Possible frame damage to potential purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: In the market
California
Possible frame damage to potential purchase

I'm looking to potentially purchase a 1982 Scamp, but it seems to have some structural damage to the door/front seat area (where repairs have been somewhat attempted) and there is a small gap when the door is closed. According to the research I've done, the damage I'm seeing (based on photos) could mean it has frame issues. Attached are a few pictures the current owner shared. Hoping someone might have some insight into what the damage could be/how serious it is. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0818.jpg   IMG_0819.jpg  

IMG_0823.jpg   IMG_1480.jpg  

emilys4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape
Ohio
frame issue

there are not enough photos to determine if there is frame issues
you really need to inspect the entire frame to determine if rust or broken welds are present

it appears it will need some floor work...there are several threads on replacing floors that you can review to determine if its worth the investment

hope this helps
Vanover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Looks like a problem. I’m not a Scamp guy and you will need better pics. Really, are you comfortable with a project? Often IMHO, you don’t really save money on projects and you need the time and covered workspace. I bought a Trillium project last year, knowing it wasn’t a smart move financially, but I just like projects. I have no doubt I will have more into it when I am done than it is worth, and that’s with counting my time as free. I also have covered workspace, both a garage and a separate carport.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Last picture is upside down I see crumbling particle board under the door. I’d figure some frame repairs (beefing it up) and some floor replacement. I’d look at the rest of the floor very carefully. Read threads on rotten Scamp floor and Scamp frame repair and see what others dealt with. Projects are best do it yourself jobs. If you pay a shop to do it, price will be that much higher.

Again a Scamp person could guide you more.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
There are things there that do nor belong at all.
The Reinforcement under the floor is not original and the bolts through the pressed board are not original and are probably masking problems.
Hard to tell from the pictures, but I would say that there is damage under and on either side of the door and for me that means that there is cracking in the bend on the other side as well.
As to if it is worthwhile that depends on the price and how good you are at doing the work yourself. Paying someone to fix it would be out of the question, in my opinion.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Look up some threads on body bulge or body sag.

The area you are focusing on is a known weak point.

The x-hatched area in the foreground of your last picture is suspicious. What is underneath that? (agree with earlier comments on the pressed wood)

Next I would be looking at the wood floors. are they solid and attached.

When it comes to this, spend a lot of time researching the problem.

I see you are in California. The guys at Happier Camper https://happiercamper.com/ might be able to help you diagnose and find someone to fix it. They started out restoring and renting http://happierrentals.com/history/ trailers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote