Portapotty use question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Portapotty use question

Do portapottys smell up a small trailer when used? Any problems with using them? Also if anyone knows the height of the opening under the front bunk of a cassita 17 spirit standard where I plan to store it. Greatly appreciate this help as I ponder my trailer selection.
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Used a porta potty for years in the Compact Jr. No odors or any other problems.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Same here. With only minor upkeep, about the same as at home, our Dometic SeaLand 975 remains odor free.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I first got my trailer we had issues with smelly porta potty when you opened them during use. We were using formaldehyde free chemical (green Color) it didn't work very well to control order. We then went to the standard blue type and it worked better but not good enough. Then I read the complete directions all the way to the end where your supposed to use a much higher concentration in a porta potty than in a regular holding tank. That helped allot. We use a porta potty with a very small holding tank and have an extra holding tank. We swap tanks and dump it basically every day when we can and not holding it for more than 3 days or so. I'd rather carry a 5 lb jug to dump than a 25 lb jug. We mainly use it at night only, except when boon-docking where there are no facility's at hand. I think some people are too frugal with the flush water and that helps concentrate the smell. When the tank is close to full the water tank should be close to empty too. I know I had this issue in the beginning.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Yes, I found that to be true...not enough chemical, get smelly potty. I most likely use more than I need but that's OK with me.

I use the formaldehyde as it works much better. Sorry environment but you do what you gotta do, especially in a little trailer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking More information than you care to have...

We had, and still have, a Porta Potti Continental which we used when tent camping.
Since graduating to Homelet, we had to buy a smaller Porta Potti 135 to fit under the opening by the door. I built a little platform we set it on so we don't have to sit so low.
We have had no odor problems. I empty it every morning, either into the sewer pipe at the campsite, in a toilet at the campsite or at the first rest stop.
One time we did have an odor and that was when we didn't use it much and I thought it would be okay to let it sit for another night. Then it smelled when emptying it.
I rinse it out when emptying, and throw in a 'glug' of treatment and a cup of water.
We do not put water into the flush mechanism, we have found (thanks to this website) that an old detergent bottle, and now a 64oz old juice bottle with a small hole drilled through the cap works better.
So far, we have not had to use it for solids.
One other thing, I always take it apart outside Homelet on the door mat, leave the top sitting on the mat, and take the bottom to the emptying place.

SOME TIPS:

1. Open the valve after traveling, but NEVER with the lid up. If you have gained altitude, or the atmospheric pressure has dropped, the holding tank is pressurized and it will give you an unplanned shower. (Don't ask how I know this.)
It became so pressurized once, that I had to open the valve while in the cubby because the tank swelled so much it didn't fit through the opening.
2. DO NOT use formaldehyde containing treatments. Most campsites ban formaldehyde because they have septic tanks and the formaldehyde kills the beneficial bacteria. If you are found doing this, you may be charged for a septic tank cleaning.
3. It's either a Porta Potti or the 'stinky slinky' and the unpleasant procedures associated with holding tanks. I prefer our Porta Potti.

Answer to Carl Pa's post #9. We don't do it very often, but when we do, we just do it. It isn't that obvious what it is if you aren't familiar with PPs, and if you are, you probably do it too. LOL

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You've received excellent advice so far (I learned a few things too). Although we try to use the porta-pottie for #1 only we sometimes need to use it for #2. At home I use a product called "Poo-Pourri" which I spray into the toilet before #2. It smells fresh and lovely (I kid you not) when sprayed into the toilet. It is made of essential oils only. I'm thinking of bringing some along when camping. At $15 per bottle it seems pricey but I can tell you our bottle has lasted several months at home. Girls Don't Poop - www.poopourri.com - Poo~Pourri Enjoy the video!

One additional tip. Put only liquid in the porta-pottie and place TP in a covered, plastic-bag lined garbage can which you empty each morning. The "flow" of #1 is much smoother when you empty the porta-pottie, if you get my drift. http://www.amazon.com/Estilo-Round-B...words=step+can
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Spoiler Alert.... Not for the Squeemish at heart, butt here's how it works.
Note: Dialoged is in Brit 2A, Similar to Canadian 3C Set translator to American English 100.

More:FAQ's, Frequently Asked Questions - Poo~Pourri

Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We had, and still have, a Porta Potti Continental which we used when tent camping.
Since graduating to Homelet, we had to buy a smaller Porta Potti 135 to fit under the opening by the door. I built a little platform we set it on so we don't have to sit so low.
We have had no odor problems. I empty it every morning, either into the sewer pipe at the campsite, in a toilet at the campsite or at the first rest stop.
One time we did have an odor and that was when we didn't use it much and I thought it would be okay to let it sit for another night. Then it smelled when emptying it.
I rinse it out when emptying, and throw in a 'glug' of treatment and a cup of water.
We do not put water into the flush mechanism, we have found (thanks to this website) that an old detergent bottle, and now a 64oz old juice bottle with a small hole drilled through the cap works better.
So far, we have not had to use it for solids.
One other thing, I always take it apart outside Homelet on the door mat, leave the top sitting on the mat, and take the bottom to the emptying place.

SOME TIPS:

1. Open the valve after traveling, but NEVER with the lid up. If you have gained altitude, or the atmospheric pressure has dropped, the holding tank is pressurized and it will give you an unplanned shower. (Don't ask how I know this.)
It became so pressurized once, that I had to open the valve while in the cubby because the tank swelled so much it didn't fit through the opening.
2. DO NOT use formaldehyde containing treatments. Most campsites ban formaldehyde because they have septic tanks and the formaldehyde kills the beneficial bacteria. If you are found doing this, you may be charged for a septic tank cleaning.
3. It's either a Porta Potti or the 'stinky slinky' and the unpleasant procedures associated with holding tanks. I prefer our Porta Potti.
How does one walk into a rest area carrying a 4-5 Gal. waste section of porta-potti. Seems strange to me, i could not bring myself to do such a thing. I would seek out a dump station, pay if i must. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I just place it in a cloth bag (same type that may be used for all your shower items) and walk in. If you still feel wierd about it, you could go under the cover of darkness.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:38 AM   #11

Registry
Wink Answers

Answer to Gilda's post #7:
Not flushing the paper sounds like Russia. It is my understanding that in Russia they have a little waste basket next to the porcelain to handle the paperwork so to speak. I don't know if they don't know how to make dissolvable paper or their sewage system is too primitive.

Answer to Bob Miller's post #8:
An interesting concept, but since our waste contains only liquid (and the necessary paper) and we don't let it ferment, it doesn't smell that bad. Of course I could be wrong. I am getting older and things don't work all that well anymore, smell being one of them.

Answer to Carl Pa's post #9:
We don't do it very often, but when we do, we just do it. It isn't that obvious what it is if you aren't familiar with PPs, and if you are, you probably do it too. But TEHO!

Old 10-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Roger, I've never seen anything banning the blue stuff. No signs and usually the staff are far far away. I use Aqua Kem. About cap full does the job. Like you, I use the detergent squeeze bottle. I would think the dilution would make it a minor issue at most? If they are banning this stuff then they better ban antibacterial soap as well. Thanks for the heads up. I'll try not to get caught. Makes me feel like a bit of a rebel. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:29 AM   #13

Actually I was just adding to Gilda's excellent suggestion in post #7. However, the product mentioned, Poo-Porri, only works when you have a loo that has enough water in it to submerge the stuff (see post #8 if this makes no sense) LOL

As far as carrying in a waste tank to a rest area..... No problem, it's not illegal, I've never seen signage prohibiting it, and I am sure that any that are offended, don't think that they even need to use Poo-Porri..... LOL again.

Judy and I went to Russia many, many years ago, (1969) and there, and in the old East Germany (1990?), it was suggested to bring ones own t.p. as the local stuff was soooo rough that it's like using sandpaper, and I am sure it doesn't dissolve worth a darn.

Butt you don't have to go that far, t.p. baskets are more common than not in Mexico (due to inadequate sewer systems?) and also in SoCal, due to users habits being hard to break. Unfortunately it's often tossed on the floor when a basket isn't available. For this reason, walk carefully when using public restrooms in SoCal, especially at Flea Markets and similar venues.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Speaking of Porta-Potty odors.

Mamy years ago my wife and I bought a used Pickup Camper that had been sitting unused for several months. It had a new looking Porta-Potty in a small closet.

After we got it home, and after I received instructions from my lovely wife to remove and scrub the PP with bleach....I found the PP was FULL! And I mean full to the very top with #1 &#2!

However, there was no odor! I don't know what kind of additive the PO had used...and I was too mad at him to ask...but it sure worked!

Now I just use the blue stuff, and it works fine.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
To clarify about the Poo-Pourri...Yes, at home with a real toilet you spray it before #2 to make an oil layer on the water which keeps smells from escaping. I'm thinking just a spritz of it in the porta-pottie for #1 OR #2 would provide a pleasant scent. Pardon the graphic image, but I'm wondering if a spritz of Poo-Pourri in the porta-pottie (since it is an oil) before #2 might provide a slick surface to prevent brown streaks?

As to the "no tissue" in the porta-pottie reminding you of the Soviet Union...there are many countries that use that method to save sensitive plumbing. Even here in California, where we are experiencing a 4 year drought and using low-flow toilets we are sometimes asked to do the same especially in rural areas that have septic systems.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #16

Registry
Talking Formaldehyde

California Bans Formaldehyde-based RV Toilet Chemicals

Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Just going to toss this out there for you to consider. I was told by a friend many years ago that he used Pine-Sol in the black tank. I've used it for 20 years with XLNT results. Just a cup after emptying the tank and recharging it, grey tank too. There is also nothing in the MSDS that is banned or requiring special disposal. Not any different from emptying your mop bucket down the sink and it hasn't caused any problems with my septic system either . The few times I have gone to use a public dump station and was asked about any chemicals in the tank the Pine-Sol was always fine with them. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #18

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
The only time we had an odor problem was with a cheap potty. It also developed a leak. We bought a good quality one and had no more difficulties. Mostly it is used for #1 but occasionally for #2 as well - depends how far away the real toilet is! Paper gets flushed too. The tank gets emptied as needed down the campground toilet - sometimes a pit, sometimes a septic tank, sometimes a regular flush loo. Hubby once saw a park employee dumping the same blue stuff we use into the regular campground toilet. I guess that means - no problem - carry on.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote