Pop-up owners: Windows in your canvas? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Trailer: Compact Jr
Pop-up owners: Windows in your canvas?

My sister has parked her Compact Jr. here at my place for the winter, and I'm making a few minor modifications that she wanted.

One major thing she wants done is to have the pop-up canvas replaced. Sewing new canvas is a bit beyond me (if she wanted a half a**ed job, she'd just keep the canvas that's on there already ), and she's ready to step up to having a pro do it.

The big question is what kind of windows (if any) to have in the canvas.

What kind of windows do you other Compact (jr. and II) owners have in your pop-up canvas? Currently she's got rectangular windows with screen sewn permanently in place, with flexible clear plastic covers that velcro over the inside. I've seen pics somewhere of a pop-up with semi-circular windows (shaped like the setting sun) with permanent screens, and canvas semi-circular flaps on the inside that zipped into place.

Is it, in your opinion, necessary to have clear plastic, or would screens with canvas covers be fine?

Extra bonus points for pictures

Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Easy for me to have an opinion... I don't have a pop top

I like what Francene did. I think if it was crudy weather I'd just button up the top. so fresh air and clear windows would be nice in the sunny weather: Francene about the pop-top

On Edit: Steve you may find these two postings of interest: Harry Young's contact for pop up canvas

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I like the windows, like the screens, too. I might even suggest all clear material with screen windows that could be shut, it would be like a skylight.
Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
We have what your sister has, two rectangle windows with permanent screens with flexible clear plastic with velcro on the inside. Windows along the long sides of the pop top, none on the ends.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Trailer: Compact Jr
An update: We decided to put off the new canvas until new winter. She's decided that she wants pretty much what she's got now: Screen windows with clear zip-up (or velcro) covers.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Trailer: Hunter 1 / Jeep Liberty
When I redid mine, I doubled the screen and left off the plastic windows. If I get cold I just pop the top down.

Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Name: Dave
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr; 1972 Astro (Havasu?)
When I do replace the canvas; I will use a lighter fabric (Sunbrella) which is easier to sew. The screens are sewn into the material and the 'windows are clear vynil which are sewn at the bottom and held in place with velcro on the top and sides.

Whoever worked on it before use silico to try to attach the velcro; the adhesiv efailed to stick to the velcro so I have them secured with safety pins for the time being.

When I replace; the velcro will be sewn on.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Steve-- when I redid the CJ 3 years ago, I left the windows out (I'm cheep), used grey vynil awning type material. Didn't seem to make any difference in the amount of interior light. I did add a second roof vent, however for venilation. Larry

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote