Please help. Sourcing out leaks after rainstorm - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #41

Name: Tracy
Trailer: purchasing a Boler
Alberta
oh, woe is me!
Since I have a ever-narrowing window of opportunity to relocate before the end of summer, about two weeks ago I took my Boler to be serviced instead of trying to pull and reseal the windows and roof myself. The two side slider windows (not original but installed by PO) and the roof vent (original) were removed and resealed using Butyl tape. This weekend was the first time it rained since the repair and to my disappointment, the side window which originally leaked the most is still leaking badly soaking all my bedding and the bunk cushion. I cannot figure out where it is coming from but it appears that all along the bottom edge of the window sill is wet. I am curled up in a ball in the fetal position as we speak!! lol Now what??
CheekyTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #42

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Terribly frustrating those leaks but since you paid someone else to reseal the windows, can't you take it back to them?
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
To make sure it's the window and only the window use blue masking tape to tape split open garbage bag over window (cleans up easier than duct tape). Seal that plastic all the way around. If it rains and the plastic prevents your leak then you will know it is that window for sure.

If bag over whole window frame stops leak you can tape bag only to window and leave only source for leaks the window to trailer wall that you just paid to have sealed.

Giving you better leverage to deal with installer, and if it's not the window frame to wall seal it could be a window seal like the glass to frame seal if your window has that. I could see water running down my screen from that seal being unglued at the top, your seal of window to window frame might be leaking along an edge and running down.

Are you missing any rivets or rivet covers where water could get in and flow down to window?

I feel for you, it can be so frustrating.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #44

Alberta
Thanks Roger:
I will give that a go and see what happens. I was just so upset that it was still leaking and that my new bedding and upholstery that I had just set up all "nicey nicey" this week was soaked that I had to step away and leave it be for a bit . It was a sanity thing ... hahaha ... so I haven't done any more troubleshooting. I appreciate your process of elimination suggestions and will tape up the window tomorrow when I return home from work as there is more rain expected this week ... one step at a time . Thank you for your support! If there are issues with any of the rivets can I seal them on the inside with some latex caulking or silicone? I do have a rivet gun and a bunch of various sized rivets I could replace damaged or missing rivets with if that is a more viable option.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #45

Alberta
Yes Ihanna ... I will contact him about it however I think it may not be the seals but perhaps the windows themselves or as Roger has indicated maybe rivet holes, etc. that I can't see at the moment. He did an excellent job resealing them with the Butyl tape and I can't see that that is where the current problem is stemming from
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #46

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You would seal on outside rather than inside, easier to shed rain than to catch it. Perish the thought of silicon, I think I hear a mob forming with pitch forks and torches.

If you suspect a rivet leak because the rivet is missing or looks like it's a hollow tube leading to the inside above where you see water inside you can test by covering with the blue masking tape.

I don't know if Boler uses snap caps to cover rivets the same as Scamp does. But mine just had rivets when I purchased so I covered with a dab of white liquid electrical tape from the big box home improvement store for that first winter and it worked OK and came off pretty easy with my finger nail this summer when I replaced some rivets. Showed no sign of peeling off without that effort.

Here is a picture of two rivets done with liquid electrical tape applied using a cheap arts and craft paint brush.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture1770.jpg
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #47

Alberta
hahaha ...yes, Roger. I know the mention of silicone sends everyone into a feeding frenzy but I certainly appreciate the advice and knowledge of those "in the know" nonetheless!!
I will do some troubleshooting, albeit reluctantly, and see what I come up with. I have never heard of liquid electrical tape ...who knew?!

I guess I'll be tearing apart all the hard work I just put in during my "vacation" week ... it was the final push to get my trailer packed and ready to go after weeks of around the clock work ... cleaning, painting, upholstering, modifying the closet, etc.!! Unfortunately, tomorrow I am back to work. I'm not bitter .
Old 07-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #48

Alberta
Well, I resigned from my gov't job today so no backing out from leaving Calgary now but unfortunately my trailer window is still leaking. I taped a garbage bag around the inside window as suggested and then it never rained for two weeks so I took it off. Instead I took duct tape and taped along the bottom edge of the aluminum frame and formed a lip up so the slider could still be opened but the bottom remains sealed as that is where the water is definitely coming in from. Once again, I took weed wacker line and cleaned out my weep holes even though I have already tried that. Today, we had a freak hailstorm and I raced out to see if I could figure out where the water is getting in...the water is pooling in the inside window track of the aluminum sliding window (the tape kept it in t he track instead of running down the wall but I cannot see it running down between the glass or anything. Last week I purchased some marine epoxy putty and put it over any questionable rivets between the ensolite and the fiberglass around the window frame although none seemed to be unsealed. I have previously tried to take the sliding panes out but have been unable to get them apart. An exercise in frustration continues as I will likely be leaving in two weeks! What to do? What to do?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #49

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Tracy,

I know it's late to join in, we have a similar issue. Donna is exactly right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I tend to be one of those people who start ripping things out till I find the culprit, only to find out later that I am the culprit who has torn everything up and found the simplest problem. ugh.. I have been sitting inside during the rain storms here. so far so good. I thought one of my windows was leaking, well when I sat inside I found that the mattress in the rear of my trailer was pressing the wall out (wall support one thing that needs work) causing a small gap where the rear window is, and resolved it temporarily by pulling the bedding away from the wall. hope by now you have solved your problem, just thought I'd chime in.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #50

Alberta
So the duct tape has made an appearance! I ran it along the bottom of the aluminum window trim and folded it up to make a sealed edge to hold the water that is pooling in the track from running down the wall but still be able to open the sliding window. It poured rain through the night and no leaking onto the bench! I think it is the seal(s) between glass and frame as Roger has alluded to but I have been unable to remove the panes! When I have had sliding windows in my home I have been able to lift them up and out of the tracks to clean them but I can't seem to do this with these ones. Am I missing something here?? lol

Tags
leaks