Pet peeve/ regarding problem solving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Pet peeve/ regarding problem solving

I wish when people posted whatever their issue is and then get numerous responses, they would then take the time to come back and repost the fix

This site has many great members who you can always count on for resolution of issues

There I will get off my soapbox and back to our regular programming
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
True that many people drop out and leave us interested parties without a sense of resolution.

I think the best option is to send a PM to the person since that usually generates a email notice to them.. something like, "Hey we are wondering how you made out with.... it would be great if you updated THIS thread." (With a hyperlink to the thread in question to make it easy for the person to enter an update.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
True that many people drop out and leave us interested parties without a sense of resolution.

I think the best option is to send a PM to the person since that usually generates a email notice to them.. something like, "Hey we are wondering how you made out with.... it would be great if you updated THIS thread." (With a hyperlink to the thread in question to make it easy for the person to enter an update.

I really wasn’t referring to any specific thread... more just a rant as my wife says lol
It just seems to make sense to me to close the loop on a topic
Old 10-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

I wasn’t referring to any specific topics more of a rant as my wife says
It just seems to make sense to me to close the loop on a topic
Old 10-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Good issue Alan, good response Gordon.

Walt
Old 10-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #6

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
The worst is when they return only to declare victory and not provide information.
"Got it fixed, thanks everyone!"
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I would agree that Gordon’s suggestion is the correct action. I would tend to think that when some people resolve an issue that has them stumped/frustrated/upset, they are overjoyed when they are able to address it, especially if it doesn’t cost them an arm and a leg. They a likely very grateful to those who helped but it just may not occur to them to go into detail as to the solution (or that anyone might be interested). Unfortunately, FGRV isn’t like sitting around a campfire where misunderstandings or poorly asked questions can be addressed immediately. I can understand why this could be a “pet peeve,” and it’s good that the OP brought it up as the “guilty” who read this thread may realize that many others members would appreciate learning the outcome.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I feel the same way about thread titles. Many people don't join forums, or don't have time to sit around clicking topics out of boredom. They enter a search into google.

Thread titles like "I have a question", "please help" etc, tell you absolutely nothing about the subject of the thread. It's completely unhelpful. We don't want this kind of forum here, but some forums require that you state your actual problem in the thread title. There are probably some really important topics that get lost to most people because of bad titles, or people who have a solution to your problem who don't know they can help, because they don't spend enough time here to click all the "help" or "a question" thread titles to see what's in them.

I always try to post the solutions to my problems. And put my actual problem in the thread title.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Registry
I think it may be easiest to simply post a message on the thread asking the poster if and how they resolved the issue.
Pete Drewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #10

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I agree and sympathize with the OP's rant. Manners are the lubricant of civilization, and those who solicit advice, and then do not return with what advice worked for them, and a thank you, are simply bad mannered. They do not feel indebted to those they solicited advice from, and for the advice received.

The bad mannered will always be with us.

One of my pet peeves it those who use shorthand, assuming everyone else knows what they mean. I'm old enough that TV has been burned into my mind as television, so when I see it in a post I stumble over it. Some posts are so laden with shortcuts it's irritating.

Personally, and I mean no offense, I don't see it as clever, or an economy of writing, I see it as laziness and a disrespect to the readers.

There are some shortcuts that are so universal that it makes the most sense to use them.

YMMV,

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #11

Redding, California
Registry
Case in point:

Ten days, 57 great replies, and yet no response from the OP.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...day-90709.html
Old 11-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #12

If you are referring to my original post, I did respond in post #4
That I was making a generalization and not to a specific issue...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
If you are referring to my original post, I did respond in post #4
That I was making a generalization and not to a specific issue...
I was referring to the thread of the link I posted, where the OP there has not responded in 10 days (not this thread, which is only 7-days old, and there were only 10 replies prior to my post):

LINK: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...day-90709.html

Sorry if it wasn't clearly apparent to which thread I was referring.

Harold
Old 11-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
JAB

Name: John & Joanne
Trailer: UHaul CT13
New Hampshire
Hi Alan,
I agree with you. I've tried to always respond to each helpful answer and then finish off with a resolution. This helps others and avoids duplicate posts.
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Finding a solution to that particular "pet peeve" amounts to trying to herd a 1,000 feral cats. There is no solution to it. They come in, ask their question, get their answer (or not) and go away. Some come for a social media experience and community with fellow owners but the truth is the majority of people who sign on just want a quick fix for their problem and that is all they were ever looking for.

Taking the time to write responses and explanations and not even getting so much as a thank you in return can leave an empty and why do I even bother feeling. Of course we want to know how things turn out for them. That is natural when you care enough to share. But they don't even realize that is what they leave behind.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
... but the truth is the majority of people who sign on just want a quick fix for their problem and that is all they were ever looking for. ...
I don't know if its a majority, esp. on this site where participation seems to be above average.

But you hit on something that I see time and time again. I don't know if it is the Millennial Generation, the effect of an easy life, the “dumbing down of America” or something else, but it does seem that most people now only want the easy answer, and they are not willing to “do their homework.” They want both the problem and the solution to be simple, and describable in no more than two or three sentences. For them, good enough is good enough, and any thought of something better than “just getting by” is not worth their effort. They rebel to any effort to excel. Rather than hire mechanics, they just want a quick fix. There seems to be a dearth of desire to know more than the minimum required.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I suspect that most of the members here are well past Millennial.
It appears you have a theory, but lack evidence.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I suspect that most of the members here are well past Millennial.
It appears you have a theory but lack evidence.
More of an observation than a theory, and part of the observation is that that it likely does not apply to the members of this site, hence my comment...

Quote:
I don't know if its a majority, esp. on this site...
BTW, where is the evidence to support your suspicion that most of the members here are well past Millennial? It could also be assumed that members here are in fact younger and largely Millennial because these campers are often "retro" and popular with Millennials. It is an interesting question but as far as I know the age of members on this site is not tracked.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
BTW, where is the evidence to support your suspicion that most of the members here are well past Millennial?

Because they are posting here.
Millennials are saving for a down payment on a house and paying for daycare.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:47 AM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I am always left wondering why people throughout history have to slam the younger generations. They are barely any different than previous generations other than the fads they follow. Other than each new generation that has better food, health care and education has a slightly longer life expectancy.

Vintage has always had a strong appeal. There are people in every generation who love vintage and also plenty of people who want nothing to do with styles that are not current.

My Vintage Campster seems to be popular with all ages both young and old judging by the reactions to it. It is on par with the responses of the appeal that a baby animal has when you see one.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin