Performance of 3-way absorption fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Its great stuff...I use the fiberglass auto stuff because I limit my risk to fire...Where a very tight space is concerned and fiber glass cloth is to complex the Reflectix is super " the foil cardboard stuff"...97% reflection of infrared in some studies. (find on ebay too) This material is used in the manufacture of cold boxes today, makes up the outer layer of the box...I do not like bubble wrap product becuase it burns rapidly, I get the willies thinking of it.
So as far as I can tell, and as Lisa pointed out, the only Reflectix I can find here is basically a fire hazard-ish bubblewrap sandwich.

So.... assuming I can get my Canadian hands on the right stuff some day, is it a good conclusion to say that I should put the foil wherever I can till I turn blue, as long as I'm not blocking the vents or air flow? What are your thoughts on slipping a layer of it between the coil and the fridge compartment?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Ya we are one happy global economy here...NOT...At least on your side of the border it flies well...This link should sell to the devil himself...Its even better stuff and its on sale too!!! If you've got problems still I will mail it to you with a ribbon on it myself...Bloody nuts Homeland Security. I am still waiting for a Canadian pop up screen room I ordered... It shipped in one day...Its 4 weeks now waiting at the border...grrr. I guess its a defined as a tent so its marked as a desert weapon here...Got to protect my Scots bum from the Canadians But run open boarders south? Check out their whole line of insulation products.<a href="http://www.jcwhitney.com/COOL-IT-ADHESIVE-BACKED-HEAT-BARRIER/GP_2002968_N_111+10201+600002669_10101.jcw" target="_blank">
</a>
http://www.jcwhitney.com/COOL-IT-ADHESIVE-...02669_10101.jcw

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #23

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Check these guys out

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MYLAR-FACED-FOAM-...cw?reviewflag=1

http://www.jcwhitney.com/COOL-IT-ADHESIVE-...02669_10101.jcw

So as far as I can tell, and as Lisa pointed out, the only Reflectix I can find here is basically a fire hazard-ish bubblewrap sandwich.
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
As a side note, any other sources for the foil insulation material (or perhaps a reasonable replacement)?
I found some searching the web. It is used for insulating furnace ductwork.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #25

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I found some searching the web. It is used for insulating furnace ductwork.
Those are plastic-based semi-flammable, though, aren't they? I think they use Reflectix (or close relatives) on ductwork. Or did you find something else? I've been clicking like mad but can't seem to be able to find anything. Must be the hot weather.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Those are plastic-based semi-flammable, though, aren't they? I think they use Reflectix (or close relatives) on ductwork. Or did you find something else? I've been clicking like mad but can't seem to be able to find anything. Must be the hot weather.
Google: fiberglass duct insulation = 63,700 hits
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #27

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well I'd still like to know where one should ideally put the insulation. Has anyone come up with a definitive answer? Does one line the compartment before (re)-installing the fridge? Or?

Thanks,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge