Popping Noise When Using Tongue Jack Today to Put Trailer On Jacks For Winter - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #15
Name: Phil
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500 (previously a 1978 Trillium 4500, Rpod 171 and Surveyor SV251)
I think the key thing said was that the noise was heard at the same point in each rotation of the tongue jack. Tongue jacks do fail after a time. I know, I had one fail on a three year old Rpod. The teeth either wear out or start to bend away from each other if they are over worked. Tongue jacks are relatively cheap to replace. Try to stay away from any cheap imported ones and you should be fine.

77 Trillium 4500
Phil 4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #16
Name: Steve
Trailer: Trillium 1300 (1980)
Jack noise

I'm glad to see the last post brings up exactly what I thought when I read your problem: the tongue jack itself may well be the culprit. Some of them, including mine, have a threaded rod with a special style of thread called "acme" (thoughts of the Roadrunner cartoons for those of a certain age...).

This style of threading sometimes develops cracks or pits that cause the bearing surface to catch momentarily, always "at the same point in the rotation". That phrase you used makes it seem very likely this is the issue.

pogophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #17
Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. I will definitely inspect the tongue jack and other components again with a fine tooth comb. Strange that the noise was heard mid to rear trailer though, unless it was just echoing underneath. As I said earlier though axle and frame always look great when I've been under there. My theory was that the rubber cords inside the axle were relieving themselves of twist and pressure as the trailers weight came off. But I probably just made all that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Wendy, I think the poster for a bad jack has it right. You could do a little test to find out. Drop the tongue jack back to the tow height and use a floor jack to raise it back up to where you have it now. If no pops....well that pretty much points to the tongue jack wearing out. Easy fix too .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
How old is the trailerand in what condition is ith axle?
Old trailers with "dead" axles have seen lots of shock loading on the frame and many have cracked and broken frames in the front under the floor ahead of the door.
The frames crack where the sheetmetal screws go into the frame and the weldments where the dropped door section ties into the right front of the frame.
Also weak points are where the frams is bent to an angle to meet at the hitch.
This is especially true for the earlier 14 gauge rectangular tubibg before the change to the 11 Gauge.
My 1985 was cracked in many spots and had been poorly repairs several times.
I am cutting all of this out and replaceing with the 11 Gauge (1/8") tubibg and adding the lower frame 3" X 1 1/2" part doubler as well.
I have not decided yet but I think I will aslo reinforce the rear as well wioth some tapered sections from the center 6" part to the rear bumper so that I can jack the thing where ever I want.
This will add to the weight, but it should then last for the rest of my days!
While I am in there I am also replacing that 30 year old axle with a new one.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Hi Redbarron,

The trailer is a 2012 and has always towed like a dream. No dog legging or crab legging (depending on your metaphor . Was in an accident with PO before I bought her but the axle and frame checks out fine as far as I or anybody else can tell. I've looked for these cracks and such that you've mentioned but all looks sound and in absence of any erratic behaviors in the multiple times I towed this year (my first camping experiences with trailer) I am inclined to think all is well there, but will inspect again of course.

I want to seriously look at tongue jack as trailer came off ball with PO and the tongue dragged some before stopping. FG was repaired at Scamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote