Portable propane shower - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 71 Boler
Portable propane shower

Has anyone tried any of the portable propane showers? I bought my wife the Zodi Instant Shower kit for Christmas, we'll see how it works. I am interested to hear if anyone else has had any experience with anything like this. Here's a link
enjoy hot water anytime anywhere with zodi on demand hot water and portable hot showers, over 40 camping comfort products
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tin View Post
Has anyone tried any of the portable propane showers? I bought my wife the Zodi Instant Shower kit for Christmas, we'll see how it works. I am interested to hear if anyone else has had any experience with anything like this. Here's a link
enjoy hot water anytime anywhere with zodi on demand hot water and portable hot showers, over 40 camping comfort products
Zodi is just one of many small tankless(instant) water heaters available but I believe all of them are for outdoor use only. I found a slightly larger unit in a RV parts magazine and got excited until they quoted a price of $1,700. If anyone knows of a small inexpensive unit that can be installed inside with fumes exhausted outside I for one would be very interested. I have 3 reasons for going this route. 1)Requires less space in trailer.
2)Probably about 50 lbs. lighter because you don't store 6 gals of water, and 3)more efficient by not maintaining 6 gals of hot water.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Water is 10 lbs per Gal 6 gal = 60 lbs of water
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 71 Boler
I've just got a 13' so inside isn't an option anyways. I've also got a shower tent which is just like a shower stall, I also have some of those snap together wood slat tiles that they make for decks etc, the plan is to put the wood slats down and set the shower tent on top and then make up a pole that mounts to the bumper or something to hold the shower head. My wife has always wanted to camp at sites with hookups and showers but this way I hope to get her out to some more primitive sites
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
More like 8.3 lbs per gallon for fresh water (sea water is a tad heavier).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tin View Post
Look on eBay for propane tankless hot water heaters. I mounted similar one in a 10' overhead slide in Camper I had years ago. If I get another 13' I will istall one of these.
It worked well. The new units do not have a standing pilot and the burner is only on when you are using the hot water. The burner gasses do need to be vented.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Alan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
hot shower

I just ordered one on a new camper. It is a tankless propane hot water system made by Garland. I will post as soon as I get mine and let you know how it works, ALan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F. View Post
Zodi is just one of many small tankless(instant) water heaters available but I believe all of them are for outdoor use only. I found a slightly larger unit in a RV parts magazine and got excited until they quoted a price of $1,700. If anyone knows of a small inexpensive unit that can be installed inside with fumes exhausted outside I for one would be very interested. I have 3 reasons for going this route. 1)Requires less space in trailer.
2)Probably about 50 lbs. lighter because you don't store 6 gals of water, and 3)more efficient by not maintaining 6 gals of hot water.
Bill
Old Man Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brian, here's a topic you may want to read: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-43779.html There's several posters that have talked about the shower configurations.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Mine is only 3 gallons and electric, small and light and can run off a generator if needed.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:59 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Camping world has their direct ignition propane heater on sale again this week for $99 via Internet. It's on-demand so there's no water tank. It's not intended for use in confined spaces, but some people have done so in vented bathrooms.

Look for the eccotemp portable water heater
Old 01-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Before Canada switched to metric we used to use the imperial gallon(4.54 litres) and it weighed 10 lbs. I assumed most of these heaters were made in the US and would be using the US gallon(3.78 litres) which is smaller and weighs about 8.3 lbs.
Bill
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I bought the Eccotemp L5 portable heater last year to use as an outdoor shower on our camping site in the mountains. I believe this is the same one Matt was talking about at Camping World... looks the same.
It's portable, for outdoor use only. It's clearly labeled that way, and I would only use it outdoors. Eccotemp makes other models for indoor use (vented).
One year's experience says it's fabulous: worked great out of the box, came with every possible connector requiring no extra half-hour drive to Home Depot or Ace for a fitting, and good, clear directions. Should you lose the instruction booklet, it's available online with color photos.
The handheld shower head has a cutoff. There are adjustments for both temperature and pressure on the heater (and it runs very hot, even with a very, very cold mountain spring water source), and the heater is a simple pleasure to use. The ignition is via two D cell batteries, which we disconnect between trips, and have lasted a year. Negligible gas consumption, even with daily showers for three people and ten days.
I love it. Steady, completely even temperature no matter what. Zero bursts of cold water... always the same steady stream of perfect water... even after shutting off the valve for a moment to shampoo. We hang the heater off the back of a shed from a nail.

I bought ours at Overstock for about the same price. It's readily available from a number of sources online for 100 to 120 dollars.
It does require a pressurized water source, no tank like the Zodi and similar models. A small 12 volt pump could turn a 5 gallon bucket into a water tank, though, I guess, if you didn't have a pressurized system available.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #13

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Robert Johans: outside shower for 13' very good design just click link below 9th post on first page
Water heater for a 13' Scamp placement with outside shower. You could ask Robert Johans for some inside shots?
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan smo View Post
I just ordered one on a new camper. It is a tankless propane hot water system made by Garland. I will post as soon as I get mine and let you know how it works, ALan
Hi alan,
What kind of camper? maybe I could find one locally and have a look. I already looked at Garland site but found only commercial kitchen equipment. Maybe there are two different companies.

Bill
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hi alan,
What kind of camper?
Bill
Alan's profile says he's ordered a Lil Snoozy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
I purchased a Zodi 10 years ago ($60) and used it for tent camping. I like it a lot. I am converting it to be plumbed into the trailer's water system.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Solar Shower?

Quote:
Hi alan,
What kind of camper? maybe I could find one locally and have a look. I already looked at Garland site but found only commercial kitchen equipment. Maybe there are two different companies.

Bill
Just a thought, consider solar showers. They are small, very, very cheap, and a 2.5 gallon one will shower two. Mine is:

Amazon.com: Super Solar Shower: Sports & Outdoors

Drawback is that one must leave it in the sun for a few hours to heat up, or heat water upon the stove and add to it if it is cloudy. I suppose one could use it inside one's RV shower. For twenty bucks or so it does work.

I have had it now for a couple years and even showered in a little gully while parked at Quartzite.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Alan's profile says he's ordered a Lil Snoozy.
Thank you Donna. Never thought of looking at Alan's profile. Now I,m wondering if a Lil Snoozy is a distant cousin of the L'il Bigfoot I used to have.
Bill
Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hmm, I wonder if Alan's complete last name is Smoakin?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I also looked for a Garland instant water heater (and tankless, and on demand... a variety of key words, with or without camping, rv, portable, etc.) and got no results (other than Garland TX plumbers) on google, bing,and yahoo.
I've used a number of brands of tankless heaters, electric and gas, and am familiar with a lot of brands.
Perhaps a misspelling?
Always interested in seeing something new.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote