Placement of CO detector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Placement of CO detector

Just bought a battery operated CO detector on sale for my 13' Boler. Is there a preferred location to mount these? I read that CO is slightly lighter than air so it may tend to rise. Also read to mount it close to sleeping areas. That shouldn't be a problem in a 13' Boler given the space is only about 69 square feet. Also read to not mount it within 15 feet of an LP heating or cooking appliance. Now that presents a problem - the CO detector would be outside the trailer! Any suggestions? Thanks.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just follow the directions supplied with the detector and you will be ok.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My co detector is mounted about 1/2 way up the wall and about 5 feet from the stove per it's instructions. But it is designed for RV, not household use

But, it occasionally trips off if I am cooking and don't have enough ventilation. It's sorta a reminder to add ventilation if I forget.

For those that try to use the generally unsafe practice of cooking flower pots for heat, it will go off.....

As far as your furnace, externally vented furnaces should not trip it off unless there is a CO leak and you will want to know about that. I can't comment on older panel type heaters.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a rear overhead cabinet over the dinette/bed. We mount our CO detector to the bottom of the cabinet over our heads. It has never gone off.

We previously had one in our motorhome bedroom. The 'outside' generator set it off once, it was loud enough to wake the dead.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
CO has about the same density as air and tends to mix with the room air instead of rising or falling . I have wired homes where the local code required CO detectors at waist level in bedrooms or about the same level as your head while lying in bed or a combination CO /Smoke alarm that is wall mounted at the height specified by the MFG . Many municipalities and States require the CO detector to be hard wired and have battery backup and be placed on a circuit with the main lighting so you would be warned if power was off to the detectors (Not on a separate or Isolated circuit) The problem with mounting it too close to a propane appliances is nuisance tripping which leads people to remove the detector and now it is not operational when you really need it . People often die in fires because they stole the 9 volt battery out of their smoke/CO detector to power some toy or radio
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Ours was low near the floor between the kitchen and bathroom. Also one in the back bedroom area
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Mine is mounted under the bed.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #8

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
One of mine is placed by bathroom door above propane heater. I don't say it's in the best location, but I have one. 9 volt Battery one.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Since I've seen both combination Propane/CO detectors that mount at floor level & combination smoke/CO detectors that mount on or near the ceiling, I suspect the location doesn't matter. I have a floor mounted propane/CO detector & a wall mounted CO detector with a digital readout about 1' from the ceiling in my trailer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I suspect the location doesn't matter.
I would think the same Jon, as long as it out in the open. The average 13'er has a capacity of about 360 cubic feet minus the furniture. A 16'er about 470 cubic feet. If you have something lit that is producing heat you are going to have air movement. It won't take long for things to spread out and be read by a detector.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many seem to have a fondness for baked beans when camping.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just a note concerning the baked beans: It doesn't pay to be a midget at a chilly cooking contest.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp put the CO detector at floor level in the 2014 13 footer.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote