Please Help Me With This Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: Joel
Trailer: Cloud
Florida
Registry
Please Help Me With This Window

Can someone please explain to me how to get the curved plexiglass window into the rubber gasket? Teh corner won't go in because the sides aren't in yet, but the sides won't go in because the corners are in the way. Please somebody explain this to me.
cannibal53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Joel not sure if this will help but there is a Y that might help you
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do you put the window in the rubber, then put it all in the trailer. That is how older windshields were done.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

Florida
Registry
Thanks Carol, the videos were very helpful. Have some extra hands coming to help. My usual helper (pictured at left) is too short to reach.
Mary and Bob, I asked the same question, but was told that is much more difficult than the video method.
Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be sure to buy a lockstrip tool! Yeah, you can use screwdrivers, fingers nails and swear words. But, for a tool that costs less than $20, you won't use a new language nor need to buy a case of hair color Just For Men!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Florida
Registry
The gaskets I got are "self-locking". They have this strip that sort of sticks out, you bend it back into a slot. The nightmarish Tab A into Slot B. Hope it's as easy as advertised. Yes, I'm talking pictures.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

New York
Uhaul used the "fold-in" lock strip on one side window. Lube it with some dish soap. A hook type tool or small screw driver, or old putty knife that doesn't have sharp corners may help. I just sent Pam a NAPA # 3470 hook tool to use on her window replacement, ask her how she liked it. I took one window out that used that type lock strip just to measure the opening size, it went back together easy, less work than the separate lock strip.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Thanks, Bob, I could use some good news today.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
I hang my head in shame and utter defeat. Two friends who also watched the videos, and two people who supposedly had put in "dozens of windshields like this" all failed miserably. We never got one whole corner in. I gut-renovated my whole house, I should be able to do this. My fingers are so sore that tomorrow a friend named Visa is going to take care of it.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

New York
There are some things that are just not as easy as they should be, or are out of our realm of expertise. Sometimes just walking away and trying again later is the solution [I've done it many times] or sometimes we turn it over to an "expert", who may not find it so easy either but won't admit it unless it means charging more. Don't feel bad, if your friends couldn't do it either you're not alone. Sounds like the usual case of things come apart a whole lot easier than they go back together.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Got my Cloud back from the auto glass shop today. He doesn't like me much right now. Since I'm an idiot about how sometings work on the forum, please go to the Cloud gallery to view pictures.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 AM   #12

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
So did the window guy get the window in then? Was it expensive if I may ask? This probably explains why one of the PO's of my Cloud just built frames out of wood for my windows. Not that I mind, I like how they make mine original but they are aging and are going to need to be replaced in the next several years I think.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #13

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Joel the demo on utube shows the man installing the window from the outside, but his rubber gasket in installed with the outside face on the inside. and the window should be installed from the side that the removable locking strip has been removed it is in the center of the outside face. Donna has the right idea of the tool available at Amazon! The top halfway and one top corner is the easiest way to start, work your way across the top watching to make sure the corner stays in place. work your way down each side into the corners work each side of the bottom to the center screw drivers and or a small very stiff putty knife works well,I have a glazing compound putty knife about 3/32s thick ( for putting in window glazing compound), liquid soap is good to lubricate the gasket This works on a boler, My BigFoot is different.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #14

Name: S&G
Trailer: 1977 Boler
British Columbia
Do yourself a favor and get one of these tools. I don't guarantee there won't be any swearing but you will at least be able to get the window installed.

Equalizer Rubber Gasket Locking Tool - Pigtail end | Autoglass Pinch Weld Tools | Auto Glass Replacement Tools | Gtglass | Glass Technology, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails
Pigtail_Tool_for_4dfb9b8a2a4f4.png  
Sue and Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Uhaul used the "fold-in" lock strip on one side window. Lube it with some dish soap. A hook type tool or small screw driver, or old putty knife that doesn't have sharp corners may help. I just sent Pam a NAPA # 3470 hook tool to use on her window replacement, ask her how she liked it. I took one window out that used that type lock strip just to measure the opening size, it went back together easy, less work than the separate lock strip.
We installed our new UHaul windows from the inside, which was on the same side as the locking tab/ lockstrip. So there was a little more 'give' in the weatherstripping on the inside. We used some old heavy duty butter knives to poke and pry and 'negotiate' the window into the rubber weatherstripping inch by inch. That Napa tool could have been used instead of a butter knife, if needed. It was absolutely indespensible to get the lockstrip in.
Here is a picture of our 'tools'. The cup and paintbrush had super soapy water that we used to butter the groove when we were installing the lockstrip in once the window was in the weatherstripping. The rubber mallet was used to make sure the gasket was seated tightly into the perimeter.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Tools.jpg  
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #16

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
WOW!!!!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
From all the horror stories I have read over the years, if we replace our VT windows, I think I would prefer Joel's method to support the local economy.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote