Please help.. 16'? Scamp serial numbers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Johnny
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Please help.. 16'? Scamp serial numbers?

Hi, I just bought a scamp trailer without a title only a bill of sale I think it's a 16' because the body measures around 13' and it has a 3 foot tongue, I live in georgia and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get a tag/ replacement title for it. After calling scamp and talking to kent the owner today I came home and sanded all the rust and paint off the trailer tongue and found these serial numbers but I can't tell what year it is or anything else about it from the numbers I'm seeing because nothing matches with the FAQ section dealing with serial numbers. Can anyone help me figure out how to decode this?
Attached Thumbnails
image-2315572142.jpg  
jLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Johnny, see if this helps you: Scamp VIN number Decoding
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If it's a pre-1980, it will have a Scamp specific s/n. The 17 digit standard VINs didn't start until 1981

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #4

Georgia
Yeah, I looked at that decoder today but my numbers don't work out with any of those.
I also looked at the serial number explanation sheet from scamp on the following link http://www.scamptrailers.com/ask-scamp/faq-s.html
And can't seem to make since of it, looks like my serial number either has too many numbers or not enough numbers to fall into any of the year ranges???
I also don't know why my number would be in two lines as shown in my photo??
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #5

Georgia
Looks like:

5 • 3 1
E • 1 • 1 0 3 4 4
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
My 98 Scamp had 2 lines also. One line was the month and year of manufacturer.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

According to the Scamp site, early trailers all had a serial number starting with an "E". Adding the above note on dates, it looks like:

Top line: 5 81. Your Scamp was built in May of 1981
(They tried to stamp an "8" but didn't hit it straight, making it a partial number looking like a 3, but it doesn't look like the "3" in the lower number at all)
Bottom Line: Serial number is E 1 10344
I am guessing that E= company identifier, the first 1 = 1981, and the 10344 = the production sequence number.

Although Scamp should have changed over to the standardized 17 digit VIN by May of 1981, it's entirely possible that they didn't, the mail is a bit slow getting to where they are at!!!!!

Try phoning Scamp and asking them if this makes sense.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
(They tried to stamp an "8" but didn't hit it straight, making it a partial number looking like a 3, but it doesn't look like the "3" in the lower number at all)
My thoughts, exactly.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jLloyd View Post
Hi, I just bought a scamp trailer without a title only a bill of sale I think it's a 16' because the body measures around 13' and it has a 3 foot tongue, I live in georgia and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get a tag/ replacement title for it. After calling scamp and talking to kent the owner today I came home and sanded all the rust and paint off the trailer tongue and found these serial numbers but I can't tell what year it is or anything else about it from the numbers I'm seeing because nothing matches with the FAQ section dealing with serial numbers. Can anyone help me figure out how to decode this?
Have you checked with your DMV to see what is required in Georgia? A few years ago a friend purchased an older Toyota FJ 40 from Georgia, and a bill of sale is all that was required there at that time.
Good Luck
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I think Bob has decoded it for you but you probable should give Kent at Scamp a call back now you have uncovered the serial number and have him confirm Bob's decode is correct before attempting to register it as such.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

Georgia
Thanks everybody, I'll give kent a call Monday to make sure but after zooming in on the picture it does start to look like an 8 so i think you are right bob. Now I have to see how much trouble DMV is going to give me about getting a replacement title and tag before I start rebuilding the camper, I'm gonna have to go all the way to bare frame, fix some rusty places, paint frame, install new pressure treated 3/4" lower floor and 5/8" upper floor then reglass shell to 5/8" floor, I'm trying to get it to this point before my hunting trip nov.6...
Lot of work to do
Old 09-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #12

Before you start taking everything apart be sure to check the axle for sagging, it's common on older Scamps and, if the axle in your 81 is original and over 30 yeasr old, it, most likely, is a candidate for replacement.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #13

Georgia
How do it check it? The lower floor is already taken out and I can see the axel it looks like maybe a 2"x2" square tubing, not sure how the suspension works on it though
Old 09-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #14

Georgia
I just under the scamp and found this tag on the axle, after some cleaning with sand paper here is the tag
Attached Thumbnails
image-845589148.jpg  
Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #15

Georgia
And here is a picture of the axle taken from under the scamp in front of the axel
Attached Thumbnails
image-1498606571.jpg   image-3932288594.jpg  

Old 09-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #16

That sure looks original.

With the same weight inside as original, compare how far up into the wheelwells your tire fit compared to the pics of newer ones you see pictures of. Some one else may be able to tell you how to check the angles of the suspension arms, again, when loaded with it's original weight. But at that age, few would expect top there to be no sagging.