Power Convertor for LED Lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Power Convertor for LED Lights

I am converting all the lights on our 1977 Surfside to LED . The power convertor is probably the original Powertron PM901A and the new lights flicker . From what I have learned this is caused due to the fact that the old covertor produces 12 volt ac current and since the LED's are polarity sensitive they are only lighting half the time . I would not mind replacing the convertor , since the old one hums quite loud , annoying since it is right under the bed. My question is how can I be sure that the new one will not be the same ? The ones I have been looking at are the Hengs ELX12 or the WFCO WF 8712P . Anyone have any advice ? Thanks Bob
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don't know the answer, but my LEDs do not usually flicker running on the original converter in my old Scamp. They do however flicker when the auxilary fan is running that I mounted to help the side mount A/C unit cool on really hot days. I only run the fan during the day when we don't need the lights so it has not been a problem. Note that I do not currently have a battery mounted. I wonder if a battery in the circuit might help "even out" the flow and help prevent flicker? Also, could your issue more properly be called 12V "pulsating" DC rather than calling it AC? I am sure one of our resident Electrical Engineers will be along shortly.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A new converter should put out DC as it charges the battery also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Look at this:
Power Supply 110V Converter 12V - $65.95
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to get to complicated, but sounds like you might have "Half Wave DC" if they are pulsing at 30 times a second that's what's happening, you are only getting one/half the ac sine wave, it's DC, but it sux for your LEDs.

I don't know anything about the ELIX12, but I have seen a lot problems with the Chinese made WFCO's. Scamp used to use them (ours smoked) and has since gone to the PD-4045 I recommend below.

For just a few $$ more you can get a Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 that will take care of everything, give you a new AC distribution system, a 45 amp converter (super clean) with 12 fused circuits for anything you might want in the future, and a 3 stage smart battery charger. Usually available on-line for less than $175/ I have installed a number of them in RV's without any problems.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

Name: Stephanie and Mark
Trailer: Trillium Sidekick 4500
Washington
Food for thought...Not all LED bulbs are created equal. If the LED bulbs were made for Automotive light bulb replacements they are more sensitive to the fluctuation in power and will dim and brighten as the voltage varies. If the LEDs were made for the RV/Marine customer they are made with a wider variance of acceptable voltage.

At least that's what I have read.
sbergeron00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You may have a bad capacitor in you converter which can cause you to have pulsating DC or as Bob suggested a bad rectifier (diode) Neither is hard to repair or costly.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
From what I have learned this is caused due to the fact that the old covertor produces 12 volt ac current and since the LED's are polarity sensitive they are only lighting half the time . I would not mind replacing the convertor , since the old one hums quite loud , annoying since it is right under the bed. My question is how can I be sure that the new one will not be the same ? The ones I have been looking at are the Hengs ELX12 or the WFCO WF 8712P . Anyone have any advice ? Thanks Bob
Funny I was speaking with well known fiberglass trailer manufacture about the same issue, as my LED's stated to suddenly flicker last summer when plugged in but not when not plugged in. They suggest that in their experience it was an indication that the converter is on its last legs and not delivering power at a nice smooth rate. They had apparently had some experience with fairly new converters having the same problem - just before the converters out and out failed.

I was told a new converter regardless of make should fix the problem although the Progressive Dynamic converters with the smart charge are a popular one on this forum.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Gee Carol, guess that wasn't Scamp and a WFCO converter was it? I wondered why they dumped WFCO for PD, which is substantially more expensive.... LOL

Old 04-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Gee Carol, guess that wasn't Scamp and a WFCO converter was it? I wondered why they dumped WFCO for PD, which is substantially more expensive.... LOL
Nope it wasn't Scamp I was speaking with - a more local to me company that is nice enough to do updates and/or repairs on my Scamp even though they build SOB of fiberglass trailer and nope my old converter is not a WFCo converter & pretty sure the party I was speaking with has never used the old converters Scamp was using at one point in their trailers either.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

Manitoba
Thanks everyone for your help , I will search out a Progressive Dynamics product . Anyone else have suggestions I will keep watching . Thanks again Bob
Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #12

Manitoba
Hi Again , My local RV supplier suggests an Inteli Power 9100 . Anyone have any experience with this unit ? Thanks Bob
Old 04-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
A new set of filter caps in the charger will fix it and if there is no battery installed that might also do the trick.
New is good too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #14

The Intelipower 9100 is only a Converter Charger. The PD-4045 has a complete AC distribution panel, a 12 circuit fused DC distribution section as well as a converter and a smart charger. Currently about $175 at vintagetrailersupply.com. Lower prices may be available.

That way you can update and up=grade to 2015 electrical standards and future needs in one fell swoop...

Old 04-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #15

Fixin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
A new set of filter caps in the charger will fix it and if there is no battery installed that might also do the trick.
New is good too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
It "Might" be filter caps, it "Might: be a blown diode or it Might" be the secondary on the CT Transformer has lost one side. In any event:
1. It's old already
2. It will not have multi-stage charging ability
3. It's rated output is, no doubt very low, usually around 15 amps
4. The OP doesn't sound like he is an electronics' tech and would have to pay some one one to troubleshoot and repair it, costing, no doubt almost as much as a new one. In a worse case scenario, the repairs could cost more than a new unit and yet another component could fail next week, month, year.

For these kinds of questions I tend to opt to update and replace rather than attempt repairs, as those that can make the repairs themselves usually don't ask the same questions.

And yes, I know that some don't agree with that approach but, as Mrs Hofstadter once told her son Leonard, "Buck Up". LOLOLOL

Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
First does the flickering occur only when plugged in? How about when using just the battery? If it happens with the battery then the LED's could be faulty.

There is a good chance your converter is fine but has no filtering circuitry and as such produces pulsating DC. LED's draw such a small current that I would expect the battery to provide enough filtering to take care of it. Is your battery in good condition? Incandescent lamps and motors aren't fussy and so these old converters will do the job. On the other hand electronic circuits like radios, audio, and computers like something closer to real DC. Could be the circuitry controlling your LED's is equally fussy.

The question that never seems to get asked is do you need a converter. A converter is simply a DC power supply with some added circuitry to charge a battery. If you regularly camp with electrical hook ups, a converter is worth the investment. If you normally camp in sites without power, or only spend a night or two where hook ups are available, then a solar set up may be a better choice. Remember your tow vehicle will charge your battery when you are on the road. At home an inexpensive stand alone charger will do the job. I would suggest evaluating the type of camping you do before you replace anything. Take care, Raz

p.s. Quite the sales pitch. Must be Bob hasn't made his quota for this month.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #17

Nope, I just like to promote the belief to be Happy Campers, and upgrading ones FGRV to what is standard practice in 2015 just isn't a bad idea. I seldom overnight or stay where there are power hookups, but my PD 4045 still provides a number of services for me that I wouldn't have without a modern power chassis/converter in my 42 year old FGRV.. Shall I elicit? OK, as long as it was requested:

1. A power chassis provides a control center for ac powr. Many older FGRV's have nothing more than a single circuit breaker for all 120 VAC circuits. This may be OK if all you have are lights and 1 outlet, but that means if anything goes wrong, everything is off.

2. A modern power chassis provides multiple fused DC circuits. Earlier Power chassis had a as little as a single dc circuit breaker or fuse. When anything went wrong, everything went off. In my dinky Hunter Compact-II I am currently using 9 fused circuits. If something goes bad, everything else still works. I even have my LED lighting on three separate circuits, left, right and outside.

3. A modern converter/power chassis will have a 3 stage battery charger, a well known improvement over older converters and cheap-o battery chargers that will over charge batteries and don't have the ability to desulfate batteries, a well known technique to prolong battery life.

I can plug in my Hunter in the driveway and forget it until I am ready to go. The batteries are always topped up and are never overcharged.

As I don't see any manufacturers ditching Power chassis/converters, I think I will stay in that same mode.

IMHO: FGRV's are intended to be enjoyed and doing a little extra to make that enjoyment even easier is money and time well spent.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #18

North Florida
Quote:
The Intelipower 9100 is only a Converter Charger. The PD-4045 has a complete AC distribution panel, a 12 circuit fused DC distribution section as well as a converter and a smart charger. Currently about $175 at vintagetrailersupply.com. Lower prices may be available. That way you can update and up=grade to 2015 electrical standards and future needs in one fell swoop...
While all that is true, the A/C side of my Scamp is fine. Maybe all one needs/wants is the Converter/Charger side of things.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #19

Hmmmmm... I thought that I was answering a question from Robert in Manitoba who has a 1977 Surfside.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #20

North Florida
Quote:
Hmmmmm... I thought that I was answering a question from Robert in Manitoba who has a 1977 Surfside.
I thought you were too. I was just pointing out that there was no mention (unless I missed it) that he had an issue with the A/C side of his system. Note this is an open discussion forum, people besides you can have an opinion and input (which may well be incorrect).

Bob, while I have not been around here as long as you, nor do I have your range of experience with FGRVs or travel trailers in general, I have read enough of your posts to know you quickly and consistently recommend the PD 4045 as a near universal panacea. There MAY be other possibly better, cheaper, and easier solutions to a problem. But when the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like nail.

Tags
led lights, light, lights