Does anyone have a more elegant solution to my dilemma?
Here is a quick rundown on what I did. The before picture of the substitute fridges retrofitted venting. The intake/exhaust was actually attached to the hinged door so you could not open the door without dismantling first.
I closed off the fridge
from the rest of the cupboard and ultimately the inside of the trailer. I enlarged the opening a bit, cut some extra holes above the belly band, added some sheet metal to direct the flow outwards at the top and a baffle to enhance the airflow over the fins. You can see the original fan on the bottom left corner of the opening. In keeping with the concept of this thread, this is the closest I could reasonably get to "Almost Good Venting", I think my propane
guy wanted me to cut a vent in the floor as well. I was just not comfortable doing that.
Here is what it looks like finished. I used sheet aluminum as a filler, strip aluminum for the frame, a stock lower fridge
vent, and two louvered household vents for the upper vents. The fridge
intake and exhaust has a plastic cap that seals out the elements and bugs so, I did the same with the other vents for when the trailer is not being used. IMO it looks a lot better and is a lot more functional.
I still plan on adding one computer fan for each of the upper vents and making them manually switched leaving the original fan controlled by a thermo couple.
When I get the time I'll post more pictures with a full description in the Modification, Alterations and Neat Updates forum and a summary in the thread Restoring Our 1972 Boler American, Annotated pictures
which covers the chronological resurrection of my once trashed Boler