Plugging in to the campground power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Plugging in to the campground power

Well, looks like next weekend will work for a first time outing in the Trillium. Will I need a special extension cord to plug into the campground power or will my good ol outdoor cord that I use for the weedeater etc work?
Also, do I need my own garden hose to hook up water supply?

Thanks for answering these questions.
Todd

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 10:18 PM   #2

Hi Todd,

Sorry I don't know the answers (I have always tented until now)
I have the exact same questions though too, hopefully someone will be able to help us out.

Have a great maiden voyage!

Old 06-15-2003, 05:41 AM   #3

Hi Todd
We just use a normal heavy duty extension cord. Weedeater cord will work fine.

About the hose, I see your from Ontario. Sites with water hookup in Ontario are extremely rare and only privately owned sites. The only ones we've ever found were around Niagara.....but yes your garden hose will work but get a pressure reducing valve. Its just a little thing that screws onto your inlet then onto the hose and reduces the water pressure so it won't damage your trailers water lines.
Nancy

Old 06-15-2003, 06:13 AM   #4

Water hoses

FYI..there was just recently a news item about using regular waterhoses for drinking purposes. It appears the regular hoses "leach" chemicals into the water, posing a health threat (especially if the hose has been laying out in the sun). It was adviced to use hoses designed specifically for the purpose of drinking water. Any store that sells RV items carries the needed hose. I purchased one last summer (to replace an old one) and it was about $30USD for 25feet. It's white with a blue stripe, so I can tell the difference between my water line and gray water hose. The hose is also designed to work under pressure.:wiggly

Old 06-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #5

Hooking Up

Unless your Trillium cord was removed, you should have roughly a twenty footer attached to the trailer already. If you are going to need more, make sure you have a heavy duty cord.(at least 14 guage)

the reason for this is that a light duty cord will overheat, and could cause a fire, yeah , I know not likely, but it could happen.

The number one cause of electrical fires in Ontario is extension cords.

As far as water, Donna D is right -- buy and use an rv water hose, I got mine at Canadian tire two years ago for 15 bucks.

Most Provincial parks have limited water and/or hydro hookups.
If you check the Ontario Parks link you can get a list of sites at each park that have hydro or water.

Another good site is Parks Ontario For Private campgrounds

Old 06-15-2003, 07:42 AM   #6

That's correct

If you need an extension, buy a 30-amp cord. It will have the correct plugs for connecting to your existing pigtail and to the park outlet. In addition to the 30-amp electric outlet, parks usually also have a 15-amp outlet (which is the standard household plug) and some will have a 50-amp outlet, which is for the giant motorhomes. But the 30-amp is the best way to go. The cords usually run about $1 per foot, i.e. 25' = $25 or $30 (US).

Yes, get drinking-water ''certified'' hose, which is usually (but not always) white. 25-feet is $10 or less at WalMart, any local RV store or CampingWorld. I'm planning to get one of those coiled hoses, which look like they might be easier to roll up and stash. Carry a separate hose for washing down, etc. Never use your dedicated water hose for anything but water supply. Suggestion: carry a bottle of dilute bleach to spray the water faucet and hose ends before you connect--you never know what tall dog has been walking around that park! That bleach spray is handy around the sewer drains and hoses too.

Put the pressure regulator at the faucet, ahead of the hose, so that your hose is protected from high pressure, as well as your inside plumbing. Most parks have notably low pressure, but you never know, and sometimes pressure spikes up during the night. You don't want to wake up to the music of an interior sprinkler system.;)

Old 06-15-2003, 08:42 AM   #7

Down With 30 Amp Cords!

You don't need a heavy-duty extension cord. A cord rated at 15 amps will do just fine.

I hated the heavy-duty 30 amp cord that was permanantly connected to my Scamp. I did not see the need for it, especially when everything (including the roof a/c or 1500 watt electric heater) worked fine when plugged into a 15 amp outlet at home. I installed a power inlet inside my cable hatch, and now use a regular 3 wire extension cord.

See my web page, and click on modifications and repairs. Scroll down to the section titled "Power Inlet".

-- Dan Meyer

Old 06-15-2003, 08:59 PM   #8

Dan,

We need to be careful proclaiming you don’t need a 30 Amp cord. I have a 2000 Honda and it can’t run my air conditioner and Microwave at the same time, blows a fuse. That is 2000 not just 1500.

Now when my wife turns on the hair dryer, everything else comes to a stop.

On my Casita there are seperate circuits. 30 Amps will allow both Air and Hair dryer at the same time.

Just one more thought. Those cheap 110 volt cords come in different wire sizes and lengths. The longer the cord the more “line loss” there is.

Just my 2¢

Old 06-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #9

Hi
I am going to stick with my heavy duty ext cord.I have seen too many plugs melt and line damage from to small of a cable.It is in my opionion unsafe.

:)

Old 06-16-2003, 05:31 PM   #10

Correct again!

Quote:
Orginally posted by Chester TajeHiI am going to stick with my heavy duty ext cord.I have seen too many plugs melt and line damage from to small of a cable.It is in my opionion unsafe.:)
Not just unsafe, the ordinary 15 amp. extension cord can cause motors to burn up due to line loss and lower voltage at the business end of the cord. Problem increases as the cord gets longer. Ever feel the warmth of the cord when you're running a weed-eater or something like that on a long cord? That's resistance in the line, causing delivery of lower voltage. A 15-amp cord, say 14 or 16 ga., might be ok if you're only running the lights in the trailer, but if you turn on the a/c, micro or other appliance which requires substantial wattage, be prepared to buy a new appliance.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #11

another ?

We just booked at the campsite. The owner says I will need to get a 15 amp convertor to run my trailer on their 30 amp outlet. Is this true for my Trillium?

Thanks for the replies
Todd

Old 06-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #12

Trillium power

Yes it is Todd. The trillium has a regular 15 amp plug on it, the campground probably has 30/50 amp outlets.
You can buy a converter for about 10-15$ at any rv dealer, or most hardware stores.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #13

So, by 'convertor' in this case, we're just talking about the adapter for the plug, right?

:conf

Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #14

I hope so...

I just bought a plug adaptor for less than $3 at Camping World on my lunch "hour."

It is way easy to get carried away in one of those places.... There were lots of things it would be neat to have, probably few I really needed though. I did my best to limit myself but I HAD to have mirrors and an ice chest and one fo those cool maps to show where you've been and....

Fortunately, when I pick mine up in two weeks I'll be right next to a camping world to fill in any gaps in what the seller is leaving in it.

Old 06-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #15

camping world spending

I know what you mean, I get to camping world once a year when we visit my wife's family in Windsor On. I spend far too much each time, and have to pray they don't nail me too hard at the border.

If you picked up the $30.00 UTM mirror your,gonna love it

Old 06-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #16

There aren't THAT many CW...

I live about 17 miles from one now, there is one 30 miles from where I am picking up the Trill and there is one about 10 miles from my mom's house in Utah. It's like they are following me!

Old 06-19-2003, 07:37 PM   #17

$30 UTM mirror

:splat I paid over $60 for mine - for EACH SIDE!
Man, This is the bad part about living too far away from a big city. :bh

Old 06-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #18

Prices

It can be tough if you need something at the last minute, but Camping World and a lot of other places do ship. Does Canadaian Tire ship? All y'all Northerners are always talking about them great deals you get there. Those of us south of the Border are jealous!

Old 06-20-2003, 05:40 PM   #19

shipping and paying

Canadian tire is just getting into the web based stuff and starting to ship.

OTOH,, Lainey, I was in a local rv shop today, their price was 79.95 $C each for the UTM.
Canadian Tire is like a Revy or Ace now, they have changed a lot in the past 5-10 years

Old 06-20-2003, 06:24 PM   #20

Joe

Ok, I don't feel so bad now - $60 was a steal compared to $80!