PLS help with installation with roof top AC for 13' scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Scamp 1999 13' Standard
Ohio
PLS help with installation with roof top AC for 13' scamp!

Hello!

Well, we went ahead and found a 13.5 BTU unit online (roof top) AC unit for our 1999 scamp.

However, when I called the factory to ask if they had any suggestions about doing the electric, etc. he said that when the factory sells them with AC units in the roof they are supported more. Apparently that means this one isn't full supported to have a unit installed in the rooftop.

He said it CAN be done, but noone from service was in until tomorrow.

Is there anyone else who has installed this on the roof of a 13' unit that did not COME with AC?

I had no idea this would be a problem and now we have a $550 unit arriving tomorrow......

please help!!!!!!!!!! TIA!
Jeanne
jwannacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I assume by "supported" you mean structural reinforcement to the roof rather than "represented as being designed for AC installation and so warranted" or whatever the boilerplate would be. You can't possibly have any warranty left on a '99 trailer so on that angle you're free to cut and try but you will be happy that you found out in the long term. So put the carton in the garage until you get the gospel from Scamp and have the work done. Or send it back and eat the shipping and restocking fee. Or resell it. I don't think you'd feel any better if you hadn't discovered this until a diy install failed.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I only have bad news. I have read on this forum before that those roofs were not made to support AC. I went to Scamp's website and found this link that basically said something similar with more details.

Sorry...
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Its true unless your Scamps roof was built with the reinforced roof its not going to work out well. Perhaps someone else has solved the problem but I have a hunch its not going to be a real easy fix..... may involve a lot of fiberglass work on the roof for starters. I know that others who have put in after market ac's often mounted them in the lower cabinet area for that reason.

Jeanne, on the links that were provided to you previously on this topic, roof vs window mount - post #11 indicated what would happen if you put a roof mount on a scamp that was built originally with one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

Ohio
Oh no...

and Carol when I posted the question about the AC I don't recall seeing anything that said no to a roof AC or a red flag, I must have missed that. I don't want one in the window and we don't really have room for one in the side. And I didn't want a big one sitting inside a 13' scamp....it would take up the entire space.

I wish the company who sold it (and another one locally that I told what it was going into) would have raised the question of support.

I can only hope and pray that the technicians can help. The man said it CAN be done, but my husband isn't a fiberglass guy (altho he can do almost anything)....I feel like a fool that I didn't catch this.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Bummer!
My guess is that Scamp would avoid any modification for AC that was too radical, they would not want to have totally different manufacture process for building roof top AC model of camper.

Thinking it through there are only a few ways to prevent sagging.
  • Thicker material. ( 1 inch board will sag less than 1/2 inch board given same load and span)
  • Ribs or ridges to stiffen. ( the ridges running front to back on scamp roof help make it stiffer on it's longer span)
  • Shorten the span. ( a 3 foot board will sag less than a 6 foot board of same thickness under the same load)
  • Load transfer. (corner braces, or the closet being attached to both wall and roof)
You can see examples in the scamp, closets shoten roof span as does the twisted metal support for cabinets. Ribs formed into roof, or the metal bar on hinge side of door provide extra stiffness where needed.

I'm hoping they did not go with the easiest from the perspective of manufacturing, just add thickness to the roof, that would be hardest to do as a modification But they could have done multiple things. Thicker roof, ribs of some sort at opening, vertical support in the closet to shorten the span.

Hopefully since they said you need to talk to the techs, there is some option available.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

Michigan
Installed in the bottom of the closet seems popular location, you lose some storage but is stock location on many scamps.

The other place that is sort of unobtrusive is in the back wall so it comes out under the dining table, supported by the bumper. Using a remote control that might not be too bad. Especially if you leave your dinette as a bed most of the time.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think she ordered a roof only mount, why 13.5 for a 13' footer is beyond me, it will make it into a meat locker. Hopefully she can resell it at a small loss. Another 7 P's lesson
learned here.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think she ordered a roof only mount, why 13.5 for a 13' footer is beyond me, it will make it into a meat locker. Hopefully she can resell it at a small loss. Another 7 P's lesson
learned here.
You have a point, had not noticed the 13.5k btu, I think most folks get away with 5k or 6k in a 13 ft.

So what are the 7 P's?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
learned here.

Wish I would have heard this information on my original thread asking for help finding a smaller unit. Oh well guess it's a learning curve. :/ Besides we don't really know any RVers. And when I contacted a local supplier telling them what we have and what we think we wanted there was no comment about this being too much, even tho I asked didn't this unit seem like it produced too much for a small trailer?!

I am sure we will have to return it and figure something else out at this point.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
Jeanne,
This forum is for some guidance and help but should not be relied upon solely in you making decisions. You need to become an informed buyer and will after ownership. You have 10 posts so hopefully 200 more will make you more knowledgeable. Do you belong to the Scamp forum also a good source of information. If I had read your question I may have suggested an alternative, but there are over 100 new posts here daily. There is also rv net- another forum. I belong to a half dozen and learn from all of them.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #12

Ohio
Thanks. After this challenge, I think we'll be fine. I just wish I would have called Scamp. I didn't think a thing b/c I see lots of pictures with scamps - with roof AC units mounted.

Live and learn. I'm just sorry I didn't do more research.

Hopefully we can return with shipping costs b/c I completely talked to the guy about what it was going to be installed in and told him I was unsure of the under unit. Had I known (and seen a picture) of the size of that thing I would have thought twice.

Oh well, live and learn like I said. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I only have bad news. I have read on this forum before that those roofs were not made to support AC. I went to Scamp's website and found this link that basically said something similar with more details.

Sorry...
Eric! More reasons why I should have consulted Scamp, dag! Thanks for posting!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
P[roper] P[rior] P[lanning] P[revents] P[**s] P[oor] P[erformance. One of the problems with queries to an interest group is that no one may be all that interested on the day you need help and the next day the answer to your prayers may show up. Take multiple polls. Let things percolate. Read the literature. Identify the expert (if you can) and steal from the best. In the meantime, study specs, formulae, rv books, Google every subject for the Ah-has, the caveats, and the "don't go theres."

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
I thought it was prior/proper.....

actually we are both wrong, I checked and this what I found
The 7 Ps is a British Army adage for Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

actually further research reveals additional versions
Other versions of the 7 Ps

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Piss Poor Planning Promotes Piss Poor Performance
Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Positive Pre-Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
sorry for hijacking the thread, now back to regular programming....
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #17

Michigan
The scamp store sells the Coleman Polar Cub, a 9600 btu unit as stock, it has a very low pofile and does not stick up much so it would have less wind stress. Since I only saw one listed I imagine it is sufficient to cool a 16 ft as well as a 13 ft, and probably the 19 ft. 5th wheel.

If you followed the recommendation of the seller as to the cooling capacity of the unit to purchase I think you are on very solid ground to return it and not pay any sort of restocking fee or what have you to the seller. I would even debate shipping costs unless they specifically stated in purchase agreement you had to pay it no matter why it was being returned.

With a 13,500 btu AC unit on a 13 ft camper you could stick a Fridgidaire label on the door and store bag ice to sell at the campground.

It may well be your best bet if you want a roof air unit is to plan a trip to Minn. and let Scamp install it unless they can suggest someone in the Ohio area. Depends on what the techs say I guess.

BTW - it was really nice what you said about your husband being able to do most anything. Us hubbies appreciate that.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #18

Ohio
Thanks Roger! I appreciate all that you said. I am going to call the co I bought it from today and hopefully even intercept the FED EX guy and return it at our door!

I seriously questioned the size when we were on the phone.

As far as going up to Scamp, yikes! We were thrilled to find one for sale used that was only 2 hours from our house. It would be a 2 DAY drive there - and 2 DAY drive home. (one reason we were happy not to need to buy a new one). And plus, like I said, my husband can do almost anything - he has already put in a silverware drawer, a big drawer under the closet door, shelves into where the big closet is, new carpet, changed location of some funky electric, a new "back splash" - that vinyl tile that looks like pressed tin, etc. (I've done some work too - painted all of the doors, changed hardware, cleaned cushions and sewing window treatments) - just not nearly as much as him! This way it helps him to feel like he "owns" it more. Which is perfect b/c it was my idea to get this.

We went out last night and were looking around for a location for the AC unit. He's going to find a very small one locally (hopefully today). I think we found a good spot - below the table (Frank will move the spare to the front). This way it will cool the space when the table is up and then when it's down it will still be able to push out that open space. We REALLY don't want it in the window.

Wish us luck! And thanks for all of the help on this everyone.
Jeanne
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #19

Ohio
GREAT NEWS! I called the company to explain, they said just refuse it and are working on the claim. No mention of restocking or shipping costs. How nice to deal with such a good company!

And locally we found a 5200 BTU window unit at Sears so that will be installed in the back.

Now back to the window treatments!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
aahhh, 7 p's is now working, great news.

Tags
scamp