Portable AC? Rarely used...furnace vent area? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Hello!

I saw the Target model Haier the other day. I loathe AC, but, my husband really enjoys it.

Could I take out the furnace and just park it in that space sideways? It looks at though it would fit...can you use an AC when it's on it's side?

I don't want to take out a window. I really don't want to cut another hole in the Lovebug.

Ideas welcome! Thanks in advance!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Sideways I don't think so. It is likely that the refrigerant won't flow properly. The do make AC units for casement windows though they are more expensive and get high enough in price that you might as well consider a rooftop RV unit. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3387594

If you decide to go with a traditional low cost unit you can run the unit completely inside BUT you will have to create an air tight box to encase the outside part of the unit and connect a dryer type hose to the outside. It is not as big of a hole as an entire AC unit but it is another hole. You will also need a watertight tray with a drain to the outside to collect the condensate.

Is it possible? Sure many will atest and tell you their stories but you need to balance what you want with the amount of time and effort to make it happen.
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
Sideways I don't think so. It is likely that the refrigerant won't flow properly. The do make AC units for casement windows though they are more expensive and get high enough in price that you might as well consider a rooftop RV unit.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3387594

If you decide to go with a traditional low cost unit you can run the unit completely inside BUT you will have to create an air tight box to encase the outside part of the unit and connect a dryer type hose to the outside. It is not as big of a hole as an entire AC unit but it is another hole. You will also need a watertight tray with a drain to the outside to collect the condensate.

Is it possible? Sure many will atest and tell you their stories but you need to balance what you want with the amount of time and effort to make it happen.
Rob, thanks for the input. No to the sideways use of a portable AC. I figured as much, but, hey, it never hurts to ask.

I appreciate the input and will check into some of the mods people have done.

There is a portable AC unit made now that you don't mount into a window. I saw it. The price was $400, a bit steep considering I'll use the unit a couple of times a year.

I'll keep looking. Other comments?

Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Get a new husband?

Going off to my room now
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace