Pitting in front of Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
I had a minor skirmish with the tread of a tire in the middle of the road when returning from Oregon last week. I took a chance and straddled it with the van, but when I got home and was washing it I noticed that it must have flopped up against the front quarter of the Scamp causing small pitting that was not there before. What can I use to repair these unsightly marks? I got all the black stuff off, but it's like there's small little "chips" in the finish.
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I had a minor skirmish with the tread of a tire in the middle of the road when returning from Oregon last week. I took a chance and straddled it with the van, but when I got home and was washing it I noticed that it must have flopped up against the front quarter of the Scamp causing small pitting that was not there before. What can I use to repair these unsightly marks? I got all the black stuff off, but it's like there's small little "chips" in the finish.

Sorry to hear about your encounter with a tire tred. At least it wasn't your tire.

I have quite a bit of that kind of thing on my Scamp. So at this point it is graced with an ample amount of "beauty marks". They designate the coach as "experienced", in my mind. There is a limit though where a better description would be decrepit.

However, I am going to try to do a repaint job this summer, both to the Scamp and the Blazer. The major problem is a permanent blackening of sorts on the right side due to the diesel soot from the Blazer. It just sorta washes off because of the old original chalky gel coat. A nice shiny coat of new enamel would not get the soot embedded in its pores.

I don't have much chipping on the front due to gravel being thrown up from the rear tires because I have always used mud flaps that extend almost to the ground. But there is some from a previous owner that wasn't as diligent in this area. I will sand the area than fill with Bondo, then prime and paint.

In your case you might be advised to check with a marine store. They may have a gel coat repair kit that is the same color, or that can be colored.

Good luck. And happy camping.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp