Portable Propane Heater - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #61

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP View Post
Looking at my Portable Buddy where the bottle or hose connects to, it connects directly to the built-in regulator - the grey aluminum thingy (tech term) which is very visible. I would not advise removing this just so you can supply pre-regulated gas pressure.
I agree!

In addition, without reading the specifications on this regulator, I don't know that pressure it puts out. With the regulator removed, the appliance may not be compatible with the standard "low pressure" RV supply. I have a propane torch which uses a bulk tank and regulator, and the regulator supplies 25 psi - far higher than the RV supply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #62
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Brian - very good point about running a high pressure line into an enclosed space. Although I am anal about frequently checking high and low pressure gas fittings with soapy water and only using a new hose, that exact issue still gnaws at me. Could you imagine what 20lbs of LPG would do to a Boler and anything in and around it, if ignited. OMG. Thanks for posting your comment - rethinking my heat requirements is in order.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #63

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
FYI:

Olympian Catalytic heaters can be hard-plumbed into the (regulated) trailer gas system, and the same is true for some Mr. Heater models.

According to the instructions at the following link, the use of this Blue Flame heater in trailers is prohibited.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #64
RLP

British Columbia
I had first considered the Olympian model but later discovered they are not available in Canada and can't be brought into Canada, legally anyway, thanks to our Big Brother constantly looking over us (don't get me started on that topic). I do agree, the Olympian models are better suited for RV's as they require low pressure LPG. Many other postings on this site about the Olympian models.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #65
jmh

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Rick, I live in Alberta and purchased a Wave-3 from Amazon.com a few weeks ago. It arrived without any problems and was the cheapest place I found. However they would not ship the 12' hose or 90 degree elbow. Those I purchased elsewhere RV Furnaces & Catalytic Space Heaters at Trailer Parts Superstore and they should arrive tomorrow. They currently have the 12' hose and legs on sale, so even though they use UPS , the savings would offset the brokerage fee.
jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #66
RLP

British Columbia
JMH - I stand corrected and good to know. Yes, Amazon's price is much less than I've seen elsewhere. Curious, what did the shipping, brokerage fees and tax run you? Thanks for the post
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #67

Registry
It should be noted that if permanent install is intended, rubber hoses of the type typically used for outdoor/camp appliances aren't approved for that use. Only gas lines/fittings designed for permanent installation should be used if connecting permanently to the interior trailer gas supply.

That having been said:

My choice of a permanently plumbed unit has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with convenience. I just don't want to fool with the hose etc. every time I want to use the heater.

But if all I had was a paid-for Buddy, I certainly wouldn't discard/abandon it for that reason!

I wouldn't have the smallest concern about running a Buddy Heater by way of an each-time-connected hose from the exterior tank into the trailer, and according to the manufacturer's instructions. The heater maker sought and received CSA certification for the uses described in the operating instructions, and I for one would have no qualms about trusting the instructions/permissions contained therein. Rubber hoses are on again/off again portable items, and since they're inspected and connection checked each time they're hooked up I think there is no safety issue related to this specific use and/or in addition to those already affecting ANY inside-approved exposed-combustion heater.

Francesca
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #68
jmh

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Here are the items I ordered from the Trailer Parts Supertore. The shipping
supposedly includes all fees/tax/brokereage fee and according to their web site there should be no additional charges upon delivery, I'll let you know if that turns out not to be true. I don't like UPS/FedEx because of the brokerage fees but because this was the best price and only place that would ship these items to Canada, and I was tired of looking, I went with it. BTW, Amazon charged a total of $274.64 for the Wave-3 plus the leg stands and shipping.

Low Pressure Regulator & Hose (12') #57721 16095721 $24.95
90° Swivel Elbow Connector #57633 16095701 $11.77
Subtotal $36.72
Shipping & Handling $35.87
Grand Total $72.59
jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
According to the instructions at the following link, the use of this Blue Flame heater in trailers is prohibited.
Interesting link. The relevant actual text in that document is as follows:
Quote:
Unvented room heaters are for installation in SINGLE FAMILY TYPE DETACHED RESIDENCES ONLY, and the installation is limited to ONE (1) unit per residence. Unvented room heaters are only to be used as supplementary heat and NOT AS PRINCIPAL SOURCE OF HEAT for the room in which the unit is installed.

Unvented room heaters are for installation in rooms having space which shall limit the appliance input to a maximum of "20 BTUH" per cubic foot of room space. Unvented room heaters are NOT TO BE USED IN BEDROOMS, MOBILE HOMES, TRAILERS AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES.
EXCEPTION: If local codes permit, models 0656542.9 and 0656541.9 may be used in a bathroom, bedroom or mobile home. Models 1056511.9, 1056512.9, 1056541.9 and 1056542.9 may be used in a bedroom or mobile home (check local codes prior to installation).
In the Canadian provinces of British Columbia and Manitoba, unvented heaters shall be limited to those having INPUT RATINGS OF UP TO 25,000 BTU PER HOUR MAXIMUM.

Unvented room heaters are NOT FOR COMMERCIAL OR INDUSTRIAL USE
It says nothing specifically about "blue flame" (non-catalytic) heaters, and so if it is applied more generally than to this specific brand then it would apply equally to catalytic units, such as a Wave. According to this, no unvented heater can be the principal heat source (that is, used instead of having a furnace). As Francesca said, they can't be used in RVs at all. Since this all appears to be references by Williams Furnace Co. to standards or regulations which are not cited, I have no idea if it is correct or to what it truly applies.

It seems reasonable to assume that "20 BTUH" in the quoted material is a typographical error, and should be "20 BTU/H" (twenty British Thermal Units per hour). At that rate, a heater for a 10'x6'x6' room (roughly 13 ft egg sized) should have an output of no more than 7200 BTU/hr.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #70

Registry
In case there's any confusion:

The link I posted entitled " Blue Flame Heater" contains information pertinent only to the Blue Flame Heater brand unvented gas heater, nor is there anything in the instructions indicating that the makers of the Blue Flame Heater (brand) presume/attempt to advise consumers as to approved uses of any other brand(s)/types.

I encourage folks interested in other brands/types to consult instructions/cautions specific to those brands.

The manual for the Blue Flame (brand) unvented gas heater specifically states that it is not to be used in trailers- here quoting from the manual linked to above:

Quote:
Unvented room heaters are NOT
TO BE USED IN BEDROOMS, MOBILE HOMES, TRAILERS
AND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES.
Francesca
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
In case there's any confusion:

The link I posted entitled " Blue Flame Heater" contains information pertinent only to the Blue Flame Heater brand unvented gas heater...
Okay, I get that. Since "blue flame" is a generic term for gas-burning non-catalytic appliances, the reference in the earlier post looked like it might be a general comment about this type of heater. I understand that it was intended as an example of how each heater has an associated manual with operating rules.

In the specific case of these Williams heaters: as I mentioned (but didn't explain well) above, the limitation seems to be related to heat output. All but the smallest model from this company is too large for rooms the size of a trailer, and the two smallest sizes are listed as exceptions for some rooms and mobile homes; RVs seem to be assumed to be too small for even the smallest (which has twice the output of a Coleman portable).

Tags
propane