Piddly things I need to have done...worried about cost - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I paid $59 to have bearings repacked and brakes adjusted.

baglo

Old 04-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #16

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Thanks for sharing that Glenn. This is why I ask/share about prices. Until I learn the ropes, I'm an easy mark for extravagant costs. At least I know this!

S.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Here's a thought Sharon. I have the same retractable power cord stowed in the same more or less useless space that Carol H. describes. I don't know if your recent Scamp would have the same config as Carol's but if so, and your cord can be extended and stowed without undue hassle, you can save by living with it as is. To paraphrase:

Got along without ya before I knew about ya.
Gonna get along without ya now.

jack
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #18

Texas
I may live with it jack. I "probably" won't be plugging it in all that often anyway, and I will go ahead, I think, and just figure a way to sort of wall it off/contain it over to one side. (My arrangement is not like Carol's with cord and fresh water tank sharing a bench). The cord eats up roughly half (not quite half) of that under bench space, which I can deal with. There's also some kind of silver box utility in that compartment related to electric stuff. The cord lays around box it in some places and lays over it also. Anyway, that's the driver side bench.

The passenger side has the fresh water tank and not much else (sure do wish the cord was in there instead). Very little else fits in there -- maybe a few small tools and such could be stored there.

Speaking of fresh water tank... There's a little cap on top that looks like it should twist off. Except it can't budge because it appears from the glop around the opening, it's been glued shut. Why would anyone want that glued in place? Any thoughts anyone?

S.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Sharon - re taping into wiring. Look for a 12 volt light near where you want the 12 volt socket and just look inside the cabinet its attached to in order to see the 12 volt line coming out of the back of the light and follow the wires to see if it goes near where you want your 12 volt socket - thats what you can tap into.

I am withl Glenn the price you quoted for having bearings repacked and brakes inspected is pretty steep! Going to assume that actually includes replacing the bearings and not just seals with SKF products and they do a lot more stuff than stated.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #20

Texas
Carol, yep yep. I'm looking at spots now. I was also checking where Norm installed his 12v receptacles. He's done amazing stuff (he and Ginny seem like wonderful and smart people) in his Scamp to make it all work better for the two of them.

S.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If you're talking about a piece on the top of the tank with a little bar on top of it, that is from the manufacturing process. After they're done, they spin that with a router, and it melts itself into the tank, it's not supposed to come loose. Some people have cut holes in their tanks and installed deck hatches so they can clean them.

As for wiring cost, it depends on where it has to be ran. I put the new cord setup in mine in an hour and a half or so.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Be careful about tapping into existing light circuits for a 12 VDC outlet. The wiring for lights is often sized for the much smaller load and may not do well if you need the full 10 amps that 12 VDC outlets are rated at. If it's just for the Television or a computer you should be OK, but much more than that and you might start blowing light fuses and/or dropping voltage due to smaller wires.

Tip: If the lights all dim when you use the 12VDC outlet you may be overloading the wiring.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I thought of changing my power cord to a plug-type, but concluded that since I'd have to store it anyway, there'd be no gain in moving it.

Do take heed of Bob's advice above re. 12v power- I don't know about your Scamp, but the wire in my Trillium is sized to accommodate the lights only. My single 12v outlet is on light wire connected directly to the converter. The 12v side of the fridge is also on a (fused) line of its own, and a very heavy one at that. I recommend professional advice (or at least a knowledgeable amateur- friend?) for the new 12v outlets, as it may require new fusing and who knows what else. This not to mention that not all 12v off-the-rack outlets are created equal...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #24

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Hi Sharon, I feel we both are in similar positions, age, learning, not knowing etc., something's I am unable to do and have no problem learning from other's. just had the '89 Scamp in shop costs more than I wanted. When I backed in and hooked up(only second time) I did everything correct and of course last thing was to check all the lights. They had just installed new plug the other one was frayed, taped etc. Anyway the lights did not come on TV. The service guy said I did not have it in right. Wrong, did and a new guy had not wired right..still in shop. Finding each step is a learning step, I have no problem asking for help and taking note. I happen to be a visual learner so seeing it done helps me remember next time. Give yourself credit for what you are doing. There are no wrongs just learning.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #25

Texas
I hear you Anita and Francesca. That's why I think some advice, while it might be fine on some issues, is not really good on other issues when advising a total rookie. I don't know propane, electric, or solar. For me to just jump in with fingers crossed and "do stuff" might not be a good idea. Cabinet work, plumbing stuff, things like that I'm okay with.

When I mentioned repacking bearings and the price at a nearby RV service place, I was holding my breath that no one would suggest I try and figure out how to do it myself. I've seen where LOTS of folks deal with bearings in their driveways and garages and probably do a heck of a fine job. But that as a DIY is not in the cards for me.

S.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Anita and Sharon have the right idea, some things you shouldn't try to do unless a qualified and experienced person is with you to show you how. It's not that some stuff is beyond people's ability, they just need proper hands on instruction how to do it. Some posts describing how to do things actually scare me because I know the information is wrong, or I can tell the person asking how, really shouldn't be attempting that task. Rather than get into an argument or debate, I've learned to not look at some threads.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I don't know your area at all, but maybe craigslist and find a handyman with references? neighbors/friends/relatives, or their kids? (almost) any RV/auto place is going to charge you an arm and a leg to do it.

The Rv place here is $110/hr. If I paid that, I would probably have 20-30k in labor on mine so far. I'm not faulting them for that, they have a right to make money, I'm just saying it gets prohibitive.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #28

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
deryk, it won't cost "nothing" since I have no tools. I'd have to do the google search you suggest and try to assimilate the info, at the same time figuring out what tools to buy for these tasks. I am not "handy" at the tender age of over-60, so even with tutorials in my face I might not feel too confident doing this stuff. We'll see.

Sharon
If everybody could do anything by just reading the internet I would be a brain surgeon. In my book it takes an intelligent person to recognize the limits of their capabilities