Portable AC in 13 ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Portable AC in 13 ft Scamp

I will be attempting to use a portable AC unit in our 13 ft Scamp soon. We have the front bathroom so I think I can vent the pipe to the small window. Anyone else tried this trick?
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep they have. Remember too, A/Cs release water from the air through a drain hose/hole... how are you going to deal with that?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep they have. Remember too, A/Cs release water from the air through a drain hose/hole... how are you going to deal with that?
Drill a hole in the floor?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I assume there is a drain already in the bathroom?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Most portables have a container much like a dehumidifier has, which must be emptied by hand.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

I've always thought of getting the portable so I could transfer it to the camper when needed but never got around to it. They offer many brands now. The one I was reading about has the hose, like a dryer hose, and it says that it has a tank to catch the condensation but that some evaporates with the heat out the hose and if the humidity is high, the unit will shut off if the tank becomes full. I have never known anyone that owned one but I do see if a they get a couple at Wal-Mart here, they use sell pretty quick although they are much more expensive than a window unit and some also heat.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

The one I have will cut off when the holding tank is full of water. I plan on rolling it to the door, attaching a hose and letting it go! I also thought of placing a hose on it all the time and attaching it to a HVAV pump and letting it pump into the toilet. Too much trouble though as the hose would have to be moved when using the toilet. When I hook it up I will attach a picture. ALSO, I placed a small platform in front of the rear bed/table so my small kids can sleep on it with their feet under the bed. It will work for a while but I am sure a 16 footer is in my future.
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
My wife got one of these one hose portable air conditioners, I made a vent hole for one of the windows and last summer when it got hot tried it out, It did cool the trailer somewhat, blows a lot of hot air out of the trailer BUT air in trailer must be replaced, so it pulls a lot of Hot outside air INTO trailer,actually made negative pressure, never had a problem with condensation drain, just dont think it worked very well. seemed like I was trying to cool air inside and outside air.... think they make 2 hose models which work much like a window unit, where inside air doesnt cool the unit, but the cool room air gets recirculated..
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Tried portable AC

A few years ago, I bought a portable air conditioner in a 13 foot scamp. It did not work well. It was a waste of money. Just didn't cool well enough. Dropped it fifteen degrees, not enough for Virginia in the summer.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp