Portable Propane Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Portable Propane Heater

We are making a large trip west in mid May and staying in Yellowstone for 3 days on the way. Our Scamp is fully equipped including a propane furnace but in May it is going to be cold. My concern is running down the single trailer battery to run the furnace blower. We really don't want to camp in Fishing Bridge because of cost of a full service RV park when we only need electric at the most. I don't have a generator and typically charge the battery from the truck when traveling, which won't help in this case.

Has anyone used a Portable Propane Heater such as the Mr. Heater Buddy? It costs about $80 and heats up to 200 sq feet. They are for use in campers, etc. and have low oxygen and tip-over shutoffs. It runs on a 1 or 20 pound propane tank.

It would seem like a perfect solution for a few days use in the evening and at night. I would leave a window cracked open but worried about becoming a statistic.

Worse case we could stay at Fishing Bridge...

Thanks in advance.
Rod P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

I searched some more in this forum and found the Mr Heaters don't work above 6000 ft. So I will keep searching for a different type of heater.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Mr. Buddy Heater

Lov it!!!

We bought one for our 16' Li'l Scamp for those colder nights when we have no shore power.

Being just a tad paranoid about CO, we crack the bathroom and kitchen windows and raise the vent just a smidge for air circulation. Since we have a Maxx Air cover we can do this even in wet weather.

And, since we prefer a slightly cooler sleeping temp we set it at the lowest setting and it will run all night if we need it.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Yellowstone in mid May. wow. wonder if all the roads will be open.

I would be sure to have electric site and use an electric cube heater. Pack warm clothes.

We bought a Mr Buddy but haven't used it much. Never burned off the new smell. The guys who use it for ice fishing have tons of condensation dripping on them. We really prefer the elect cube heater. If we can't get electricity in the cold we pile on the blankets and fire up the stovetop for hot water. stove quickly warms the trailer. then shut it off and go to sleep.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I believe almost all of he Catalytic heaters shut down above about 7000 feet as the O2 sensors on them think the room is about out of oxygen The average Altitude at Yellowstone is 7400' per the NPS.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a 6 FT x 8 FT deer hunting stand with an 8 ft high ceiling and 3 casement windows . My Mr Buddy heater runs about 6 hours on low flame with a 1 lb disposable propane tank and keeps my deer stand comfortable. even at -10 DEG F . I've had some condensation but not really a problem
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

I think we might drive into West Yellowstone and stay at a RV park rather than deal with the cold for three days. Found a park named Hideway RV park for $32 a night.

I was in Yellowstone in August last year. The park service says most of the roads should be open by May 22, so we are crossing our fingers.

Thanks for all of your responses.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod P View Post
I searched some more in this forum and found the Mr Heaters don't work above 6000 ft. So I will keep searching for a different type of heater.
Rod, we have a 13' Scamp and dry camp a lot above 6000 ft. We were disappointed when our Mr Heater didn't work at altitude. We purchased a Coleman Black Cat that runs on a 1 pound disposable propane tank and did operate at 10,000 ft (32 degrees) last summer in Colorado, but it was way to hot for the Scamp. We now purchased a Coleman Sport Cat that runs on the same propane tank, but lasts twice as long (16 hrs) because it puts out less heat, but perfect for us.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
You might want to check out the West Yellowstone KOA. We were there in 2003 and it was really nice. Also no bear worries there.

By the way it was 4th of July week and 90 during the day but ice on the table in the morning. Cube heater worked just fine.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would think the cheapest way to insure heat for 3 days, don't use the Scamp lights, and get a second battery. I've gone for 4 days in some pretty cool weather. But the second battery is a bit extra insurance and not as expensive as other options.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #11

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have used the Mr Heater Buddy in the winter in the mountains of SW VA And West VA. It works great! Keep a window cracked. Gives off a lot of heat in a small trailer. It will go all night on Low, never needed it on high. I am hearing for the first time that it won't work above 6,000 feet. I have used it at just under 6,000 feet.
Also just bought a used Coleman Sport Cat really cheap off of Craigs List to try out
because it supposed to last longer on a tank. As stated above it is low BTU. not much heat. But Sounds like fun and I hope the roads are open for you!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #12

Coleman Heater on Ebay
Considering that they usually sell for well under $90, what's with this offering on eBay, but they do offer free shipping, but take only PayPal...
New SEALED Coleman Blackcat Perfectemp Catalytic Portable Propane Heater | eBay

Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Bob, Scam? It's Crazy. You can buy the Coleman BlackCat 3,000 BTU at Walmart for $48.86 and the Sportcat 1,500 BTU for $34.22. They last as long as the BTU demand. Amount of heat produced is relative to the BTU.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Has anyone tried to operate their buddy with a long propane hose through an open window and put a large propane tank outside their rig. Sure would save the cost of a 1 pound tank which can be expensive if used on a daily basis. There is a 10 foot hose which Mr. Buddy supplies, but may not be long enough, so would have to look elsewhere for a longer one. Comments, please, and also is condensation a problem, even with a window or two open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Lov it!!!

