Pilot light blowing out: Solutions? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Trailer: 74 Honey Boler
Pilot light blowing out: Solutions?

I have a gravity furnace in my 1974 Boler, which I have lovingly restored. Well, I don't know about lovingly, more like love/hate I guess. It has a new Roertshaw snap action valve, new orifice, new themocouple etc. Now don't get me wrong, it works fantastic when there is absolutely no wind outside. As soon as there is a medium/light breeze, the pilot light and burner get blown out. I hesitate to block or shield the intake as the intake and exhaust are in the same vent and it just doesn't seem like a smart idea. However, I can't be the only one this has happened to! Does anyone have some tried and tested solutions?

J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Name: Jason
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
I was having a similar problem with mine last year and took it to a local rv service guy and he mentioned that you can get a oil residue in the line which can lead to the pilot light going out. He said it needs to be blown out with compressed air sometimes. Also double check your regulator pressure as well. I am sure that others will chime in with advise as well.

fidgetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
The furnace may need to be taken apart and cleaned inside all the piping - any amount of rust, a spider or even a small spider web can impact it as can your regulator pressure.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I had the same problem that Carol had. A small web of some sort inside.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Trailer: 74 Honey Boler
I agree that all those things impact a furnace, but it really works perfectly. It's only that the wind finds its way into the fire box and blows it out. If I open the little access hole where you light it, you can feel it blowing through. In fact, I couldn't even get a lit match in there to light the pilot before the wind blew it out!
J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Name: Mike & Sara
Trailer: 86 17' Bigfoot
If you have wind blowing in as you say, then your 38 year old furnace chimney is rusted out. Had the same problem with my vt16.
Removed and rebuilt, took care of problem.
Major CO problem.
If you know your chimney is ok, then as Carol said take out burner, pilot tube and clean, clean, clean!

mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote