please help me with my door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #21

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Rick,

I don't think it is the original door. because of the shape and because the original LB door had a window. In this door there is no evidence that there was ever a window.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #22

Florida
Registry
Thank you to all who have given your ideas and time to help me work through this,
I agree with all that the door needs work. Lots of work. After tearing my little Ozzy completely down to the ground and putting him back together, I don't want to leave anything that is fixable undone. OK, call me obsessive - I do have trouble striking a happy balance. After my little "scribing" experiment, I feel more comfortable with what needs to be done to the body, just build it up to remove the dent. Then the door will have to be overhauled.

I will update my progress.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #23

Florida
Registry
Went outside today to spend the day working on the Bug. Started to get the door ready to start experimenting on and found that somebody already beat me to it. My door is wood! Could be some of the reason that it has curled out the way that it has. The grain runs up and down. I wondered if they were supposed to be that heavy.

If I can scarf it and put the correct curve in it can I use if as a form for a new fiberglass door. if so, how do I deep the new fiberglass from sticking to the old door? And, since the outside will be up what are my chances of getting a nice smooth look on the outside of the door?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It won't serve as a mold- the resulting door would be too big...what you'd actually have would really just be a new "mold" from which you might be able to cast a new door. I think your chance of successfully doing so with such an imperfect beginning form is very small, however.

I'd suggest talking to a boatbuilder about the project...meanwhile, there are many videos on Youtube about building with fiberglass- well worth checking them out!

Here's a link to one about mold-making:

Good luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Went outside today to spend the day working on the Bug. Started to get the door ready to start experimenting on and found that somebody already beat me to it. My door is wood!
Really? Gosh thats a new one! or is it not just wood on the inside as most are???
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #26

Florida
Registry
nope, just two pieces of 1/8" wood laminated together with a wood rack on the inside to preserve the curve. Sure feel stupid for not realizing it before. Everything was gunked with paint so until I actually started scraping down the door, getting it ready to work on, I didn't know.

I wondered why it was so heavy. Thought it might have moisture in it like some others have. But it never got lighter, even after we left it in the hot garage thinking it would dry it out. lol

Just one more fun surprise.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
nope, just two pieces of 1/8" wood laminated together with a wood rack on the inside to preserve the curve. Sure feel stupid for not realizing it before. Everything was gunked with paint so until I actually started scraping down the door, getting it ready to work on, I didn't know.

I wondered why it was so heavy. Thought it might have moisture in it like some others have. But it never got lighter, even after we left it in the hot garage thinking it would dry it out. lol

Just one more fun surprise.
OUCH! Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Cat, I would bet that there is no good way to make that wood door fit the way the original FG door did when it was built. But, you do have another option...

Several folks have customized their rigs with a screen door. This requires a frame that acts as a jamb. This frame is mounted to the shell. If you are clever, a properly designed and built frame could be fiberglassed to your shell and become an integral part of the body, providing vertical support as well as a square portal. Then you can build a flat entry door from any appropriately prepared material
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #29

Florida
Registry
Thanks Robert and to all who have offered your ideas and opinions,

I have found a boat builder who will make a new door and repair the door frame. We are going to eat some more Love Bug. I do plan to make the vertical brace for the hinge side of the door, that several have mentioned. Will take the curve from the side of the closet from the other side of the door. Hope to someday add a screen door so it will serve that purpose as well as structural support. Will get that additional piece glassed in befor the door is fabricated.

Thanks all,

Cat
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
We are going to eat some more Love Bug.

Cat

True love don't come cheap, do it ?

Francesca
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #31

Florida
Registry
Actually, feeling very little love right now just -trying to get through this and hoping the love will return.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #32

Registry
Cathy hang in there, the love will return the first time you get out and enjoy it!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #33

Florida
Registry
Thanks Carol! I needed some encouragement.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #34

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Cathy,

I am impressed! The work that you have put in is amazing. You are well on your way to having a trailer to be proud of. Even more so, since it is from your own labour. Your kids won't thank you for it, but they should.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #35

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
If your boat builder is going to go to all that trouble, perhaps he could fabricate a door frame that would allow you to replace the existing door with a flat door, such as those available from Atwood. They come with a screen door.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #36

Registry
Also:

If the boatbuilder is actually going to make a mold and form the door from/on it, you might hang on to the mold when he's done.

I'd bet it would be worth something to someone else with Scamp door trouble!

Francesca
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Carol! I needed some encouragement.
Look at it from my perceptive. You have done an amazing amount of work on the trailer since August. Way more than most of us here would ever have attempted to do. Yes you see lots of project photo's being posted but the truth is its the minority here who actually take on sure projects. The rest of us just sit back and go wooooo! In the same time you have almost completely rebuilt a trailer I puttered about with a simple 110 exterior plug - that was a 2 month project for me from purchasing the receptacle and actually installing it and I still have a front overhead bin sitting in my basement since early September that simple needs me to come up with a simple door solution before its installed LOL its a good bet it will still be sitting the basement come the spring!! You go girl!!!