We bought one for our 16' Li'l Scamp for those colder nights when we have no shore power.

Being just a tad paranoid about CO, we crack the bathroom and kitchen windows and raise the vent just a smidge for air circulation. Since we have a Maxx Air cover we can do this even in wet weather.

And, since we prefer a slightly cooler sleeping temp we set it at the lowest setting and it will run all night if we need it.

Josie
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Bob, Scam? It's Crazy. You can buy the Coleman BlackCat 3,000 BTU at Walmart for $48.86 and the Sportcat 1,500 BTU for $34.22. They last as long as the BTU demand. Amount of heat produced is relative to the BTU.

Yep, I bought the SportCat we use at WalMart for less han $40.
BTW: The ultimate morning thrill is to put your tube sock covered foot on top of a hot SportCat just enough to melt the sock, but not enough to burn the wearer. Been there, done that.....

I see that the latest model can't be shipped into California, what's with that?????

Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #16

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Has anyone tried to operate their buddy with a long propane hose through an open window and put a large propane tank outside their rig. Sure would save the cost of a 1 pound tank which can be expensive if used on a daily basis. There is a 10 foot hose which Mr. Buddy supplies, but may not be long enough, so would have to look elsewhere for a longer one. Comments, please, and also is condensation a problem, even with a window or two open.
We're prolly a little odd here in that we've never put the 20lb tank back on Li'l Scamp after removing it to clean and paint the tongue. We cook outside and tend to make one pot meals on a single burner or a REALLY old Coleman 2-burner if we're being more adventuresome in the cooking. Don't use the Suburban heater even with shore power cuz it's so dang noisy...Mr. Buddy just hummmmms along quietly and our little cube heater does a bang-up job when power is available.

Haven't been (yet) where we needed to use the Mr. Buddy nightly so the 1 pounders have been fine, we usually pick them up on sale and recycle them at the camp ground (my late husband had a set-up where he refilled them himself...not that I'm advocating you do that). If you have a propane and propane accessories store (sorry Hank Hill) they might carry what you need and make sure it's safe for your intended use.

Talking with the Mr., we think there may have been some condensation on the windows, but not an over all feeling of dampness in the rig. In fact I recall one rainy night that we turned it ON to get rid of the damp feel inside.

We may have to consider something else when we do make our trip out West.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Over the holidays Menard's had the Mr. Buddy heaters for about $75 and they came with the carry bag. Wish I'd see that sooner. They might have some left.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #18

Thanks everyone. I am heading down to Walmart now and will look at the Coleman Sport Cat. I have a truck and will just thrown in my boat deep cycle trolling battery as a spare.

We will use the Sport Cat while we are awake then switch on the furnace to a low setting at night to keep the chill off. Neither heat source will be needed during the daytime. We are just staying there three nights so we should be OK.

Biggest worrying is now the roads.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #19

Name: Jake
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
South Carolina
Registry
Catalytic Heaters

I apologize if I am butting in. I am a newish egg owner (Snooozy) and am still sorting out options. So far, my heating needs have all been met with "shore power" and a cube heater, but I foresee the day I will be dry camping and needing heat. I have looked at the Coleman products, but am most intrigued by the Camco Olympian Wave units, for wall mounting ability and apparently low propane usage. They are pricey, but maybe worth considering for many rv use patterns. Here is a link for the unit on Amazon. Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3 3000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive
earlejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod P View Post
Thanks everyone. I am heading down to Walmart now and will look at the Coleman Sport Cat. I have a truck and will just thrown in my boat deep cycle trolling battery as a spare.

We will use the Sport Cat while we are awake then switch on the furnace to a low setting at night to keep the chill off. Neither heat source will be needed during the daytime. We are just staying there three nights so we should be OK.

Biggest worrying is now the roads.
No need to worry about CO with the catalytic style heaters, as they convert the propane to heat and water vapor, but they do use oxygen in the process, thus that is why they want an air source (partially open window) when in use. We crack open a window near the heater and a roof vent to allow most of the moisture (water vapor) out.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane