PO's 12"-Thick Mattress Precludes Cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Red face PO's 12"-Thick Mattress Precludes Cushions

Hi, All,

I just bought a preowned 2014 Casita 17'SD with a rather interesting but inconvenient mod. The PO found the factory cushions made for an uncomfortable bed, so they replaced them with a foot-thick foam mattress. At my request the PO gave me the cushions for the large dinette that's now inaccessible. However, said cushions now consume most of my tow vehicle. In two months I'll need that space to launch my fulltiming life.

What would you do? My options seem to be to:

* put them under the mattress (=16"),
* sell them,
* cut the mattress in half horizontally and put them under half (=10"),
* sell the monster mattress and buy a 4" mattress?

Please think of something easy. I want to hang onto the cushions for the next owner, don't I?

Thanks!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Use the cushions and get a 3" memory foam mattress topper from Costco. Sell/toss the 12" mattress or keep it in your garage until you are sure you like the other. The topper can be rolled to store. Might require you both sit on the same side of the dinette unless you are really good at rolling it up!

FWIW we went full-time bed in our CompactII , hubby sits on bed and I have a folding chair. We put a cutting board across a conveniently placed drawer for dinner.

Obviously we don't full time.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
LOL I never worry about the next owner.. I do what I think is best for me.
And so should you I think, find out what is comfortable and works for you.. but one thing I would consider... Is it cheap foam or high quality natural or Dunlap latex?
most likely its cheap stuff and I would not be in a hurry to keep it.. but if the PO splurged on the good stuff.. well I can tell you that my queen size natural latex bed came in at almost two grand and should last 20 years or thereabouts.. so find out what you got.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Maybe it's a Southern Mattress, they are custom made to fit in a Casita, and supposed to be good quality. I think their prices are in the $800 and up range.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have a Southern Mattress in my Casita and also have the cushions with no where to put them. However it is such a comfortable mattress compared to the cushions I would never give it up. If it is that type they are sought after and a great addition when you sell but that maybe does not matter to you.
A lot of people just get rid of/sell the cushions. Maybe try sleeping on both before you decide.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree with trying out both for a few nights before deciding. Hauling both around while full-timing seems impractical. If you decide to use the original cushions, I'd put the Southern mattress up for sale. There are a lot of Casita owners out there, so you should be able to find a buyer. If you keep the big mattress... sell the original cushions, store at a family member's house, store the covers only and get rid of the foam, ???
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #7

Florida
it's a memory foam mattress that is sold by Sam's Club for $326 about. I paid the POs extra for it mostly because I knew I would need something more than the cushions AND I was anxious to close the deal, knowing the other mods that were made by Little House Customs.

So OK, I will sell the mattress and buy a topper so I can hang onto the cushions. I may need to sell the Casita after about five years, when I'm even older than I am now! Thanks for helping me work this out.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
"I may need to sell the Casita after about five years, when I'm even older than I am now!"
The idea is for the Casita to help keep you moving and acting younger.

They say age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #9

Name: Paula
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2015 18.5
California
Registry
homeless shelter

Hi Wendy
I love what the previous owners did with the cushions in the 2013 Casita that I bought from them. They donated the dinette cushions to the Mission in downtown L.A. for the homeless to sleep on. They replaced these cushions with a full bed 18" tall and this bed is a dream to sleep on! I thank them every time I sleep on this bed!
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a 8" memory foam mattress in my 2013 Casita .The cushions are stored in an upstairs closet in my home. We found the cushions uncomfortable for sleeping . When we sell the trailer ,I will remove the mattress and replace it with the cushions. We leave our bed made up at all times so there was no sense in dragging the cushion everywhere we go .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #11

Florida
Paula -- I love that idea! So you don't mind that you will never have the cushions in case you want to make up the four-person dinette again? That makes sense now. The next buyer will be someone who wants the bed permanently set up.

Steve Dunham -- I won't have a home other than the Casita. No storage anywhere other than what I will travel with. Daunting!!