power inlet installation question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
power inlet installation question

On my Scamp 13 (2014 model) I'd like to replace the factory-installed power cord pass-through (where you pull the cord out from the exterior) with a power inlet to eliminate the access for curious organisms that seem to find their way into small openings and eliminate the dirt that invariably comes into the storage area when the cord is returned. I'm looking for advice on which product will best fit the existing opening. Is there one that fits without cutting the fiberglass. I know that others have done this and will appreciate advice on how best to go about it.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This is what I put on:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ded-50948.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might want to get a 30 amp connector as I believe that's what your current shore power cord is set up as. Here is a typical unit. If you go to the MFG's site I am sure you can get the dimensions.
Marinco 30 Amp 125 Volt White Power Inlet 301EL B | eBay

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I'm not sure about your Scamp layout but on my Bigfoot the cord comes out of a compartment on the left side forward. I've thought about doing something on the outside to eliminate the small door but I would certainly want a connector that did not stick out on the side of the trailer. My concern would be snagging the cap for the inlet on bushes or plants when towing in some remote areas. A recessed compartment area on the side would solve this problem or I have also considered relocating the inlet to the rear of the trailer and turning the cord storage area into a utility storage area by adding an access door where the cord storage door is currently located. This is one of those projects that might never make it to the top of the "to do" list .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bob Miller has the answer. I put one of these on a Scamp 5r. It saved space under the storage area by eliminating all that heavy cord and it prevented the ants and other critters from getting in. Well worth it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:11 AM   #6

Vermont
Excellent - very helpful information. This is definitely on my fall project list. My appreciation to all of you who responded.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I put one of these on my Boler.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-660.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #8

Vermont
Thanks Raff. Interesting alternative - I hadn't seen it before.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
DAVID...

this is one of my top priorities and I plan to do it this fall or winter, at the same time I put in a hard wired surge protector.

If you do it, please post your experience and any tips, tricks, techniques and suggestions based on how it goes for you. thanks

PS. I have to say that the Furrion marine one, while very nice, is unneeded expense and overkill for a travel trailer (IMHO).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
This is how I did it. Works well. See picture at.http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...etc-62768.html

I chose to add a removable shore power cable like so many before me.
I made a plywood donut to fit in the Scamp's original shore power port and inserted a ParkPower 150BBIWRV 15 Amp White Power Inlet from Amazon at $20.00. Sealed it up with some sticky white sealer. All my loads will total less than 15 amp, usually far less. There is now no entry for water or little critters crawling up the cable. And the new #12 cable is about one third the size and weight of the factory choice, plus its twice as long.
I recently added a window AC. Its rarely used. It draws about 5 amps running and less than 15 starting so no problem with my changes. Voltage drop with 50 feet of cable is insignificant too, though I may throw in a 25 footer when I bring the AC along.

In the picture the dark ring around the parkpower inlet is the plywood ring/donut I made for a nice fit inside Scamps original inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp electrical 2.jpg   IMG_1208.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Just be aware it is a close fit close fit if using the existing power cord hole. The newer Scamp round power cable cover is 4.5" in dia., mounting rivets are 4" and the shell hole appears to be 3.25". The outer Dia. of the Furrion is 4" with 3.45" for the screw mounting holes. With a backer plate and filling the current rivet holes (with white Marine-Tex.) you should be able to make the SS 30A Furrion connector work and have a factory like fit.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Simplicity can be your friend.

To keep dirt out of the storage compartment an old towel works great. As the cord is push in wipe it down with a towel.
To keep thinks like spiders out there's spider spray that work great, just spray around the hole every couple months.
I also added a small partition to the compartment keeps the poser cords and hoses contained in the front part while sleeping bags get stored to the rear. The partition is simply a small piece of 1/4" plywood with attached to couple short pieces of 1x2 which is then attached to the floor of compartment.

The above has worked great for the last 10 years.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'm looking for advice on which product will best fit the existing opening. Is there one that fits without cutting the fiberglass. I know that others have done this and will appreciate advice on how best to go about it.[/QUOTE]

I found a 30 amp bulkhead connector at Menard's, or you can try any good Electrical supply store. I think the manufacturer is "Leviton"
It was a lot less $$$ than a marine type, which has to be water proof.
This one says it is rain proof with the lid closed.
I cut the existing Scamp cord and spliced it to the new connectors so I did not have to disturb the existing connections at the power center.
I used the original hole to locate the cargo door for access to the storage space.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
David
I have the same issue, I usually put in a access door where the power connector usually is like Wayne Collins did and just drill a new hole for a twist lock connector. On my current trailer the power cord is above the running light and I have to use the existing hole which is quite large. I think the SS Furrion connector from vintage trailer can cover up the existing hole if you make a backer plate.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The 15 amp connector I put in was too small. My neighbour helped me make up an aluminium adaptor plate to fit the existing hole.

I see very little reason for more then 15 amps, if you don't have air conditioning.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #16

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Excellent - very helpful information. This is definitely on my fall project list. My appreciation to all of you who responded.
Well, oddly enough fall was quickly followed by Vermont winter and I've just now finished this project. So apologies for the delay in reporting back to you on the results.

Because I had a (small) preference for leaving the exterior look of the scamp unchanged, and because we are very limited users of shore power, I elected to use the marinco 20 amp inlet. It fits very nicely in the existing plastic "cup" just inside the electric cable access door. I cut off the just enough of the pointed fingers that the cable slides through to create an opening to fit the inlet. I then fabricated two rings of high density poly (from old cutting boards) the same ID as the inlet and OD the same as the plastic "cup". One ring was fit against the interior of the plastic cup, one on the outside. Small stainless bolts hold the inlet and the sandwich of rings and the rim of the cup together with the whole thing sealed with caulk.

None of this work precludes me or a future owner reverting to the full 30 amps by fitting a different inlet if needed.

I'm pleased with the results. No more access for dirt or critters and we've gained valuable storage space. Here are a few pics. Although we don't carry heavy items in this compartment, I added the aluminum bar shown in the interior shot to provides protection to the wiring as it comes from the of the inlet in case objects bang against it while in transit. What may appear to be an opening next to the exterior wall is actually bright morning sun coming through the plastic of the "cup" that Scamp installs just inside the electrical access door.
Attached Thumbnails
ext closed.JPG   ext open.JPG  

41QgJs8foRL.jpg   interior.JPG  

Old 03-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #17

Vermont
Not sure why the first two photos were rotated in the inserting process, but you get the picture.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nice job. I went the same route switching from 30 to 15. The Marinco components are top shelf. To protect the extension cord I use, I changed the breaker in the converter to 15 amps as well. Camp ground electrical is questionable as far as I'm concerned Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #19

Vermont
Thanks. I agree re the fusing - I also replaced mine as part of the switch to 20 amp.