Power supply - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel

I checked the 12v outlet in my Casita today and it is getting 27v of AC through the power converter.

Do any of you out there ever heard of this happening?

The converter is a paralax.

Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
No, I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything because the only converters I've actually seen are the one I own and the ones in trailers in showrooms.

If I saw 27 VAC at the converter outlet, I would back away carefully and kill the supply breaker. I have to guess that it's possible something is shorted in the converter, and that can't be good. Another possibility is that this particular design is intended to be operated only with a battery connected, and the battery is required for output power filtering (without the battery, the output would be a very spiky DC which could look like a higher voltage AC to some meters).

The Parallax web site may have some useful information - it has all sorts of guides and diagrams, but you need to know your model number.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Something that`s not likely but always possible ........have you moved and wiring around lately? You could get higher voltages on the 12V side if you have 12V and 110V in close proximity to each other, possibly wrapped around each other......induction could cause a higher voltage on the low voltage side......had problems many years ago with that when I ran 110 V to run the linear actuators to swing the dishes and 12 V thru the same conduit for satellite dishes and used to fry 12 V components at the feed horn and took a few burn ups to stop blaming the components and to find out why, LOL.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What does it do when you put a load on it such as a heating device?

Did you measure with a scope or meter?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
People still have oscilloscopes?
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #6
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
If you are measuring this with a high impedance voltmeter on a convertor that is open-circuited, I would expect this amount of "ripple", or more.

However, if the convertor is hooked up to a fully charged, known good battery (as it should be) and you are measuring this much at the battery terminals, I would be suspicious.

If the battery is discharged some, and you are measuring at the convertor output, you would expect to see more ripple there than downstream at the battery terminal due to resistance in the leads between the convertor and battery.

If you really don't like ripple, replace your convertor with a lab power supply. It will have additional internal filtering that can reduce the ripple to almost zero, depending on what you pay for.

A better idea might be to fill up the tanks on your "power stroke" a couple of times and use the change for an extra battery and switching to allow one battery to be charged at a time, and the other used to provide clean power to your computer, electric fan, or whatever you would consider needing D.C. with no ripple.

Seriously, you should check it out, but I have a feeling that everything is OK.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote