Portable generator--Is it worth the pain? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Portable generator--Is it worth the pain?

Thinking about portable generator for Burro 17'. Space not a problem as can be lashed in the loo BUT--what wattage is enuf? Gas or propane? Are there quiet ones? Want to feed AC to lights, TV, small fan, capability to supply small (7-800 watt) microwave; assume air conditioner is a hopeless proposition with the watt rating I can afford and afford to haul. All experience with minimal rig appreciated. TIA

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #2

Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
A lot of people like the honda super quiet generators, small and light:
Honda Super Quiet Generators

The Honda's EU Series generators operate at 49 to 59 dBA - and 60 decibels is about the level of normal human speech.

The 1000i is
  • Lightweight (less than 29 lbs. !!)
  • Eco-Throttle - runs up to 8.3 hr on 0.6 gal. of fuel
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Here's a view of the other end of the price spectrum.

This generator is often on sale for less than $100. Read the reviews to see users experience. We've had one for four years with no issues. Honda's make great engines, we drive one but for an infrequently used generator you can't beat the price of this one.

800 Rated Watts/900 Max Watts Portable Generator
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Harbor Freight has a 800W run - 900W Start for $89 when on sale. Will power your lights, fan but not the Air Conditioner. No DC output.

Sam's Club has a Camping Champion 2000W for less than $500.

Onan / Cummings has a 3000W Inverter model that I purchased through COSTCO when they had a sale on it and it was around $1500. As quiet as the Honda, electric start and it has a Robin (Subaru) motor. (Has a DC output for charging a battery) This unit has a wheel kit attached and it powers the Air Conditioner very well.

Yamaha has very good units $$$.
The Hondas are the most popular by far and $$$.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That's got to be more Chinese junk.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Greg, There's not one American name in any of the units above.
Onan use to be American (I Think). Black&Decker makes a unit however I would not bet it is US either.

Does anyone make a generator in the US?
Lincoln Welders use to be US and now I see them made in other countries.

Have you noticed this: The country of manufacture is in very small print somewhere on the box and no longer on the item inside. I think I remember Crapsman tools saying USA on them but no longer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Even my Generac has a Chinese engine. No I don't think there are any American manufacturers, Onan owned by Cummins Diesel out sourced to China. Honda and Yamaha are Japanese and as much as I hate to say are very reliable, If the price was justifiable compared to wattage on the Honda I would consider one of those. Generac has a small generator compareable to the Honda for about half the price but it has a Chinese engine.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #8

Florida
Jack,
Mine is like the Coleman version, with a 12 volt output. I've seen this generator at Walmarts, Pep Boys and other places with different labels. Here's the Coleman version.

Walmart.com: Coleman 1000 Watt Gasoline Portable Generator: Tools

If I wanted a long life generator and had the money I'd go for a Honda. If I wanted a minimal generator that does the job (not to run AC) I'd go for one of these small Chinese generators. If you read the reviews on the Harbor freight sight you'll see that most people are very happy with their purchase. Reviews and price convinced me. I will say we rarely travel with a generator, only if we're going far from the grid. Our generator is used every winter by some friend or relative during power outages. A variety of people have used it with out issue. It's been a great backup.

Norm
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have had a Kipor 2000w, Champion 3600w, and presently a Yamaha 2000 and by far the Yamaha is the best of the 3, it is quieter and more powerful than the 3600. Spend the extra $$$ and get quality, they come with a 3 year guarantee and there are local dealers all over. Try to find a dealer for one of the chinese units, good luck
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #10

Florida
I agree that if Jack is going to be a big generator user, get the Yamaha or Honda. If he's a casual user, get something small and inexpensive.

First I'm not a big generator user. Second, I haven't needed a dealer in four years. Third, the cost of a cheap generator, $129, might be less than a dealer repair.

If I was considering spending a lot for a generator, I'd rather get a solar setup. For my casual use the best solution is a Solar Panel, Inverter and battery, that setup meets all my low end needs with ease, costs no more than a noisey generator and bothers no one.

It comes down to need and choice.

Norm
Old 06-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Honda and Yamaha are the best generators you can buy. They are equal in quality and durability.
Honda has many more service centers than Yamaha. I've had a 1000i and 2000i for many years and have never had a problem.
Hondas are like Eggs. Hang on to them a few years and you can sell them for almost what you paid for them.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Thinking about portable generator for Burro 17'. Space not a problem as can be lashed in the loo BUT--what wattage is enuf? Gas or propane? Are there quiet ones? Want to feed AC to lights, TV, small fan, capability to supply small (7-800 watt) microwave; assume air conditioner is a hopeless proposition with the watt rating I can afford and afford to haul. All experience with minimal rig appreciated. TIA

jack

Might I suggest that don't use the micro-wave unless plugged in and get solar to keep your battery charged. Solar is cheaper than a generator and doesn't cost anything to run. With a little care you can keep a battery well charged forever.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Might I suggest that don't use the micro-wave unless plugged in and get solar to keep your battery charged. Solar is cheaper than a generator and doesn't cost anything to run. With a little care you can keep a battery well charged forever.
I've got to agree with Byron on this. On our trips to Quartzsite (in January and February), we don't use the Microwave or the A/C. We do have an inverter on a separate battery for the TV/VCR, but have found we don't have time for that; there is too much to go and do and see. We could stay indefinitely on one Group 27 battery and 45 watts of solar with all lighting on LEDs and CCFLs. We can use the water pump AND the heater blower as much as we want. As a once every 30 to 60 days traveler, it's all we need.

However, I have witnessed a Honda eu2000i running on Propane, and I really like that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EU2000-Cylinder.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	36595
If I were considering full-timing, I'd get one of these.
  • It is even quieter than the gasoline version.
  • You don't need to lug around a smelly gasoline can; use fuel you already carry.
  • No worries about adding stabilizers to today's blended gas.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I've got to agree with Byron on this. On our trips to Quartzsite (in January and February), we don't use the Microwave or the A/C. We do have an inverter on a separate battery for the TV/VCR, but have found we don't have time for that; there is too much to go and do and see. We could stay indefinitely on one Group 27 battery and 45 watts of solar with all lighting on LEDs and CCFLs. We can use the water pump AND the heater blower as much as we want. As a once every 30 to 60 days traveler, it's all we need.

However, I have witnessed a Honda eu2000i running on Propane, and I really like that.
Attachment 36595
If I were considering full-timing, I'd get one of these.
  • It is even quieter than the gasoline version.
  • You don't need to lug around a smelly gasoline can; use fuel you already carry.
  • No worries about adding stabilizers to today's blended gas.
Frederick,
We were out for 97 days earlier this year. The solar panel did just fine, no generator wanted or needed.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #15

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Honda and Yamaha are the best generators you can buy. They are equal in quality and durability.
Honda has many more service centers than Yamaha. I've had a 1000i and 2000i for many years and have never had a problem.
Hondas are like Eggs. Hang on to them a few years and you can sell them for almost what you paid for them.
I should have added, I haven't used my generators in almost a year.
I installed on 50w panel on the roof of my Scamp and changed all my lighting to LEds.
Last September I was in Montana, Wyoming and Utah so I was running my furnace almost every night.
My group 27 deep cycle battery and solar panel never let me down.
I have less than $225.00 invested in my solar system and LEDS not including my battery.
Much cheaper than a generator.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote