Portable Propane Heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Bob, Scam? It's Crazy. You can buy the Coleman BlackCat 3,000 BTU at Walmart for $48.86 and the Sportcat 1,500 BTU for $34.22. They last as long as the BTU demand. Amount of heat produced is relative to the BTU.

Yep, I bought the SportCat we use at WalMart for less han $40.
BTW: The ultimate morning thrill is to put your tube sock covered foot on top of a hot SportCat just enough to melt the sock, but not enough to burn the wearer. Been there, done that.....

I see that the latest model can't be shipped into California, what's with that?????

Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Has anyone tried to operate their buddy with a long propane hose through an open window and put a large propane tank outside their rig. Sure would save the cost of a 1 pound tank which can be expensive if used on a daily basis. There is a 10 foot hose which Mr. Buddy supplies, but may not be long enough, so would have to look elsewhere for a longer one. Comments, please, and also is condensation a problem, even with a window or two open.
We're prolly a little odd here in that we've never put the 20lb tank back on Li'l Scamp after removing it to clean and paint the tongue. We cook outside and tend to make one pot meals on a single burner or a REALLY old Coleman 2-burner if we're being more adventuresome in the cooking. Don't use the Suburban heater even with shore power cuz it's so dang noisy...Mr. Buddy just hummmmms along quietly and our little cube heater does a bang-up job when power is available.

Haven't been (yet) where we needed to use the Mr. Buddy nightly so the 1 pounders have been fine, we usually pick them up on sale and recycle them at the camp ground (my late husband had a set-up where he refilled them himself...not that I'm advocating you do that). If you have a propane and propane accessories store (sorry Hank Hill) they might carry what you need and make sure it's safe for your intended use.

Talking with the Mr., we think there may have been some condensation on the windows, but not an over all feeling of dampness in the rig. In fact I recall one rainy night that we turned it ON to get rid of the damp feel inside.

We may have to consider something else when we do make our trip out West.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Over the holidays Menard's had the Mr. Buddy heaters for about $75 and they came with the carry bag. Wish I'd see that sooner. They might have some left.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 foot Scamp
Thanks everyone. I am heading down to Walmart now and will look at the Coleman Sport Cat. I have a truck and will just thrown in my boat deep cycle trolling battery as a spare.

We will use the Sport Cat while we are awake then switch on the furnace to a low setting at night to keep the chill off. Neither heat source will be needed during the daytime. We are just staying there three nights so we should be OK.

Biggest worrying is now the roads.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Jake
Trailer: 2011 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Registry
Catalytic Heaters

I apologize if I am butting in. I am a newish egg owner (Snooozy) and am still sorting out options. So far, my heating needs have all been met with "shore power" and a cube heater, but I foresee the day I will be dry camping and needing heat. I have looked at the Coleman products, but am most intrigued by the Camco Olympian Wave units, for wall mounting ability and apparently low propane usage. They are pricey, but maybe worth considering for many rv use patterns. Here is a link for the unit on Amazon. Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3 3000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod P View Post
Thanks everyone. I am heading down to Walmart now and will look at the Coleman Sport Cat. I have a truck and will just thrown in my boat deep cycle trolling battery as a spare.

We will use the Sport Cat while we are awake then switch on the furnace to a low setting at night to keep the chill off. Neither heat source will be needed during the daytime. We are just staying there three nights so we should be OK.

Biggest worrying is now the roads.
No need to worry about CO with the catalytic style heaters, as they convert the propane to heat and water vapor, but they do use oxygen in the process, thus that is why they want an air source (partially open window) when in use. We crack open a window near the heater and a roof vent to allow most of the moisture (water vapor) out.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
No need to worry about CO with the catalytic style heaters, as they convert the propane to heat and water vapor, but they do use oxygen in the process, thus that is why they want an air source (partially open window) when in use. We crack open a window near the heater and a roof vent to allow most of the moisture (water vapor) out.
I used to believe that as well, but it turns out that even catalytic heaters produce CO when the O2 gets low. I wonder if this also applies at altitude?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I used to believe that as well, but it turns out that even catalytic heaters produce CO when the O2 gets low. I wonder if this also applies at altitude?
Good question David and I was wondering the same. My understanding is that the reason the Mr. Buddy heater doesnt work above 7500' is that it has a built in low oxygen sensor shut off. Which one can only assume is a safety feature. Wonder why the others such as Coleman Blackcat dont have the same? Whats the difference in modes of operation between the types?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I'm not a chemist by any stretch, but combustion occurs in the presence of oxygen. When oxygen is ample, the process produces carbon dioxide. When it's less than ample, combustion continues, but produces carbon monoxide. There is less oxygen in the air at altitude, hence the higher likelihood of producing carbon monoxide.

Because they're flameless, catalytic heaters do do produce as much CO as other heaters, but there is some. It is possible, especially if the heating element has been damaged or heated unevenly, that the heater could produce a larger amount.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Has anyone tried to operate their buddy with a long propane hose through an open window and put a large propane tank outside their rig. Sure would save the cost of a 1 pound tank which can be expensive if used on a daily basis. There is a 10 foot hose which Mr. Buddy supplies, but may not be long enough, so would have to look elsewhere for a longer one. Comments, please, and also is condensation a problem, even with a window or two open.
I do just that in my 1972 13 ft Boler. The ill-fitting door has a finger width gap at the bottom. 20lb bottle sits outside with a 15 ft hose running in at the bottom of the door. I crack open the roof vent an inch or so when running the heater and I can feel a little breeze infiltrating at the bottom of the door so I know I am getting air exchange. I was a little paranoid at first about CO2 but still alive enough to type this message.

I camp at about 4800 ft and use the heater (Portable Buddy) when the outside temp will be around freezing or lower. Always get condensation on the windows. Bedding that touches the walls occasionally feel a little damp in the morning but I wouldn't say it's a problem. I use the heater on the low setting and the inside temp at counter level is about 15C.

I also installed the propane filter at the heater which the Mr. Heater company recommends. Found one on sale for about $8.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Are we really going to have this "magical catalytic heater" discussion again?

While most of santacruzer's explanation is sound and helpful, I do not believe there is any basis for this commonly held belief:
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Because they're flameless, catalytic heaters do do produce as much CO as other heaters...
... which I assume was intended to say "Because they're flameless, catalytic heaters do not produce as much CO as other heaters..." My apologies if my assumption is incorrect.

As I posted in a discussion late last year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The products of propane combustion in any appliance (catalytic or not) are ideally only carbon dioxide and water; however, the products of any real combustion process include some carbon monoxide and unburned propane - whether combustion is assisted by a catalyst or not. Any unvented appliance burning a hydrocarbon fuel (such as propane) is a toxic gas hazard and so requires adequate ventilation and must be attended, as the operating instructions will clearly state... those precautions are not just for oxygen depletion.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission studied this in instrumented tests, and showed that catalytic heaters are not substantially different from other heaters in their formation of carbon monoxide:
CO EMISSIONS FROM A PORTABLE PROPANE CATALYTIC HEATER

Edit note: Thanks to David for spotting the dead link and supplying the current location, provided after the quote.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Brian,

You always have to spoil everything.

baglo
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Ah yes nothing like some facts to ruin a party. Brian, I tried your link, but it did not find the article. I did a bit of digging and came up with this, from the same site.
http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/112559/co03.pdf
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Brian,

You always have to spoil everything.

baglo
My mission in life!

That, and getting through a discussion in FiberglassRV involving any technology without finding a blatantly false statement presented as fact... but I've given up on that one.

Now it's late, so turn off those unvented propane heaters and sleep well... and safely

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane