Performance of 3-way absorption fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Does anyone have a more elegant solution to my dilemma?
Here is a quick rundown on what I did. The before picture of the substitute fridges retrofitted venting. The intake/exhaust was actually attached to the hinged door so you could not open the door without dismantling first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside_ventside.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	13702

I closed off the fridge from the rest of the cupboard and ultimately the inside of the trailer. I enlarged the opening a bit, cut some extra holes above the belly band, added some sheet metal to direct the flow outwards at the top and a baffle to enhance the airflow over the fins. You can see the original fan on the bottom left corner of the opening. In keeping with the concept of this thread, this is the closest I could reasonably get to "Almost Good Venting", I think my propane guy wanted me to cut a vent in the floor as well. I was just not comfortable doing that.

Name:	cutout.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	13704

Here is what it looks like finished. I used sheet aluminum as a filler, strip aluminum for the frame, a stock lower fridge vent, and two louvered household vents for the upper vents. The fridge intake and exhaust has a plastic cap that seals out the elements and bugs so, I did the same with the other vents for when the trailer is not being used. IMO it looks a lot better and is a lot more functional.

Name:	Final.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	13705

I still plan on adding one computer fan for each of the upper vents and making them manually switched leaving the original fan controlled by a thermo couple.

When I get the time I'll post more pictures with a full description in the Modification, Alterations and Neat Updates forum and a summary in the thread Restoring Our 1972 Boler American, Annotated pictures which covers the chronological resurrection of my once trashed Boler American.

Roy

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #16

Ontario
Harry, you've provided some great information here, but I'm still not sure you answered Daniel's question. Daniel asked:

Quote:
Where exactly do you put the reflective lining? Do you cover the inside of the enclosure before inserting the fridge? Any additional places?
And you replied:

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTOMOTIVE-...emZ140239721907

This is the vendor I use, it arrives fast and creates a fireproof protective closet.
Does that mean, you line the entire cabinet the fridge goes in before the fridge is installed? That is all around including underneath except for where the fridge door and vents are? Sort of like your built in dishwasher is?

Roy

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #17

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTOMOTIVE-...emZ140239721907

This is the vendor I use, it arrives fast and creates a fireproof protective closet.
Thanks Harry, but as Roy pointed out, I'm still having a hard time figuring out where exactly I should put the lining in order to block out as much of the infrared as possible. I'd imagine most of the outside heat comes in towards the back of the fridge, and that's where the vents are located.

I wanted to take pictures today but my camera died on me. Temperature readings today were horrible. At the end of this third hot day in a row, the temp inside the fridge was above 20C ~ 68F. I did check the door seal, it's not perfectly tight down at the bottom, but I can sort of push it into place for now. I seriously doubt being able to find a replacement seal (tried once already) for this old RM24.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #18

-
As a side note, any other sources for the foil insulation material (or perhaps a reasonable replacement)? That vendor will only sell to the U.S. Is it something commonly available at an auto part supplier? The closest thing I saw at the home improvement store today was a foil-type material lined with bubble-wrap. Certainly nothing close to fireproof glass fiber.

Whew. Keeping food cold in a trailer sure is a lot of work.

On edit: How about this Reflectix stuff? Says it can be used from -60 degrees to 180 degrees F. Does that seem like a workable/safe range?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
How about this Reflectix stuff? Says it can be used from -60 degrees to 180 degrees F. Does that seem like a workable/safe range?
Reflectix is the foil-bubblewrap-foil stuff. The difference between Reflectix and the automotive material that Harry recommended is that Harry's solution does not have bubblewrap at all. Rather it has a fireproof fiberglass layer instead that can sustain temperatures up to 1200 degrees. Since he works in the refrigeration industry, I'd go with his suggestion. As far as I'm concerned. . . Whatever Harry says about refrigerators goes!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #20

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Angry

Its great stuff...I use the fiberglass auto stuff because I limit my risk to fire...Where a very tight space is concerned and fiber glass cloth is to complex the Reflectix is super " the foil cardboard stuff"...97% reflection of infrared in some studies. (find on ebay too) This material is used in the manufacture of cold boxes today, makes up the outer layer of the box...I do not like bubble wrap product because it burns rapidly, I get the willies thinking of it.

Harry
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #21

-
Quote:
Its great stuff...I use the fiberglass auto stuff because I limit my risk to fire...Where a very tight space is concerned and fiber glass cloth is to complex the Reflectix is super " the foil cardboard stuff"...97% reflection of infrared in some studies. (find on ebay too) This material is used in the manufacture of cold boxes today, makes up the outer layer of the box...I do not like bubble wrap product becuase it burns rapidly, I get the willies thinking of it.
So as far as I can tell, and as Lisa pointed out, the only Reflectix I can find here is basically a fire hazard-ish bubblewrap sandwich.

So.... assuming I can get my Canadian hands on the right stuff some day, is it a good conclusion to say that I should put the foil wherever I can till I turn blue, as long as I'm not blocking the vents or air flow? What are your thoughts on slipping a layer of it between the coil and the fridge compartment?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #22

Ya we are one happy global economy here...NOT...At least on your side of the border it flies well...This link should sell to the devil himself...Its even better stuff and its on sale too!!! If you've got problems still I will mail it to you with a ribbon on it myself...Bloody nuts Homeland Security. I am still waiting for a Canadian pop up screen room I ordered... It shipped in one day...Its 4 weeks now waiting at the border...grrr. I guess its a defined as a tent so its marked as a desert weapon here...Got to protect my Scots bum from the Canadians But run open boarders south? Check out their whole line of insulation products.<a href="http://www.jcwhitney.com/COOL-IT-ADHESIVE-BACKED-HEAT-BARRIER/GP_2002968_N_111+10201+600002669_10101.jcw" target="_blank">
</a>
http://www.jcwhitney.com/COOL-IT-ADHESIVE-...02669_10101.jcw

Harry
Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 AM   #23

Check these guys out

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MYLAR-FACED-FOAM-...cw?reviewflag=1

http://www.jcwhitney.com/COOL-IT-ADHESIVE-...02669_10101.jcw

So as far as I can tell, and as Lisa pointed out, the only Reflectix I can find here is basically a fire hazard-ish bubblewrap sandwich.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #24

Ontario
Quote:
As a side note, any other sources for the foil insulation material (or perhaps a reasonable replacement)?
I found some searching the web. It is used for insulating furnace ductwork.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #25

-
Quote:
I found some searching the web. It is used for insulating furnace ductwork.
Those are plastic-based semi-flammable, though, aren't they? I think they use Reflectix (or close relatives) on ductwork. Or did you find something else? I've been clicking like mad but can't seem to be able to find anything. Must be the hot weather.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
Those are plastic-based semi-flammable, though, aren't they? I think they use Reflectix (or close relatives) on ductwork. Or did you find something else? I've been clicking like mad but can't seem to be able to find anything. Must be the hot weather.
Google: fiberglass duct insulation = 63,700 hits
Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #27

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well I'd still like to know where one should ideally put the insulation. Has anyone come up with a definitive answer? Does one line the compartment before (re)-installing the fridge? Or?

Thanks,

Raya

Tags
fridge