Plastic buttons breaking and roof lining coming loose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I just picked up a 1993 16’ Scamp last Friday night, and had a mini road trip for the next two days taking it home from LA to SF Bay area via Highway 1 along the coast. It’s in excellent shape with only a nick or a scratch here and there. It is the deluxe model and has wood cabinets, screen door and the bath shower combo. Of course being 14 years old it’s not perfect, and I knew that going in. The owner was very straight forward about the things needing repairs.

The plastic buttons that cover the pop rivets on the outside have aged and several are broken. The previous owner bought a bag of new ones but found that he’d have to drill out the pop rivets and put in a new ones, to get the bottom half of the plastic button in place to snap on the top. That seems like a lot of work and trama to the rig for something that seems basically cosmetic. Any thoughts on this?

The “rat fur” is loose in some spots along the roof, and I saw some discussion about this earlier this week on Scamp Yahoo groups. I’m wondering if it would be easier, and in many ways more efficient, to take the Scamp to an upholstery shop to see if they have any kind of wand they can slip in the seam to spray glue in there. If I do it with the 3M glue, which works great, I need to really open up the seam and might make a bigger project. Not afraid to do the job, just wonder if others have tried it and which is the better way to go?

The rest of the rig is great. The water heater and pumps all work well. We did have one issue which I think is just not doing things right. We got some fluid up out of the shower on the floor when driving and wow did that smell bad. It smelled like urine but it came up out of the shower drain, not the toilet. Later on we took some showers and filled up the gray water tank using the pump from the shower, and we didn’t have a problem again. Later my son found a plug which we both thought was supposed to go into the shower drain. The guy had all the paper work and brochures on everything in the rig, and even in the Scamp owners manual it didn’t list the process to run the shower pump and how to secure things when driving. So any check list like that would be helpful.
Rye Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I think I'd silicone the caps in place. I did that once and no problem.
I had a 2003 16' Scamp and never had the problem with the shower drain but I think I usually empty before I travel. My Casita has a shut-off rod outside that I must remember to close before travelling but didn't have one in the Scamp but yours is older so not sure there.
I also wonder if there is a glue that has a wand like WD40 so you could shoot some into a hole.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote