Portapotty use question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
To clarify about the Poo-Pourri...Yes, at home with a real toilet you spray it before #2 to make an oil layer on the water which keeps smells from escaping. I'm thinking just a spritz of it in the porta-pottie for #1 OR #2 would provide a pleasant scent. Pardon the graphic image, but I'm wondering if a spritz of Poo-Pourri in the porta-pottie (since it is an oil) before #2 might provide a slick surface to prevent brown streaks?

As to the "no tissue" in the porta-pottie reminding you of the Soviet Union...there are many countries that use that method to save sensitive plumbing. Even here in California, where we are experiencing a 4 year drought and using low-flow toilets we are sometimes asked to do the same especially in rural areas that have septic systems.

The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Talking Formaldehyde

California Bans Formaldehyde-based RV Toilet Chemicals

A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #17
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Just going to toss this out there for you to consider. I was told by a friend many years ago that he used Pine-Sol in the black tank. I've used it for 20 years with XLNT results. Just a cup after emptying the tank and recharging it, grey tank too. There is also nothing in the MSDS that is banned or requiring special disposal. Not any different from emptying your mop bucket down the sink and it hasn't caused any problems with my septic system either . The few times I have gone to use a public dump station and was asked about any chemicals in the tank the Pine-Sol was always fine with them. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #18
Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
The only time we had an odor problem was with a cheap potty. It also developed a leak. We bought a good quality one and had no more difficulties. Mostly it is used for #1 but occasionally for #2 as well - depends how far away the real toilet is! Paper gets flushed too. The tank gets emptied as needed down the campground toilet - sometimes a pit, sometimes a septic tank, sometimes a regular flush loo. Hubby once saw a park employee dumping the same blue stuff we use into the regular campground toilet. I guess that means - no problem - carry on.

Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote