Pop-top mods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element

Click image for larger version

Name:	2_Cadet_Ext_Awning.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	6479

This photo is not our Cadet, but is from the album, gives a good view of the Cadet pop-top. You can see that the fabric skirt (which is not weather resistant) is actually on the inside of the roof opening, and the lifting mechanism is on the outside. I would like to change this so that, like the Compact Jr, a new canvas skirt is on the outside, and the mechanism is on the inside. I plan to use an awning fabric.

Any suggestions?
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
humm, the only problem I see is with the mechanism on the inside, there's no place for the fabric to go when folded down...unless you can figure out a method to release the mechanism and allow it to hang down inside the trailer. That would allow the fabric to also come inside the trailer.

Does this make sense
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #3

Quote:
humm, the only problem I see is with the mechanism on the inside, there's no place for the fabric to go when folded down...unless you can figure out a method to release the mechanism and allow it to hang down inside the trailer. That would allow the fabric to also come inside the trailer.

Does this make sense
Donna: Actually, there is a space a couple inches between the inside of the top and the outside of the lip of the opening and the fabric could fit there. It's like putting a 1-inch lid on a 3/4-inch jar. I had a boat with a pop-top and the arrangement was sort of like this, and the skirt was removable, so I'm trying to apply the principle to this problem.

It's a 3 pipe problem, as Sherlock Holmes might remark.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I would like to change this so that, like the Compact Jr, a new canvas skirt is on the outside, and the mechanism is on the inside.

[b]Any suggestions?
Be careful what you wish for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact_Jr_Rear_Closed.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	6487

My Compact Jr's "skirt" was easily damaged if I was not meticulous in rolling and tucking the fabric into the void between the upper and lower roof sections when securing the roof down for travel. This was a tedious chore that the previous owner often neglected. When neglected, the fabric would ooze out from beneath the upper roof section and lay exposed where the sun would rot it. This sun rot can be seen as a brown stain in the front quarter of the skirt in the 2nd photo. This rot progressed despite all my attempts to arrest it, and resulted in an open gash which I could not mend, requiring total replacement of the skirt.

I would have preferred your design.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact_Jr_Rear_Open.jpg  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #5

Frederick: One problem with the original design is that the skirt is the same fabric used on the walls and ceiling, and dampness will wick, resulting in mold, etc. No simple solution, but thanks for the photos. The fabric looks heavy...is it like canvas?

The interior of the Cadet had what I can only describe as an inside-out slipcover, all of the same fabric. After removing all cabinets it's a matter of grabbing an end and pulling it out. Kind of like skinning a rabbit.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The original material used on the Compact Jr. was a heavy vinyl with clear vinyl windows. Mine lasted 33 years before it needed to be replaced. Frederick is correct about having to pull in the folds as the upper roof in dropped. I always do a walk around, then rearrange the folds before fastening the latches that secure the upper roof.
Tom Trostel
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #7

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
The fabric looks heavy...is it like canvas?
I never could identify it. It was a 2 part material, a white cotton cloth toward the inside with a non-porous surface toward the outside. ...almost like an oilcloth, but sturdier... But it was amazingly lightweight.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #8

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
... a heavy vinyl with clear vinyl windows.
Mine was more "tent-like" with solid fabric flaps (instead of windows) that closed with zippers. We added tent screen material to cover the openings.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I never could identify it. It was a 2 part material, a white cotton cloth toward the inside with a non-porous surface toward the outside. ...almost like an oilcloth, but sturdier... But it was amazingly lightweight.
That was the fabric on my boat. I guess a good awning shop is the place to start the search. But, I'm still scratching my head over the new way I'm going to put this thing together.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Don, do you have to go outside to drop, lift and secure?

If so, could you put a zipper near the actuators and pull them from the inside through the opening made by the zipper?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Don, do you have to go outside to drop, lift and secure?

If so, could you put a zipper near the actuators and pull them from the inside through the opening made by the zipper?
No, pushing up and pulling (and securing) are done from inside. Zippers are an interesting idea. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
sure, you could put a zipper around the center at the circumference. With unzipping that, you could make two pieces that would literally "Hang In There". They would naturally drape inside.. no stuffing.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
sure, you could put a zipper around the center at the circumference. With unzipping that, you could make two pieces that would literally "Hang In There". They would naturally drape inside.. no stuffing.
Gina: Another interesting idea. My mind boggles!