Plexiglass stationary windows in older Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #1

Name: Lesa
Trailer: In the market!
Arizona
Plexiglass stationary windows in older Scamp

I can't find anything using the search function in my cellphone app about how to care for my Plexiglass windows.

Firstly my front and rear windows are trash right now. They are likely 30 years old. I'm preparing to order new ones along with new seals. I am currently parked at an RV Park in Arizona. It is rather hot here. While working on my project the past two weeks I noticed that the windows spider cracks are growing. Because I'm noticing that process and I am new to both TTs (travel trailers) and FG eggs. I don't want to ruin the new ones.

I'm guessing that sun is an enemy of the plexiglass? as are road debris and rocks.

I have read about the gravel guard. I don't love that it is not hinged and wonder if it is the best solution for daily use as an awning.

An idea I thought of was to make or have made a shade cloth awning/window covering similar to those used by big Class A's. They are installed on the outside of the window. I think that this may function as a gravel guard as well.

Thoughts? Links to info? Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Simply,
Lesa

SimplyLesa.blogspot.com

PS I found and watched a couple YouTube videos from 2009. Where they replaced a window. It's helpful for me to see the process.
SimplyLesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Sun (UV light) is the #1 enemy of plastics. Plexiglass is also a relatively soft plastic. If you can get the plexi out of the frames, a plastics fabrication shop could use that as a template to make new panes from Lexan (much harder - it's what taillight and headlight lenses are) which is more expensive but definitely more durable and impact resistant.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When cleaning your plastic windows use car wash detergent and a steady flow of water. Avoid just using a wet towel or sponge. you want to knock the dirt loose and flow it away not grind it into a towel and scrub it into the Plexiglas. Stay away from ammonia based products and any solvent cleaners they remove the plasticizers and shorten the life of the plastic. When you need to polish the windows to remove haze try the product below. This stuff will also work well on your plastic headlights if you catch it early and do it every 4 months or so before they get too bad. Follow the instructions. Once the plastic window starts getting stress cracks there isn't anything you can do but replace it. The window has lost all its plasticizers and the plastic has dried out and starts checking.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...leaner-polish/
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
We just replaced our plexi windows last week. When we got our 1987 Scamp a few weeks ago, both windows were cracked and needed replacing.
We took the Scamp for a little trip to try it out and after a few hours on the freeway the front window crack started spreading quickly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1405353757.466871.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	73612
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1405353782.627598.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	73613

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Arizona
Wow!
Did you do the replacement yourself?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
When we installed the new windows I was able to use a trim router and cut/trace around the old ones. It was an absolute pain in the butt installing the new ones but we got it done. Definitely a two person job.

We also installed the rock shield on the front. That was easier. Sorry I don't have pics just yet. If you go to www.zelophotoblog.com/91204 you can see more pics and we'll be updating stuff there. You can also search Instagram/twitter/Facebook for the hashtag #scamptastic to see more

-Seth

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's several things you can use to clean the plexi. I use Meguiars Plastic cleaner and polish. To find the best solution go to a marina in your area and find what the boat owners use to keep their windshields clean. I know some glider pilots that use Turtle Wax the plexi canopies. What ever you DO NOT use Windex.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #8

Arizona
Thanks I didn't know not to use Windex
Old 07-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLesa View Post
Thanks I didn't know not to use Windex

If you see a window that's hazed over or headlights that look like they're frosted chances are somebody's used Windex or some other glass cleaner on them. Those glass cleaners are made to be used on glass not plastic.

Tags
scamp, windows