post winterizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I just installed a water heater bypass kit, and a permanent pump bypass for the anti-freeze pick-up.
I blew out the water lines, I filled 'em up with the pink stuff, now do I close the taps or do I leave them open?
My anti-freeze is rated -40, and it is not unusual to see -45 here.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Last year, I blew out the lines then put pink stuff in them and then I blew them out again. Why not get rid of the pink stuff now instead of waiting for spring?
I haven't seen this mentioned but why not if maybe you think the pink stuff might leave a taste?
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It really doesn't make much difference, Joe. Leave 'em open if you'd like I guess! I leave mine closed when filled with pink.

Chris, you can blow it out if you want, but its really easier just to flush it with fresh water in the spring on your first camping excursion. The anti-freeze really doesn't have a taste. I winterized the Big Bigfoot last week 'cause we had some sub-freezing temps, and then we used it Weds thru this morning. I just flushed the lines out with fresh water after filling the tank, and we were good to go. I dumped the tanks this morning, and let the fresh water tank and water heater drain themselves out. I'll re-winterize with pink antifreeze after work tonight.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If a plumbing system is filled with water which might freeze, then leaving a faucet open would allow for some expansion during freezing, perhaps preventing damage. With a system which is mostly full of air, it's easy for the air to compress and expand, so I don't see an advantage to leaving the taps open - and the pipes will stay free of unwanted visitors if there's nothing open.

So, with air in the lines near the faucets, I'm guessing that it's not a big deal either way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote