Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F. View Post
Hi alan,
What kind of camper?
Bill
Alan's profile says he's ordered a Lil Snoozy.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr; 1972 Astro (Havasu?)
Washington
I purchased a Zodi 10 years ago ($60) and used it for tent camping. I like it a lot. I am converting it to be plumbed into the trailer's water system.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Solar Shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F. View Post
Hi alan,
What kind of camper? maybe I could find one locally and have a look. I already looked at Garland site but found only commercial kitchen equipment. Maybe there are two different companies.

Bill
Just a thought, consider solar showers. They are small, very, very cheap, and a 2.5 gallon one will shower two. Mine is:

Amazon.com: Super Solar Shower: Sports & Outdoors

Drawback is that one must leave it in the sun for a few hours to heat up, or heat water upon the stove and add to it if it is cloudy. I suppose one could use it inside one's RV shower. For twenty bucks or so it does work.

I have had it now for a couple years and even showered in a little gully while parked at Quartzite.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Alan's profile says he's ordered a Lil Snoozy.
Thank you Donna. Never thought of looking at Alan's profile. Now I,m wondering if a Lil Snoozy is a distant cousin of the L'il Bigfoot I used to have.
Bill
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hmm, I wonder if Alan's complete last name is Smoakin?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
I also looked for a Garland instant water heater (and tankless, and on demand... a variety of key words, with or without camping, rv, portable, etc.) and got no results (other than Garland TX plumbers) on google, bing,and yahoo.
I've used a number of brands of tankless heaters, electric and gas, and am familiar with a lot of brands.
Perhaps a misspelling?
Always interested in seeing something new.
Sherry
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
I am so sory I spelled it wrong. It is made by Girard Products LLC. So for that
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden
Robert Johans: outside shower for 13' very good design just click link below 9th post on first page
Water heater for a 13' Scamp placement with outside shower. You could ask Robert Johans for some inside shots?
Just a quick post about my on-board water heater... I never travel with the tank full of water. It is always drained before hitting the road. That water weight is not an issue for me.

My set-up is unique. As I've mentioned before, I found my Scamp with a small air conditioner crudely installed into it's side. For my purposes, a water heater seemed to be a more useful alternative. I will, however, seriously consider tankless options on future projects.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
[QUOTE=John Hussey;233161]Just a thought, consider solar showers. They are small, very, very cheap, and a 2.5 gallon one will shower two. Mine is:

If we camped only in warm weather I might consider one of these, but we camp a lot in cooler weather of spring, fall, and winter(Texas).
Bill
Old 01-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #24

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
I got all excited about a tankless water heater at first, but it doesn't make much sense to me unless we are talking about using the Eccotemp outside. I thought about trying to build some sort of rig to mount the unit outside to feed the water back inside, but that would mean poking holes in the fiberglass, having to go outside to turn the knobs, plus possibly melting the trailer's hull with the intense heat that exhausts from the top.

There are two actually made for RV installation, and the cheapest is the Girard, at $700. I can't see how it would be worth it. It's the same size as a 6 gal heater, costs way more, and doesn't really buy you that much more hot water for a shower, unless you are fully hooked up at a facility, because you are not going to be carrying around enough water for long showers. In my case, the grey water capacity restricts this even more.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: 74 Boler
British Columbia
Thanks for all the replies. It's always good to hear different ideas and really good to hear of someone who has been using one like I bought for ten years, thanks Dave!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #26

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
just a note.. the solar showers WILL get hot in near freezing temps, if in the right area. I actually use several of them as water bladders. At 5 gallons, they are easier for me to carry, much cheaper then a "Made to carry water" bladder and do just as good a job.

I fill them and my "spares" sit in back of the trailer, outside. If I happen to set them so the clear side is out.. they heat up. The sun hits them and they do get hot, even if it is only 35 degrees outside or so.

I don't use the shower function, and the hot water is just a cute side effect.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
We bought a Coleman Hot Water On Demand unit last summer. We just had a chance to use it in sub-freezing temps and it worked well. I don't recommend leaving it out overnight. There was just enough water in the pimp that it froze and wouldn't prime until it thawed out inside for a while.

Other than that, it performed flawlessly. We did not use it for showers, as the campground had very nice private showers available. However, we will be buying a shower enclosure some time this year, I'm sure.

My biggest comment is that the vinyl tubing gets too stiff in cold weather. I might try to find some Tygon or other tubing that stays more flexible. The optional shower head has too short of a hose, anyway.

We mainly used the hot water system for washing dishes on this trip.