Play Pac - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #21

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
[QUOTE=Camilla;296770]Congratulations! You can save the wall covering by cleaning it well and glueing it back in place.

No way this is cleaning and going back in!! It is moldy and torn and just plain nasty!! I have issues the smells! I have begun to rip it out, lesson learned....wear long sleeves, gloves, mask!
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #22

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Paul, please no apologies for providing a wealth of knowledge. Plus, you had my hubby, Ernie, and I in stitches.
So floor is hubbys department not certain of the plan other than I know he will "git r done"! and that is all that matters to me.
I have been removing the rotting wall covering.....not a fun job! but learning alot about the shell as I go.
I suppose we are lucky as the roof has no sagging and the body as a whole is in great condition.
At first check all lights are working. But we will probably rewire anyways, but uncertain at this time.
Windows are all good, just need to replace a few rubber seals.
Walls we are wanting to insult. Forum opinions vary from colored puzzle style mats, eco foam from lowes, floor muffler, reflectrix and ensolite. And from using Green Lepage contact cement to liquid nails.
I LOVE the paper mache concept.....as I really want a fairly smooth paintable surface!! More info on that would be great. And your opinion of the insulation.

We will be keeping the counters and such where they are. I have a few spots that the paneling is peeling which I intend to use a glue bath to reapply the peeling parts both on the back side and then applied over th top. This should stop the peeling and also provide me a paintable surface.....planning on white or eggshell cabinets. The sink and stove will be removed. A deeper sink and microwave will replace. We may install a new countertop.
Flooring, we were thinking just a fiberglass linoleum, but I will check you the link you sent.
They vent in the front will be sealed. We are not replacing the fridge......we will bring the ice chest, and I will use that space as storage.

The rhino liner......is sooooo sold on that!! So I guess that is what we will do.....just glad it is available in light colors.

Lastly, epoxy injection solution??? Is this something I should become more familiar with? lol
Thanks for all the insight!!!
Keep the pictures coming......as will we!!
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Regarding the epoxy injection ... It's been suggested here for areas of wood rot in between the fiberglass. If the whole floor is rotted, then it's advisable to replace it. However, if there are small spots here and there, some have suggested to drill a small hole into the problem area, and using a syringe full of epoxy resin, inject and once it hardens in place, the spot should be good. Sounds good to me ... Since I have a few small spots I will give it a try as the previous owner replaced nearly all of the floor already. It has been wet a lot though and we have leaks and I am working on sourcing them out, but it's an ongoing process as new ones occur just as you get rid of old ones!

Regarding the paper mâché concept, I will just attach the link to Stephen's site since he is a pro photographer and took some great shots of it. It used to look like this before last weekend ...

http://earthseaimagery.com/playpac.html

You will see the process and how they essentially used craft paper dipped in glue in 8x10 sheets if I remember correctly. They did a great job, it's just that some of the spray foam insulation they used to attach the hard foam insulation to the ceiling has detached, so I am just regluing those spots with gorilla glue and after overnight bracing, those spots are rock solid thus far.

Now it's just a bunch of wires and chunks of insulation hanging down all over the place. I am very happy to report though that I successfully brought the exterior wiring back inside, so when we do coat it with bedliner, it will really look nice and uniform all over.

Ok, I am officially off to glass in the wood blocks that will ultimatley support a wood column i'm installing, to hopefully level our roof. Prayers appreciated.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a direct link to a post by Stephen where he talks about the modified paper mache and what happens when there is no insulation: Stephen T. Play Pac
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote