Permanently mounting a microwave in a trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
First of all, I have been reading the forums in this group for quite a while but this is my first posting, so please be gentle. I am sure there will be many thinking "a microwave? that's not camping!" but we have a cabinet in our new Escape (actually a whole 6 months old now) that we would like to put a microwave in (it is "microwave ready" and has an electric outlet right in the cupboard). We take a toaster oven with us right now but each time we travel I have to bundle it up with towels and pillows and whatever else I can find so that it won't bounce all around. We don't use it in the microwave cupboard as it would give off too much heat so it has to be used on the counter but a microwave could probably be used in the cupboard, but we don't know how to permanently fasten it in so that it won't bounce around. It should be able to be removed fairly easily so that we can clean around it. Has anyone done anything like this with a microwave or toaster oven? I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks.

Rosemary
RosemaryBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Welcome to the Forums, and congratulations on your successful first post!

Now for your question:

Yep! It's really easy. You measure the inside dimensions of your cabinet (no doubt Reace has thoughtfully provided a common size that matches a number of microwaves) and go to whatever appliance purveyor strikes your fancy. You pick that microwave that has the features you want (I got a Sharp Carousel) and plug it in, and then put it into the cabinet. I used a little rubber shelf liner under mine and it never moves more than an inch or so in the cabinet in my Scamp.

Happy shopping!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
we don't know how to permanently fasten it in so that it won't bounce around. It should be able to be removed fairly easily so that we can clean around it. Has anyone done anything like this with a microwave or toaster oven? I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks.

Rosemary
In my Fiber Stream, I modified the cabinet above the refrigerator. It was not originally designed for a microwave, and the space is about 2" larger than the one I put in there. That area was divided by a shelf into 2 spaces. I took the 2 little plastic feet off of the bottom front of my microwave (held on by screws) and found longer screws. Then after very careful measuring, I drilled holes into the shelf that aligned with the foot screw location on the microwave. Then I set the Microwave on top the shelf and put the feet in place, and screwed up thru the shelf and the feet into the bottom of the microwave. Now my Microwave is firmly attached to the cabinet, and when I need to remove it, I just remove the 2 screws under the front feet, and out it comes.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The trailer's "micro wave" slot is just that, a place for you to add your own choice of a microwave. I can't really see any need to anchor it down any more than maybe just the anti skit pad afore mentioned...!
Oh, and welcome to THE site
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
The trailer's "micro wave" slot is just that, a place for you to add your own choice of a microwave. I can't really see any need to anchor it down any more than maybe just the anti skit pad afore mentioned...!
Oh, and welcome to THE site
Hello RoseMarie Burrows.

We found a microwave that fits nicely in the space above the fridge.
We put a nonskid piece of plastic underneath that we found at IKEA and use a fridge retainerbar in front to keep the unit from sliding.
Works like a charm.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Rosemary,
The previous owner of "Nuestra Casita" used two strips of 1"X2" wood the width of the cabinet. Each strip has holes which correspond to the size and location of the "feet" on the bottom of the microwave. The wood strips are fastened to the fiberglass cabinet bottom and are located so that the microwave "feet" just drop into them when it is placed in the cabinet.
Easy in, easy out and has never moved with the motion of the trailer.
It's interesting how many solutions there can be for a problem. Now you have to choose from the "candy store" assortment!
Personalizing your TT is part of the fun.
Enjoy a new aspect of the "trip"
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Rosemary! Welcome to FiberglassRV.com (and congrats on your new Escape!)

I moved your question to the Problem solving forum because some of our best problem solvers hardly glance at General Chat. It should get (even) more responses here...

I'm thinking there might even be another Escape owner who can get very specific!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Rosemary

The non skid stuff is good but a good bump while going around a corner will send your lovely microwave to the floor!

If you cut a piece of 1 x 1 roughly 24", long enough to fit diagonally into the cabinet opening, it will then drop into place creating a block between the front of the microwave and the cabinet face essentially locking it in place while in travel. Hard to describe but very simple.

If you like, next time you are by and I will do this for you.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Velcro.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Hi Rosemary

The non skid stuff is good but a good bump while going around a corner will send your lovely microwave to the floor!

If you cut a piece of 1 x 1 roughly 24", long enough to fit diagonally into the cabinet opening, it will then drop into place creating a block between the front of the microwave and the cabinet face essentially locking it in place while in travel. Hard to describe but very simple.

If you like, next time you are by and I will do this for you.

Reace
Thanks Reace, I understand what you mean because you did that for us when we stopped by to get the bicycle rack hitch welded on. You were quite alarmed when you saw how much stuff we had in that cupboard and made one of those sticks for us. I still use it in front of the well bundled up toaster oven. We did damage another toaster oven even with that bar though (wasn't padding it with towels etc. at the time); we thought the toaster must have been getting bounced around up and down and sideways, that's why we thought a more permanent fastening might be better. So thanks for everyone's suggestions -- might look at a marine supply place as well.

Rosemary
RosemaryBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just something to think about:

When we got our used Casita, the carpeting in the microwave cabinet was melted on the bottom. The previous owner's microwave must not have had feet or something. We put ours on a cutting board and have had no problems in there.

Ruth
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Our used "99 SD" came with a microwave but I think they bought it and just threw it in the cabinet. it slid from side to side and front to back and it was just tall enough that when it was doing all this sliding it would knock the cord out of the recepticle and it was a bear trying to get the plug back in without taking the micro all the way out. I tried everything you folks are mentioning and it either still slid around or the door would hit the lip on the cabinet and wouldn't open or close and momma was getting hot. I was too sorry to fix it. What I ended up doing was taking out the carpet that was in there and putting a piece of 1/2" plywood down for a floor. I then screwed a piece of 2X2 about 14" long to the floor behind the oven so the door of the oven was about 1/2" away from the face of the cabinet , then I screwed 2 pieces of the same 2X2 about 10" long on each side of the oven so it wouldn't slideside to side and viola, momma's happy and that just tickles me
Old 04-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...When we got our used Casita, the carpeting in the microwave cabinet was melted on the bottom. The previous owner's microwave must not have had feet or something...
Even if it had feet, the microwave would not have been intended to be used on carpert, and the feet would likely sink in, allowing the carpet to block air intake vents on the bottom. I melted down a power transistor in a stereo amplifier many years ago by operating it while it was sitting on carpet, a lesson which I still remember.

Even if vents were not obstructed, I'm sure the microwave designer did not intend for any material to be pressed against the bottom of the cabinet.

Whether it's carpet or retaining rails, I would be careful to ensure that whatever is under or around the microwave is not blocking any cooling vents, on the bottom, sides, back, or top.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave