Pivot Rivet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #1

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Pivot Rivet

Don't know what to call them. They are like a rivet but are solid with a flared end and allow movement in items like windows and the stone guard.
Mine are rusty, old and need replacing. How do i remove them (or clean them) other than drilling, where can I get them, and what are they called.
Another silly example of steel (rusty) against aluminum! Yuck

I did find Chicago Screws at Home Depot that might work. They are aluminum, 1/2". Also called Sex Bolts!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I have used these in Leatherwork. Used to buy them from Tandy Leather. Here in Edmonton, I can get them at:

Tandy Leather Factory - Chicago Screws

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Canadian Source?

Ok I didn't get much response here so maybe there are others searching for answers too.

Where the heck in Canada, Ontario, Toronto or 'northly' can I get ( a few) rivets?

I have determined that I need 'tubular rivets' for the window levers which allow movement. Aluminum would be better than steel as seen from the rusty old ones I suppose.

I found some good posts like this one,,,,

These are the rivets I ordered:
DF-11-9.5-ST 302 Stainless Steel Rivet from HansonRivet.com
HT-178 Rivet Clincher from HansonRivet.com

at

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Hehr Westfalia Jalousie Restoration ?'s

Lots of reading here that might help us.

Problem is that I should not have to order from the States, ie California (HansonRivet.com)!

I contacted R&R rivets in Toronto, they only manufacture. They sent me to Wurthcanada.com. They sell 100/bag lots of rivets but not a lot of variety.

I also need closed rivets I think that seal at the bottom to prevent leakage. Am I over kill here?

Where is a source for neoprene or teflon washers?

Also learned that the shanks or mandrels can be aluminum or steel. Steel sounds silly unless I caulk each top of each rivet! Over worry?

So, maybe I need to find a Home Hardware or Depot or Rona or...... that has a section with a ton of those little self serve boxes of small parts. Saw one once in downtown Toronto and another in North Bay, but can not remember exactly where. Anyone know of one I can call?

This is like a scavenger hunt!!

I am doing the same thing trying to find window parts (esp. rubber gaskets and seals) at ONE place for series 4900 Hehr jalousie windows.

And cleaning those alum. frames is one messy job! Am using an aluminum mag wheel cleaner from Napa and it does 'No Magic.' Emery paper and steel wool works but what a job! Slow and steady.<_<

Oh well, the belly band job came out ok at last. Painted the band with Rec. White Tremclad which looks fine with the original Sage green. Now to find a green 2" reflective tape! Scavenger Hunt again.

Til Later then

The Little Green Grape will emerge!
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dave, no one said a resto was easy and someone has to start somewhere to provide info to the future owners! You've started that info... and while I don't own a Trillium, I can appreciate the work you've done and the info you've provided to others
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote