was unreal. This is a really impressive online community and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Ben
Old 02-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Oh, man...too bad!

Back to the drawing board...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote