PopTop for TrailsWest Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Anyone know of a source for replacement poptop (preferably someone who has the pattern and/or is set up to provide without reinventing the wheel...) for TrailsWest Campster?

DJ Hirte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Nope, but let me know if you find one... I haven't replaced my top but it wouldn't hurt. I know what most people do is take the old one off and have someone copy it (or do it without windows, or as just a screen but I like the versatility.)

I haven't quite figured out how to reattach it if I take it off.

Anyway, welcome to the forum to another Campster owner!

What year is yours?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If you google replacement canvas you will find a bunch of popup type canvas makers, I'll bety one of them could fix you up.

I had a Starcraft pop up years ago and had new canvas ends made for it, they worked out great.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Nope, but let me know if you find one... I haven't replaced my top but it wouldn't hurt. I know what most people do is take the old one off and have someone copy it (or do it without windows, or as just a screen but I like the versatility.)

I haven't quite figured out how to reattach it if I take it off.

Anyway, welcome to the forum to another Campster owner!

What year is yours?

Bobbie
Mine is a 69, have owned in since the mid-90's. The top is fairly easy to disassemble/assemble. I had mine apart last year to replace the plywood under the fiberglass lid, the wood had disintegrated. The canvas(actually the original was a hybrid sort of half plastic half canvas?) attached to a frame top and bottom, the lid justs sits on the frame and is attached from the top (6 screws which you can see from above)
A subsequent poster sayd google up canvas tops which I will try again, but the locals here don't want to touch it. It's not that different from a boat top but.....
Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
If you google replacement canvas you will find a bunch of popup type canvas makers, I'll bety one of them could fix you up.

I had a Starcraft pop up years ago and had new canvas ends made for it, they worked out great.
will try that again, but it didn't work last summer. Boat top makers around here disdain one-off little trailers
Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
will try that again, but it didn't work last summer. Boat top makers around here disdain one-off little trailers
I wonder why they turn down money, since they are in business. Especially for such a simple sewing job. When I replaced the top on my Compact last year, my upholstry man (aka Tijuana Tony ) stopped by took a few measurements, -wouldn't take the old one for a pattern, came back a day later, dropped it off, collected $150, said gracias and adios........ Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0518.JPG   SANY0520.JPG  

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1970 Campster
I like the upholstery shop idea. There are lots of them down here in SoCal and that would save me the trouble of sewing one myself. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get replacements for the pop-up mechanism for my Campster. The piece of aluminum that slides in the track is bent and the nylon wheels are broken. Any ideas?
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Mine is a 69, have owned in since the mid-90's. The top is fairly easy to disassemble/assemble. I had mine apart last year to replace the plywood under the fiberglass lid, the wood had disintegrated. The canvas(actually the original was a hybrid sort of half plastic half canvas?) attached to a frame top and bottom, the lid justs sits on the frame and is attached from the top (6 screws which you can see from above)
A subsequent poster sayd google up canvas tops which I will try again, but the locals here don't want to touch it. It's not that different from a boat top but.....
I have the original and would like to duplicate it... I may try that this summer. Tricky with the zippers for windows so I'll have to think about how to do it.

How is the canvas attached to the frame? ( How was the original attached?)
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a couple of topics:
Pop-top slider replacement parts

roof window leak in Compact Jr

Maybe something in one of those two topics will help?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
I order my replacement pop tops from CanvasReplacements.com phone number 715-255-9332 send a pic of what you want to bob[at]canvasreplacements.com and he will send you a quote back. I sent pics of my Astro (same tent as Campster) last thursday when I get the quote back I will post.

Address is: Canvas Replacements W2299 Hwy 98 Loyal WI. 54446

They sell hardware as well and do custom work.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #11

Got a call from Chris G. at canvasreplacements.com and he said there is no problem on the manufacture of the Campster, Astro, Hunter, or Compact series pop tops. He priced mine at 415.00 with 4 windows and choice of fabric and colors. He is going into his busy season starting April so there is a 30 day lead time in having the order made. Another email to use is info[at]canvasreplacements.com. He looked the F.B.R.V. site over and saw nothing on it he could not manufacture. Phone number 715-255-8142.

Harry
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
I wonder why they turn down money, since they are in business. Especially for such a simple sewing job. When I replaced the top on my Compact last year, my upholstry man (aka Tijuana Tony ) stopped by took a few measurements, -wouldn't take the old one for a pattern, came back a day later, dropped it off, collected $150, said gracias and adios........ Larry
So Larry, is Tijuana Tony still about? --Darrell
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Got a call from Chris G. at canvasreplacements.com and he said there is no problem on the manufacture of the Campster, Astro, Hunter, or Compact series pop tops. He priced mine at 415.00 with 4 windows and choice of fabric and colors. He is going into his busy season starting April so there is a 30 day lead time in having the order made. Another email to use is info[at]canvasreplacements.com. He looked the F.B.R.V. site over and saw nothing on it he could not manufacture. Phone number 715-255-8142.

Harry
Harry, thanks for your excellent help on this. I had already contacted Canvasreplacements.com (bob) and he called me the same quote. For the benefit of others here are the 3 quotes (this is for replacement canvas on a TrailsWest Campster)
canvasreplacements.com $415.......bearcreekcanvas.com $795.....RVworkshop.com $850
....I was a bit incredulous at the two $800-ish quotes. After all, there is only a couple yards of material in this - it's not a tent camper!!!!-- they must be running UAW wage scales or something.
I have one local source I am checking but doubt they will tackle it, so I am probably going with canvasreplacements.com , soon, to beat the rush. Thanks again Harry. --Darrell
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #14

Registry
I think if the quote includes zippered window flaps and screens like the original it probably takes a lot of labor. Some of the Compacts just have solid canvas, no windows. ($800 still sounds high- $400, well, it might be worth doing it myself or might not- the advantage of buying it is being able to take the old off and fit the new on on the same day instead of having to leave the trailer "naked" while I attempted to duplicate the canvas.

So far I'm just living with mine- it keeps bugs out, lets light in, and goes up and down. One zipper is stuck partway.
Bobbie
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #15

My quote included the windows, I wanted the zippered flap and screen, the 2 window option; They offered the three widow option, that is the zipper flap, screen and clear plastic window.

Mine is already in pieces, started sanding it today, probably down 3 months before I camp.

Harry
Old 03-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
I think if the quote includes zippered window flaps and screens like the original it probably takes a lot of labor. Some of the Compacts just have solid canvas, no windows. ($800 still sounds high- $400, well, it might be worth doing it myself or might not- the advantage of buying it is being able to take the old off and fit the new on on the same day instead of having to leave the trailer "naked" while I attempted to duplicate the canvas.

So far I'm just living with mine- it keeps bugs out, lets light in, and goes up and down. One zipper is stuck partway.
Bobbie
I'm certainly going to get clarification on exactly what the details are re windows/screens. I think I would want as close to the original as possible, price considered. Mine has (had) screens and flaps on 4 sides, and when it was intact it was very nice to have a 4 way view and options for ventilation. I really don't see the need for plastic (i.i. 3 way windows - scree/plastic/flap) and it would be a lot of material to fold down and store! Re the one day option - I dont think so! All the vendors want the old one for a pattern and the lead time is 30 days +
--Darrell
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
My quote included the windows, I wanted the zippered flap and screen, the 2 window option; They offered the three widow option, that is the zipper flap, screen and clear plastic window.

Mine is already in pieces, started sanding it today, probably down 3 months before I camp.

Harry
Well good luck on getting it all done in 3 months. I have asked Bob [at] Canvas Replacements for clarification on what/how many windows are included.
Have you any source re replacement weatherstripping for the 2 sliding windows on Campster (port and starboard). Mine is baked hard so the windows are inoperative.... --Darrell
Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I'm certainly going to get clarification on exactly what the details are re windows/screens. I think I would want as close to the original as possible, price considered. Mine has (had) screens and flaps on 4 sides, and when it was intact it was very nice to have a 4 way view and options for ventilation. I really don't see the need for plastic (i.i. 3 way windows - scree/plastic/flap) and it would be a lot of material to fold down and store! Re the one day option - I dont think so! All the vendors want the old one for a pattern and the lead time is 30 days +
--Darrell
We should check to see if they would give a bulk discount- how much if several of us wanted the same top made?

Bobbie
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #19

Quote:
We should check to see if they would give a bulk discount- how much if several of us wanted the same top made?

Bobbie
Maybe 3 now, I will ask if they would give quantity discount and what requirements would be.... darrell.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
So Larry, is Tijuana Tony still about? --Darrell
Darrel- this was a basic top w/no windows, etc... I'll PM ya to keep from hijacking the thread. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster